Filename Scraping for TV and Movies
Hey guys, is there a good free alt for Filebot?

I tried a few I found online that were just too complex for for I need, or do too much, more of a media manager than a simple renamer.

I have an older copy of Filebot that until this week, has worked fine. Now, it seems the search isn't working well at all anymore, unless the filename is almost exactly what you need it renamed to, it can't find it. That unludes any characters like "." or "-" in the title instead of spaces. By the time you type it out you may as well rename it yourself. Still ok for a big batch of files for a TV series, but for individual files, not so much.

Just need the ability to drag/drop a group of files, tell the app if movie or TV, and have it scrape the name. I don't need poster art, nfo files, subtitles, etc created.
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
Storage: WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra NAS - 2x4TB WD Blue (WD40EZRZ)
Display: 55" TCL 55R615-CA 4K TV
Maybe try this... https://www.tvrename.com/

I've never used it but recall a member using it to rename files.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-10-18, 07:25)Karellen Wrote: Maybe try this... https://www.tvrename.com/

I've never used it but recall a member using it to rename files.

I lkooked at that one before and didn't quite get how it works... no drag'n'drop, you have to setup folders and such, and I think TV only. I went into prefs, everywhere that asked about folders I added my download folders, but everytime I clicked scan it found nothing. Probably a good app, if I can figure out how to make it scan, but not as straight forward and as simple as FileBot or the one I had before it that I liked but not been updated in a decade, TheRenamer.
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
Have u tried theRenamer?
(2021-10-18, 07:14)THRobinson Wrote: By the time you type it out you may as well rename it yourself
Sure nuff, if you're only adding a few movies & TV shows a week, I don't see an issue.
(2021-10-18, 13:43)Sidewinder_2011 Wrote: Have u tried theRenamer?
The OP has previously enjoyed this software, but changes in the database web sites have basically invalidated it. There are a number of renaming programs available, some better than others. I recommend a media manager for large collections Supplemental tools (wiki), and manually renaming via your favourite movie database for weekly accumulations.

If there is a rule of thumb here, it's support your favourite software.

As mentioned before, that software hasn't had an update in about a decade. It was great but when it died I switched to Filebot, which is no longer free.
(2021-10-19, 02:33)THRobinson Wrote:

As mentioned before, that software hasn't had an update in about a decade. It was great but when it died I switched to Filebot, which is no longer free.

Don't know how , but I some who missed the part you mentioned it, sorryc
(2021-10-18, 19:36)PatK Wrote:
(2021-10-18, 07:14)THRobinson Wrote: By the time you type it out you may as well rename it yourself
Sure nuff, if you're only adding a few movies & TV shows a week, I don't see an issue.
The OP has previously enjoyed this software, but changes in the database web sites have basically invalidated it. There are a number of renaming programs available, some better than others. I recommend a media manager for large collections Supplemental tools (wiki), and manually renaming via your favourite movie database for weekly accumulations.

If there is a rule of thumb here, it's support your favourite software.

Well... like i said, those media managers are overly complex for a single job. i grabbed a few to try and not sure what i was doing wrong but just renaming the files to "Series - E01E01 - Title" format just wasn't happening. No drag/drop and even though I added foldername where I do all my renaming before dumping to my server, the apps wouldn't find anything. 

As I get the files I like to rename and dump to my server in the proper spots. Quit often I use Vidcoder (Handbrake) to resize to where I like, get the srt subs, and dump a whole series into filebot at once and get everything renamed at once then copy to the server. As mentioned before, I don't need all that extra stuff like artwork, or individual nfo files and such. Once on the server, when I start Kodi it scrapes all that info for me.
The presumption is that during the rip & encode you will title scraper friendly. In the case of TV series grabs, the tuner naming convention would be set-up as Naming video files/TV shows (wiki)
(2021-10-19, 05:58)THRobinson Wrote: media managers are overly complex
As noted Filebot might suit, early versions of the program do work as drag & drop, but the latest requires some financial commitment to be appreciative of the effort involved. Your call for a free drag & drop renaming program might be better posted in the feature request forum. Should you stimulate enough interest, perhaps someone with skill will take it upon himself to pursue the challenge for free.
(2021-10-20, 02:57)PatK Wrote: The presumption is that during the rip & encode you will title scraper friendly. In the case of TV series grabs, the tuner naming convention would be set-up as Naming video files/TV shows (wiki)
(2021-10-19, 05:58)THRobinson Wrote: media managers are overly complex
As noted Filebot might suit, early versions of the program do work as drag & drop, but the latest requires some financial commitment to be appreciative of the effort involved. Your call for a free drag & drop renaming program might be better posted in the feature request forum. Should you stimulate enough interest, perhaps someone with skill will take it upon himself to pursue the challenge for free.
As noted.... by me. Big Grin

Yes, as I said my old version is drag/drop and the past week has stopped searching as well, it needs the title to be specific and without any extra text in the field. So, option is to pay for it but, for such a very simple task, I had hoped something free and basic were available.

I feel as though this request has looped back into itself.
(2021-10-20, 03:22)THRobinson Wrote: for such a very simple task
Renaming is a default function of most operating systems, but you want software that not only renames, but utilizes a web connection (networking) to a known internet database of movie names (has api authorization), makes a comparison, scrapes out the target (correctly without a timeout ) based on many parameters that scraper use, then hooks up with o/s for the path and rename while ignoring all extraneous data. Drag&Drop you say...  Let's say 'simple' shouldn't be applied in this case as it's meaning is not hard to understand or do.
(2021-10-20, 03:22)THRobinson Wrote: I feel as though this request has looped back into itself.
Suggest switching hats, programming can be a bright career choice, and I see you definitely have an appreciation for code.
(2021-10-20, 18:14)PatK Wrote:
(2021-10-20, 03:22)THRobinson Wrote:  
Suggest switching hats, programming can be a bright career choice, and I see you definitely have an appreciation for code.

HAHAHA.... oh f#$k no... I hate code. I don't even like "simple" code like HTML/CSS... I use to like web stuff when it was simpler in the '90s, but now you need to know way too many langauges and codes and databases that the enjoyment is gone. I took an intro to BASIC about 25yrs ago, made a small alcohol % calculator for brewing beer with, and that was the highlight of my programming career.

I'm busy now with learning Fusion360 and soon Blender... I'm almost 50, I don't have the brain space or free time to learn programming.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Filename Scraping for TV and Movies0