Solved Renaming TV Series
Wink 
Hey Guys,

I'm still learning how to use Kodi but love everything about it and the endless possibilities it offers. Using a XBox One, Kodi 19.3 Matrix.

I finally figured out successfully add my movies to my library by using the every single movie in its own folder method LABELED CORRECTLY which is extremely important I found out lol. I am having trouble with TV series however, im not sure if its my labeling or the scraper i am using causing the issues. TV Series is my source folder, then.......American Gods (2017).....Season 1.......then the episodes are labeled in this folder.......American Gods (2017) S01E01? Is this correct? Is there a space between S01 and E01? Would Season 2 be......American Gods (2018) S02E01 or keep the original debut year of 2017? Or is it the scaper for TV Episodes that is pre-installed on Kodi? Also I can't launch YouTube from Kodi, its not a huge problem but its be nice to have fixed.

I wish there was solid YouTube Tutorials but unfortunately its only filled with this and that build b.s.

Thanks For The Help.....I appreciate You.
Hey,
I would assume there are already a looot of similar threads out there. Especially some posts/answers from Kraken with his experience and the best setups.

And at the end some of these best practices can be found within the wiki like: https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/Movies
https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/TV_shows

Last but not least there are some tools that are quite useful when it comes to (re)naming, like tiny media manager or even filebot, which is exactly doing what you are looking for: rename movies/shows in the correct syntax :-)

HTH
Eusi
I believe that a correct example would be...

American Gods
>Season 1
>>American.Gods.S01E01

> indicates a sub foler/file
Sorry, could not edit above post...

I believe that a correct example would be, and the way I have my share organized...

[nas/drive share name]
Movies
Music
Music Video
TV
>American Gods
>>Season 1
>>>American.Gods.S01E01
(2021-12-29, 02:53)GCtwoTHREE Wrote: Would Season 2 be......American Gods (2018) S02E01
Nope. Keep the original release date, same as the tv show folder name.
In fact, The tv show is found by the TV Show folder name, so you need to ensure that is correct. Once that is found, a list of episodes is downloaded and matched to your file names. The only thing Kodi looks for in the episode file name is S02E01. Everything else is ignored.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks for the replies and help guys.....Awesome.....The Wiki help pages is actually what I have been using to learn more about Kodi and the steps to follow but for some reason the TV episodes were still giving me a problem.....I'm interested in these apps you mentioned......Have you used them and which one would you recommend? Thx.
@GCtwoTHREE

You haven't actually told us what problem you are having with TV Shows. You just mention you are having problems.

Describe what the problem is and provide a Debug Log which captures you scraping the problem tv shows. It should point out what is going wrong.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I said I'm just having problems? I said I wasn't sure if I was labeling my TV shows correctly.....I checked out the Wiki page and thought I followed it to the t but my shows still were not being scraped.....Thats why I asked the question I did.....The guys who answered before you seemed to understand my question and provided help in the form of answers.
(2021-12-29, 02:53)GCtwoTHREE Wrote: I am having trouble with TV series however, im not sure if its my labeling or the scraper i am using causing the issues
Well it sounds like you are having problems according to your own words. But ok, I obviously misunderstood and sounds like you solved it.
I'll mark the thread solved.
My Signature
Thread marked solved.
My Signature
Yes, I was.....I wasn't understanding the labeling process, even after checking the wiki, but you guys answered what I was wondering.....Im sorry I dont really understand all of the technical jargon but I am trying to learn.....One last question about labeling and scraping my library if you don't mind.....I used Tiny Media Manager and created NFOs.....With the nfo file method.......should I still put my movies/TV shows in separate folders, named correctly with year and put each corresponding nfo file in said its matching folder? Or with nfo's do you not need to create a folder for each movie/show? Thx.
(2022-01-03, 06:17)GCtwoTHREE Wrote: With the nfo file method.......should I still put my movies/TV shows in separate folders, named correctly with year and put each corresponding nfo file in said its matching folder? Or with nfo's do you not need to create a folder for each movie/show?
Yes, you should. In each individual movie folder add the movie file, nfo file and the artwork. TMM would have downloaded artwork also. You can also add Trailers, Subtitles and other Audio Tracks in this folder.

If you don't use the folder for each movie, imagine the mess in your Source folder when you add 50 movies, 50 nfo files, 400+ pieces of artwork. You will then need the long naming format for artwork. Instead of artworktype.jpg all artwork will need to be renamed to MyMovie (year)-artworktype.jpg

TV Shows are always in their own folder. Never mix them.
Whatever TMM has done for you, then it is most likely right, unless you have fiddled with settings without knowing what they do and what they are for.
My Signature
Thx man.....That definitely makes sense.....I didn't mess with settings in TMM but I just grabbed nfo files for each movie then found myself wondering why the Movie Poster was just a cut scene picture for the movie....Now I know the artwork is needed too.....Does each movie folder still need to be named "Movie Title (Year)" if I have nfo files in each folder? Or could I just label each folder "Movie Title" and skip the year because I'm technically not scraping anymore correct?

Each of my TV Shows are in separate folders, I worded that question wrong.....I meant does each episode of a TV show need to have its own folder, from what I gathered from Wiki I got the impression no? So I have "TV Series" as the Source then "TV Show (Year)" Folder, then "Season 1", "Season 2", etc.....and in each season folder just the files "TV Show (Year) S01E03".......or should I have a folder for each episode labeled that?

Thanks For Your Help.....I appreciate You
(2022-01-04, 13:02)GCtwoTHREE Wrote: Does each movie folder still need to be named "Movie Title (Year)" if I have nfo files in each folder? Or could I just label each folder "Movie Title" and skip the year because I'm technically not scraping anymore correct?
If you have nfo files, you can omit the year if you like.

(2022-01-04, 13:02)GCtwoTHREE Wrote: I meant does each episode of a TV show need to have its own folder, from what I gathered from Wiki I got the impression no?
Correct. Episode files don't need their own folder. You can use them if you like, but they are not needed.
Season folders are not needed either, but recommended otherwise it can become messy. Imagine the big bang theory with 270+ episodes in one folder.
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Renaming TV Series0