Going from Ubuntu 16.04 and Kodi 17.6 to Ubuntu 22.04 and Kodi 19.4
Hi all

I've kinda left my media center (Intel NUC) sitting around and now I find myself with a quite old Ubuntu LTS 16.04 / Kodi 17.6 and I'm looking for an upgrade path. It's been ages since I installed this system, so I have no idea what steps I took to set it up.

Some things I remember:
  • Some trouble with bitstreaming from Ubuntu to the Denon AVR
  • Aeon Flux skin with some modifications to menus etc.
  • Couple of SMB shares to my NAS
  • Couple of plug-ins, but I don't think I'm really using any of those anymore
  • And I guess just the whole media library, but that seems to be automatically managed
I don't think dist-upgrading makes any sense when going from LTS 16.04 to 22.04, so I'll go with a completely fresh install. Can I just copy the whole Kodi folder? Or will I have to sift through configurations?

Thanks in advance!
The basics of Kodi do not differ very much when going from 16.04 to 22.04. The biggest hurdle might be the Aeon Flux skin. I would disable it and have the default skin (Confluence) ready to be replaced with the current Estuary. If you still use the same monitor/TV, then the guisettings.xml file won't need much adjusting. The AVR workings are not really my department.

Copying the whole Kodi profile folder is a good idea alone for backup purposes already.
Dist-upgraded ubuntu 14.04 on my Chromebox the other day. MrChromebox’ script needs at least 18.04 to run. I upgraded first to 16.04, then to 18.04. I did anticipate at least some haywire, espescially with SystemD replacing Upstart. But it fokn worked like magic. So you could try this unless your ocd requires a fresh install.
Please be aware, that *buntu 22.04 seems to ship python 3.10 which could cause problems. https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/21544

Ubuntu 20.04 still has support until 2025. I would recommend to use that instead.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Going from Ubuntu 16.04 and Kodi 17.6 to Ubuntu 22.04 and Kodi 19.40