• 6(current)
Movies beginning with "The"
I think we need a bit of perspective here.

If you check this thread there are about 10 of us who prefer the file view to library view (myself included) who feel strongly enough to post here. We are hardly the strong majority - more like an insignificant minority.

Apparently there are changes planned to the whole library/files view area of XBMC. We are currently in a feature freeze - which has to happen every now and then. Need to stop developing new stuff and get rid of all the bugs with the current stuff. Adding new features all the time just introduces new bugs quicker than the exisiting ones can be fixed.

While we are waiting for the revamped version, it is really easy to sort this particular problem out yourselves - I did, I went from knowing nothing to fixing this problem in a couple of hours. The fix is now there, anyone can do it themselves.

We're not alowed to link to compiled code here - but if anyone needs some help they can PM me, I'll give an email addy and maybe we could sort something out. I hope that doesnt infringe any of the forum rules - I'm sure someone will put me right if it does.
jmarshall Wrote:In the meantime, it's opensource, so feel free to build it yourself (trivial and doesn't cost you anything other than time) and change it to suit your whims.

If we wouldn't appreciate all the work of developers of open source software, we wouldn't post at all at this forum.

But "only being a user", I think you w(sh)ould disagree with me.
juanpa74 Wrote:Why are developers so rude with users?
Just have to look at this thread..
I have been using xbmc and reading the forums for quite a long time.We are entitled to an opinion even if we hadn't post 1000 times!
I won't shut the fuck off. I made a simple question and got a rude answer.
I guess being a developer doesn't mean having manners.

So you can disagree but we can't? I guess some people don't deserve feedback. Others like johnsto (developer of the BBCiplayer plugin) are open to listen for suggestions from the users.
So how can you find an idea useless when lots of people are telling you that they ACTUALLY USE that? How is that useful option useless?

It is annoying how some developers when someone comes up with a good idea and ask if it can be done...Their automatic answer is: Do it yourself!
They seem not to be smart enough to know that if we knew howto do it we would do it.

And I am not whining. I am just telling like it is about the stupid and childish attitude of some people here.

The developers aren't being rude to you, you are being rude and obnoxious to them. They told you at least 4 times the reason for the change, and that it wouldn't be changed back. For most people their reason makes perfect sense. A File View is a view of your files as they are named, it shouldn't be changing the naming of them. If you want them displayed differently then rename them or use a library view. When they give you an answer (that makes perfect sense to 99% of the community) stop harassing them and wasting their time, they already donate a lot of their time developing the product they don't need to waste time with people whining at them.
XBMC is a spectacular project and I use it on three XBoxes here. I have to say "me too" on this one -- I've gotten used to using file mode instead of library mode (because changes I make to the folders take effect on all three XBoxes immediately, because I can easily group things into folders myself, and because I like to separate the kid movies).

The new behavior of not ignoring "The" in file view has caused my very demanding customers here at the house to become cranky. I can't easily compile for the Xbox, so it sounds like I'll just have to go back to a prior build that has the "broken" behavior I like and wait for the new file listing to see if I like it.

Thanks to the whole XBMC team for a wonderful product!
This has been fixed/changed in SVN after all. The next binary release should ignore tokens again in filemode (when enabled).
-= Team Kodi developer fueled by heavy metal =-
Arnova, its only in the linuxport branch at the moment.

http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/16179

Don't suppose theres any chance of you merging into it into the main trunk is there?

Thanks in advance
Well, actually it has already been merged to Xbox but it hasn't been committed to SVN yet. Will probably do this somewhere this week...
midgetspy Wrote:It seems to me that because the file view has so many additional features, people use it as it was never intended. It is supposed to be a way to view your files, like Windows Explorer. The fact that it displays fanart and all that fancy stuff is a bonus, but it's still meant to be a file view... if you want to view your media in some kind of media view it's expected that you'd use library view.

