• 5(current)
Aeon "Stark" - Working screens
actually iirc XBMC doesn't stand for anything anymore, not officially anyway. And really, it's time to let go, the Xbox has done all it can do and deliberately hobbling skins and other features to support it wont change that.
i have to agree with Freddo .. I'm an old timer .. I even used xbmp before xbmc existed .. but the xbox is reaching its eol .. time to move on .. for not too much you can put together a fairly powerful htpc .. and deliberately limiting skins and such just to make them "100% xbox compatible" is not fair to other users

keeping the program, that is xbmc, compatible and and add-on, like 'Stark', is not the same thing and is not fair to other users of the software
Exactly. Computing started with Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine - but I don't expect that to run Ninja Gaiden II.
Really? Arsesocks - I'll have to take it back to game then.
djh_ Wrote:Exactly. Computing started with Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine - but I don't expect that to run Ninja Gaiden II.

Come on now...comparing the Xbox1 to a hand-cranked difference engine? That's a bit of a far cry, especially when we're just talking about skins here.

You guys make it sound like it's bending over backwards to achieve X1 compatibility. Hell, I tested the "leaked" version of Stark on my box just for craps and smiles, and it seemed to be more responsive than the current version of Aeon.

Regardless...it's your skin, and it'd be asinine for us to tell you what to make it into. I just don't see what the big damned deal is with making it x1 compatible. Tell ya what...just leave the textures unlocked, and we'll do the rest...
Freddo Wrote:actually iirc XBMC doesn't stand for anything anymore, not officially anyway. And really, it's time to let go, the Xbox has done all it can do and deliberately hobbling skins and other features to support it wont change that.

Hobbling? Hardly.. No

I guarantee you the majority of xbmc users are using xbox. I have a linux htpc running xbmc on my HD setup in one end of the house.. However I still like to have my modded xbox running xbmc in another part of the house on my old hdtv for everyone to use. It plays all my movies, music etc just fine. I have all my skins set at 720p and everything is fine. I dont see what the big deal is with you people saying its time to let go.. Why? I like it, it works, its small and compact compared to my htpc, etc etc.. I'm sure I"m not the only one who feels this way.
And how many years should we carry the Xbox 1 compatibility with us? In my opinion the XBMC for the Xbox 1 has enough good skins. Today the Xbox 1 is to weak to handle the HD-age. The hardware is too weak and too loud. I have my Xbox 1 nearly since 6 Years now and even at that time the only reason for the Xbox 1 was the multimedia abilities.

Today a HTPC is in all points the better alternative. It has the power to handle HD-stuff and it's absolutly silent. So why in the world support a weak system (= Xbox 1) which lifecycle will end so or so in some years (months)? Instead of wasting man power in supporting old fashion stuff it is better to use the free time to develope new fantastic stuff like the "Stark"-Skin for HTPCs.
Drizz Wrote:I guarantee you the majority of xbmc users are using xbox.

I agree with you 100%. I have 2 Xbox1's, a 360, and a HTPC. While the 360 can stream video, the types of files it can stream is way to limited, the execution is slow and flawed.

I still use my old xbox's with XBMC just about every day and they work great for almost every thing I play. True it is limited by its power, I couldn't get a few Hd videos to run properly until i down sampled them.

But I'm not going to toss it in the trash just b/c its not the newest toy on the market, and i really hope other people don't abandon it b/c of that.

Don't get me wrong media boxes are great, but you guys are talking like the old xbox's are atari 2600's.

Also
HTPC = $450 - $600 or more Eek
Xbox = $60 at game stop... hmmmm.... Nod
Personally, I don't think that the lifecycle of the Xbox is done and over with. MS themselves said that the only reason they stopped development when they did is because the cost of selling it with the hard drive was too great, and their best money-saver would be to dump it and move onto the 360.

I think that in some way, shape, or form, support for the X1 should be continued until people stop using the xbox. And for me, half the joy of using XBMC is the fact that, yes, I'm doing it on a six-year old piece of hardware.

And, again, HD isn't the end-all choice for every person who has a use for XBMC. 90% of my content is SD, and I'm just happy with that. If I have a slightly trimmed-down skin, I can run it in HD and be totally cool with my setup.

But...we're hijacking this thread. The HTPC vs. XBox debate is something that will go on and on and on. I don't want to draw away from Aeon Stark anymore...
digitalhigh Wrote:But...we're hijacking this thread. The HTPC vs. XBox debate is something that will go on and on and on. I don't want to draw away from Aeon Stark anymore...

True, but i had to say something.

And I forgot to say that Aeon looks fantastic. Xbox or not cant wait to see it in action. Great job on that. Nod
For discussion on the XBox vs HTPC debate: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=37563
neoxalucard Wrote:I agree with you 100%. I have 2 Xbox1's, a 360, and a HTPC. While the 360 can stream video, the types of files it can stream is way to limited, the execution is slow and flawed.

I still use my old xbox's with XBMC just about every day and they work great for almost every thing I play. True it is limited by its power, I couldn't get a few Hd videos to run properly until i down sampled them.

But I'm not going to toss it in the trash just b/c its not the newest toy on the market, and i really hope other people don't abandon it b/c of that.

Don't get me wrong media boxes are great, but you guys are talking like the old xbox's are atari 2600's.

Also
HTPC = $450 - $600 or more Eek
Xbox = $60 at game stop... hmmmm.... Nod
On the price for a HTPC, I picked up a Dell server for 100 pounds, a graphics card from eBay for 16 and an xbox dvd remote + adaptor cable for 10. Yes, you can pick up an xbox for 10 pounds now, but you won't get far with the original hard disk + you need the remote.

But in the end what it comes down to is HD v SD, if you have an SD TV then you are fine with an xbox, people will fix these aeon skins to work with the xbox, it's just not the developers main concern.
It's time to let the old xbox die in peace Wink

I woulden't count on to much support for it in the future. It's true as it is said. You can easy build a cheap htcp box and it's also much more flexible.
the xbox was great. It still is great for sd content but February 17, 2009 is the end for sd as far as
I am concerned. Lets move forward with the rest of the world. Support the xbox1 thats fine I still use mine but lets shift the focus. htpc is the future. I don't think any one will deny that.
ﻪﻥﻋﺸﻷﻜﻈﭚ
I just checked 4 HRHD-movies and they look awesome on my XBOX. I have no clue why all those HRHD's are encoded with H264. These Mpeg-4 movies are only 2 GB and look much, much better than DVD... even DVD9

The XBOX always had better quality than other video equipment (I'm now talking about the DA-conversion). I can understand that HD is a major leap for the people in the US, but in Europe we always had PAL.

1280 x 720 is VERY good quality. The XBOX can do it and I don't have to buy anything. It would be a shame to just cut us off from future development....
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon "Stark" - Working screens3