Wrong time is reported when video is played
Sorry for the long post.  I'm not sure when this started happening, but a lot of the videos I play with Kodi on my Nvidia Shield, as well as on Windows and macOS are reporting the incorrect time when the videos start playing.

Some background.  I use Plex Server to record videos from my over the air antenna.  I then use VideoRedo TV Suite to remove the commercials, as it is able to do it without major re-encoding.  The files are then moved to my Synology NAS so I can watch them with Kodi on my Nvidia Shield.  This set up has worked well for me over the past few years.

Recently, after the 19.3 became available, I noticed that no matter how long the videos are after commercials are removed, no matter if it's around 22 minutes for a 30 minute show, or 44 minutes for an one hour show, when the video is played with Kodi, it's shown as having length of 1:00:29.  It's really weird.  When I look at the listings, as in going up and down the folder to pick which video to watch, the times reported there are correct. e.g., 21:35, 42:48, 40:46, etc.  However, once the video starts playing, and I look at the time with either "M", "I", or "O" from the keyboard, it shows me the wrong total time, but it's always 1:00:29.  This really messes things up as I can't tell when the video will stop playing, and when the show is watched, it always have the half moon symbol instead on the checkmark in the listing.  The files are all MPEG2 transport streams.

At first I thought it could be the video editor I use, but the weird thing is, this same behaviour exists if I cut my videos with a different piece of software, like avidemux.  I get the same 1:00:29 wrong time issue with Kodi on Windows 10, as well as Kodi on macOS (both Intel & M1-which is basically the Intel build running on Rosetta 2).

However, this only happens with my own edited videos.  The uncut, unmodified videos from Plex, as well as other videos like the ones downloaded from YouTube using yt-dlp report the correct time.  It's really weird.

I have been trying to check if there are other people with the same issue, but I haven't been able to find any results... hoping someone can shed some light as to why this is happening.  I have used the same VideoRedo program to cut out commercials on different versions of Windows since 2014 and it's been reliable.

Just for further diagnostics, I found a really old version of SPMC (16.7-04) and sideloaded it on to my Nvidia Shield, and that reports the correct time for the same videos in question... as in no 1:00:29 as total length of video.
the video likely contains the original timestamps, even when the commercials are cut out. It would be up to the editing software to adjust that.
To test this theory, you could test remuxing a file
(2021-11-12, 12:45)wsnipex Wrote: the video likely contains the original timestamps, even when the commercials are cut out. It would be up to the editing software to adjust that.
To test this theory, you could test remuxing a file

Sorry for being a pain.  To illustrate what I mean, here are two screenshots.  This first one is from Kodi 19.3.  It shows the wrong total length for the video of 1:00:29.  The actual pre-cut length is 1:07:58.  So, I don't know where it gets 1:00:29 from.  The projected end time of the video is incorrect, as it's based on the incorrect length of 1:00:29.

https://u.cubeupload.com/chrishch/Kodi20...084443.png

This second one is from SPMC 16.7-04.  I think SPMC was rebranded as Kodi from version 17, so this is the only one I can install on my Nvidia Shield. without any issues.  It shows the proper total length of 37 minutes 42 seconds, and it gives me the correct projected end time of 9:15 AM, which is 8:43 AM subtract 5 minutes 32 seconds, and add 37 minutes 42 seconds.

https://u.cubeupload.com/chrishch/SPMC20...084344.png

I just don't understand why the current version of Kodi is not showing me the correct information with the exact same video file. Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wrong time is reported when video is played0