So IMO this should be explored: what is file mode doing that library mode isn't? Why do people use file mode for what library mode should be used for?

jmarshall Wrote:mcowher: You are entitled to your opinion, and so are we. We've explained why it was taken out, and we've also indicated that there's not much point changing it as we're planning to rewrite how the library/file mode interaction works (i.e. merge them in to one), thus making it a moot issue.

I must comment on this issue. There are a lot of opinions about this, and it seems like "the user base" is against removing this behaviour.

I as a user can see why the developers have taken this option out. And I want to take this even further. I see no use for a file view in any way, but the mediacenter software SHOULD take care of categorizing and scraping in a decent way. I think XBMC -at this point- is capable of doing this, as long as people name files according to standards that XBMC is comfortable with.

I have always found the "files view/library view" option strange. I think a user should set up directories that should be added to the libraries (no mather if this is music, movies, TV series) through the settings screen and that all other screens should display "library style".

It also took me some time to get comforable with the library view, but when you're used to it and follow "best practices" in naming files, XBMC will scan your content 100% and you get a far greater experience. XBMC media companion can eventually be used to scrape to .nfo files, so a rescan of the library doesn't take to much time.
Mart! Wrote:I see no use for a file view in any way, but the mediacenter software SHOULD take care of categorizing and scraping in a decent way. I think XBMC -at this point- is capable of doing this, as long as people name files according to standards that XBMC is comfortable with.
First I am not complaining about the change it doesn't bother me either way, but I have to use the file view, because of the way I have my files categorized. My wife is not a native English speaker and I am. She needs subtitles to keep up with most English movies or shows, but there are shows and movies that she has no interest in and I do. I may be stupid, but I have found no way to effectively separate the subtitled movies/shows from the non subtitled in library view, thus leaving me with file view.

Again, I am neither for or against the debate here, just thought I would let you know there are some instances where file view is the more practical option.
Asus Essentio CS5110, Intel E8300, 2 GB Ram, 8600M GT
Mart! Wrote:I see no use for a file view in any way

Well many of us DO like and prefer File View. File View works "out of the box" with the folder structure we set up for our media, and allows us to manage that folder structure and organization outside of XBMC.

arnova Wrote:Well, actually it has already been merged to Xbox but it hasn't been committed to SVN yet. Will probably do this somewhere this week...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Many of us users will be very happy that this is being added back in to the official builds.
mcowher Wrote:Well many of us DO like and prefer File View. File View works "out of the box" with the folder structure we set up for our media, and allows us to manage that folder structure and organization outside of XBMC.

Well, I'm not here to start a fight Laugh All I wanted to point out is that I don't mind it being erased, since the only sound here is of people who want it back. I agree with you that some sort of custom categorization would be nice to have and this is not yet possible with the current library. This would be a nice feature and would make the filemode less needed Cool

I think you might say that the reason for using file mode is the fact that the library mode lacks functionality (as was said earlier by midgetspy). If this is taken care of, we might not need file view anymore.
arnova Wrote:Well, actually it has already been merged to Xbox but it hasn't been committed to SVN yet. Will probably do this somewhere this week...

Please post back here when it is committed so I can get my functionality back.

I understand that the developers are doing their best and have to make decisions when coding. However, removing functionality is almost NEVER a good choice. The option was there; it worked and didn't interfere with anything else. As pointed out earlier, the combination of this option with a "Sort by" choice of files would make the file view sort by the file name. Sorting by "name" would quickly re-enable the option. This wasn't some backend change that people wouldn't notice. It is a very useful, and used, feature that, apparently, a lot of us want back.

Thanks to Arnova for reinstating it.
I merged (and committed) this yesterday to Xbox. Note that I also created an additonal trac report with a (IMHO) proper solution to this problem which should satisfy everyone: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5366
Enorm bedankt!!! (Thank you very much!!!)
Quote:Thanks to Arnova for reinstating it

Credit due where credt is due, and I'm sure that Arnova wont mind, but it was spiff_ who did the change - http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/16179

But thanks to Arnova for committing the changes so we can all get our hands on it easily.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movies beginning with "The"0