Win True Portable Mode
All:

Here is my situation:  I have an external portable USB hard drive that contains my Kodi install and collections.   I have setup kodi following the instructions for a portable installation but when I go to a second machine - ensure that the drive letter is the same  & then fire up Kodi using the -p switch, kodi says that it cannot play files and I have to go about setting up the collection again.   Is there a way to make Kodi truly portable so that I dont have to do this each time?   (before anyone asks, I setup kodi using the instructions and have ensured that the external drive letter is the same on both machines.   i also have ensured that both machines have all of the VC++ runtimes needed and am not using any other addons but what comes with the Kodi install.)

anyone know if I can get it so that it doesnt store data in the current user's %appdata%\Roaming\Kodi folder?

Thanks in advance.

Dist
(2022-05-27, 20:18)Distalnak Wrote: Is there a way to make Kodi truly portable so that I dont have to do this each time?

For Windows there are tools to 'fixate' drive letters to external devices such as USB drives. Ever tried them?
(2022-05-27, 20:18)Distalnak Wrote: anyone know if I can get it so that it doesnt store data in the current user's %appdata%\Roaming\Kodi folder?
The -p switch keeps everything within the designated installation path, nothing in the roaming folder. Considering you've took pains to ensure drive letters are the same, did you also ensure the full path is the same? I have multiple portable installations on external devices without issue, but some external drives have peculiar handling with static paths.

ensure properties in the shortcut launch icon. (Y:\ is my start drive; change to your drive letter)

Target Y:\Kodi\Kodi-Leia\Kodi\kodi.exe -p 
Strat In Y:\Kodi\Kodi-Leia\Kodi
Thanks, but I already did that..

Shortcut properties shows P:\Kodi\Kodi.exe -p      Start in is set to P:\Kodi   - same thing... Kodi still wants to write to the %appdata% folder of the current user to store data on the library 

another thing that i am trying is to have two separate portable drives with Kodi on it...  one for TV shows, another for Movies..

so, here is the process... 
1:  I  formatted the first drive and set the drive letter to P:
2:  I created P:\Movies folder.   I copied some movies to the folder.
3:  I run the kodi setup, specify that the install folder is p:\kodi.    setup completes and I exit the setup without running kodi.
4:  I create a shortcut to Kodi in the root of p: drive.     Target:  P:\kodi\kodi.exe -p     Start In folder = P:\Kodi
5:  I  launch Kodi from that shortcut and configure Kodi's Movie library to point to p:\Movies  & then tell Kodi to scan for updated library.  
6:  When that is completed, I verify that I can launch one of the movies from the movie library.  
7:  I exit Kodi
8:  I use the system tray icon to eject the USB drive (P: drive)
9: I remove the drive  & connect up the second drive.
10:  I formatted the second drive and again used the drive letter P: for it.
11:  I created the "p:\TV Series" folder and then copy a few TV series to the folder.
12:  i then rerun the Kodi setup/install following the same process as last time.
13:   I launch Kodi and it shows the icons for the 'Movies' from the other drive and a message that it couldnt play files...

Now, when I go into my %appdata%\Roaming folder, I see a Kodi folder there with some stuff in it.   If I exit Kodi and then delete that folde & then restart kodi from the shortcut, it acts as if Kodi is a new install...  i can setup Kodi to use the TV folder on P and it will scan and create the icons and such, but again, if I close out, eject he drive and put the movie drive back in, ensuring that its using the P drive letter,  & then launch kodi from the same shorcut as last time, it shows the TV series info instead of the move info...   which tells me that the -p switch is not working right.. and even though it creates the portable_data folder on the P: drive, it's still not trying to actually use it...

Anyone have any suggestions of what to check for or what logs to look at to help track this down?

Thanks in advance.
ok... on taking a closer look at it, i found the issue... PBKAC problem...    ie - I put /p instead of -p

now, one other question :   I haven run across this yet, but if I am going from a 64bit install to a 32bit machine, is there anything special that I need to do besides installing the 32bit Kodi into a separate folder? 
Can I copy the portable_data folder over from the 64bit install to the 32bit install folder and it work?
(2022-05-28, 04:16)Distalnak Wrote: I formatted the second drive and again used the drive letter P: for it.
Convoluted... do not name 2 different disks sources the same, you're asking for pathing issues.
(2022-05-28, 04:45)Distalnak Wrote: I put /p instead of -p
Yup.. I've run into capital '-P' instead of -p and stymied for a while, no issues.

1) going from a 64bit install to a 32bit machine,
(needs a separate 32 bit installation)

2) Can I copy the portable_data folder over from the 64bit install to the 32bit install folder and it work?
(nope, the 32 bit version is compiled for the soon to be depreciated 32bit o/s. )

Can I close this thread as solved?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
True Portable Mode0