Kodi v19 /20 crash when switching resolutions
Hi guys, id noticed that when launching games ie with addon rcb collection. The addon will launch a game and wait for you to close it, then takes you back to kodi ui.

Thats normal behavior. But noticed that when a game use another resolution than Windows 11 desktop resolution, when you close the game, kodi is hang or freezed. 

Do you have any ideas how can avoid that? Not sure if its a bug, kodi limitation, windows, etc

Desktop is at 1920x1080 and the games causing this are 1024x768

Tried to change scaling option from nvidia gpu, but doesnt help.

Thanks.
(2022-06-07, 03:10)trihy Wrote: Not sure if its a bug, kodi limitation, windows, etc
Likely the Game doesn't have the smart code to bring back the resolution (games don't hold that kind of stuff, multi-tasking with a game is not something devs consider) that it was initiated from. The work-round would be launching via batch file, and re-launch Kodi after with selected resolution, but that would be equivalent to handling everything manually as you do now. I do note that some programs launched from Kodi will return to Kodi from a resolution change in proper format, pointing out that this feature is likely on the 3rd party code and how the gfx engine driver is handled and not something our developers will entertain as a priority.
Hi. Thanks for your answer.

Most games that have this problem are arcade games like ringedge based or similar platforms, where you cant change resolution on most games. Also can reproduce the problem launching other emulators like dolphin, with different resolution than the desktop one.

I think it happens launching native x64 or x86 games too, with different resolutions. 

I though some video mode could avoid this. Like running kodi on borderless fullscreen or something like that. But I guess there is no other way than relaunching kodi atm.
(2022-06-07, 19:54)trihy Wrote: there is no other way than relaunching kodi atm.
Yup, as an old game developer who coded direct hardware, there was no consideration at game end to take you back to an o/s, just the relaunch the same 'play-again'?
Retry? Is a good one too Big Grin

I was thinking about killing kodi before launching the game and execute another command to relaunch when the game close. But, there is any kodi argument to launch just where it was killed?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi v19 /20 crash when switching resolutions0