Quick jump/search in movie library mode?
Hi,

is there any way of quick jumping to, for example, a specific letter while in movie library view? Coming up on 500 movies now and scrolling to the middle is taking quite some time.

I read something somewhere about a feature incorporating a "T9" type quick jump/search with the 0-9 keys. Anything new about that or anything else working in a similar way?

Cheers.
Yep, you can do it.

Map the actions JumpSMS2 (etc) to keymap.xml and away you go. There's also FilterSMS2 (etc) for the filtering side of things, or just highlight the filter edit control (not sure if it's there in library mode - PM3 should have it I think?) and SMS type in to it.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Yep, you can do it.

Map the actions JumpToSMS2 (etc) to keymap.xml and away you go. There's also FilterSMS2 (etc) for the filtering side of things, or just highlight the filter edit control (not sure if it's there in library mode - PM3 should have it I think?) and SMS type in to it.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Can you expand on this comment? What does the SMS2 mean? Is this part of the code base? I'd like to know more about this as well. I've also got a big collection and navigating to the middle of it takes time - even using a wall-type view. I've tried to use the filter option, but it doesn't quite work like expected (using PM3). If I select "M" - instead of going to the first title using the letter "M" it goes to the "M" in 12 Monkeys etc. If I use Search, then I get oodles of actor returns etc, when all I want is the fist title with the letter "M". If I take the time adding more letters to either filter or search, then one may as well just cycle through the view using covers.

One thing I've struggled with using the filter option (apart from the above) is that it stays on once selected. It would be nice to have an option (screen) that only uses the "letters" (as numbers come first they are the first titles displayed). You press a remote button, (controller or context menu selection). A screen pops up with only "letters". You select "M" for example and press go and the titles jump to the first title with the letter "M". All done. No deselecting the radiobutton etc.

I did wonder if this could be done using the smartplaylist editor after our discussions in another thread. Set up a playlist for each letter and map it directly to the button on the newly created "letter" menu. Perhaps there is an easier way?
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
This block in keymap.xml:

<number2>JumpSMS2</number2>
<number3>JumpSMS3</number3>
<number4>JumpSMS4</number4>
<number5>JumpSMS5</number5>
<number6>JumpSMS6</number6>
<number7>JumpSMS7</number7>
<number8>JumpSMS8</number8>
<number9>JumpSMS9</number9>

does the jumping. Press "2" once and it'll jump the first movie starting with "A", press it again, and it'll jump to "B" etc.

Also: Note that only the music search and filter is anywhere near "final". The video one I hope to work like the music one in the end. I can't recall offhand if I made the filter button an edit control in music or not - if not, just change it to an edit control in the skin.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Thx JM for the help. I'll check this out. As always, you've shown me things to investigate. Knowing where to look is more than half the battle. Always so much to know, learn and tweak Big Grin
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
That is pure excellence. Thanks a lot.
Finally got the chance to play with this having setup a xbox version that is modern enough to do it.

Didn't have the success I was looking for. This portion originally got me excited "Press "2" once and it'll jump the first movie starting with "A", press it again, and it'll jump to "B" etc."

I thought one button would do this through the entire alphabet. It doesn't. "JumpSMS2" only cycles A,B,C. It would appear you require the other buttons to get the other letters.

I don't fully understand the SMS stuff (googled it but never really explained how to use it - and no...I've never sent a text message, so don't know how it works on a mobile phone).

On my remote I have the number buttons globally mapped to other aspects of xbmc, so I can't use all the number keys in this SMS manner.

A long shot - is it possible to have only one button cycle through all the letters?

Sorry I'm so ignorant about such things.
Not currently, no, but to be honest, the number of clicks required would be a little too much.

And no need to be sorry for ignorance about mobile phones - I don't own one either (and nor do I want to!) Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan

Quote:Not currently, no
Okay, not to worry. There are more important things to suss out.

It occurred to me after I posted the SMS letters are on the front of a mobile phone - checked out the wife's phone and sure enough. Made sense then. I really need a remote with more buttons Nod

Quote:but to be honest, the number of clicks required would be a little too much.
Well for me, not really. It's only the middle titles that are slow to get to and it's almost as many clicks on the scrollbar (if you're not holding it down). If I want end letters, I navigate from "z" backwards.

A single smart button made be nice - perhaps one that knew which end of the alphabet you're navigating from so it knows to move either forward or backwards. I'd use it Laugh

On another note, you mentioned in another thread about fast scrolling. Has the scrolling speed been elevated? The DVD icons view (wall view which I use) on the xbox isn't particularly fast. Can this be speeded up with an xml tweak? Or...are the hardware limitations of the xbox to blame? (I guess it takes some grunt to render and list a lot of items).
By far the fastest method of scrolling is with the controller. This is because you get analog control, so when holding the thing down we can push it as fast as we like (give or take).

All views should scroll at pretty much the same speed, and it's not really skinnable in that regard.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Thx.
I've tried to create an onscreen button that uses the JumpSMS? action to navigate through the titles. I haven't had a of of success. First, I created a button that pops up with a remote button press, but that steals focus, so I used the setfocus option (56)ID. That seemed to keep the focus on the video covers. However, nothing happened with the onclick action. I tried the same with a button directly in the myvidoenav.xml window. Still nothing.

Guess I need to ask if this is possible first.

I wonder if I've got the focus setup properly. And, I'm not sure of the action code. I've tried lots - (#=number) JumpSMS#, action.JumpSMS#, xbmc.JumpSMS#, activate.JumpSMS# + others. It's probably the fact I don't have something focused properly. More than likely, it doesn't work! Any suggestions? Thx.
So you want a button list that pops up when you press a button on the remote?

You could perhaps try the following:

1. Create a new dialog window.
2. Add a bunch of buttons, or a list with some static items in it.
3. The actions for each item should be something like this:

<onclick>Close</onclick>
<onclick>JumpSMS2</onclick>

Cheers,
Jonathan

jmarshall Wrote:1. Create a new dialog window.
2. Add a bunch of buttons, or a list with some static items in it.
3. The actions for each item should be something like this:

<onclick>Close</onclick>
<onclick>JumpSMS2</onclick>

Yep...that's (almost) exactly what I tried, Created a custom dialog. Popped it up using a remote button. Added one button to it for testing. (This seemed the easy part). From here I had problems. (using win32 for skin testing - a keybd key mapped to SMS7 to make sure the function was working. It was).

I do wonder if the problem is the focus. When the SMS dialog isn't present, the keydb SMS button works as it should. But when I pop up the dialog the focus seems to shift to it (now the keybd button doesn't work). I added a setfocus(56) to the button and the video cover stayed highlighted (Actually flashed to show it had focus). Still never worked.

I'll persevere. Guarantee it's user error once more Smile

Why two "onclick" functions? (Double button action?)
Will the button keep cycling the SMS2 call each time it's clicked?

Hope I can get this working as it'll mean I can activate it with one button and use the cursor for navigating it. Cool.
As you've found, the action will only work if the window has focus. Thus the Close call in the first onclick. You might try a <onclick>Close(true)</onclick> to ensure it shuts immediately.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Quick jump/search in movie library mode?0