Some video files fail to initialize WASAPI when played and then break all other sound
Hi all,

When I play certain video files I get no sound, and also when trying to scan forward they start buffering, which never happened to me before.
After I play these certain video files, afterwards even other video files which worked well have no sound either, and when I try to exit Kodi it simply hangs forever.

My setup (in general, if required I'll take a more accurate dump of my hardware):
HTPC connected via HDMI directly (don't ask, my ARC died for some reason a while ago) to my Samsung UE75NU8000 TV, which in turn is connected to my Yamaha V4A receiver via optical cable. 

Here is my debug log .

Note this never happened before, all was working well until the Nexus update. 
This is why I was sure something in Kodi broke in that version, so I installed a separate installation of Matrix, but the issue persists, so that's evidence it's not related.
Maybe something with my hadware broke, I'm not sure. Would appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE:
When disabling "Allow passthrough" it works. Which is unfortunate of course. I still have no clue what is causing this, I guess it points at something with the AV itself?
(2022-12-24, 11:51)Nom1fan Wrote: Here is my debug log .
Not enough info in that log. Need debug mode enabled.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2022-12-24, 12:23)Karellen Wrote:
(2022-12-24, 11:51)Nom1fan Wrote: Here is my debug log .
Not enough info in that log. Need debug mode enabled.
I was sure I did enable debug log when capturing that one, maybe it was on the other Kodi installation, I'll do it again soon. Thanks!
Sorry that it took my a while, been busy:

My new log (looks like debug this time).

So I'm not sure what changed, but everything used to work fine, but now whenever I turn "Allow passthrough" on, I got no sound Sad
(2022-12-24, 11:51)Nom1fan Wrote: disabling "Allow passthrough" it works
Your log is still insufficient and appears to be edited, full logs no snippets please. Note: Turn on AVR & TV prior to launch, if handshaking is lost; default directsound will be the setting, and will be saved as that configuration for next launch. Change your configuration to PC->AVR->TV with wasapi & passthrough, (optical is an old standard, don't use it) and ensure all settings in audio point to the correct driver.
Thanks! I only edited out the logs from other days, took the one of yesterday when I captured the debug log. 
This is the full log

AVR is always on, TV obviously not. Not sure what it means to have it on before launch, do I need to restart Kodi every time I turn off my TV? I must be missing something.

About optical, like I wrote at my original post, I was using HDMI ARC until something happened to the ARC on my TV, it stopped working and that's when I switched to optical, and it worked with "Allow passthrough" on at first so I'm not sure what changed. 

But I'll try you suggestions when I get the chance and report back. Thanks a lot!
(2023-01-01, 09:59)Nom1fan Wrote: Not sure what it means to have it on before launch
It all has to do with HDCP handshaking... and yes the TV needs to be on prior and after to Kodi launch for a proper handsake, failure here will invoke Kodi default. Load up Kodi last and Exit Kodi first.

The TV is acting as a filter and will only handle what the TV specs allow (thats why some encodes don't play), optical will be 2 channel. Switch around to this PC->AVR->TV with HDMI wasapi & passthrough (not sure if your AVR will pass 4K, check the specs), you can still retain ARC for TV broadcasts.

Noting Desktop Resolution: 3840x2160 32Bit at 60Hz Might want to switch down to 1920x1080x60 as a test, Kodi will still output 4K when needed.
(2023-01-01, 19:02)PatK Wrote:
(2023-01-01, 09:59)Nom1fan Wrote: Not sure what it means to have it on before launch
It all has to do with HDCP handshaking... and yes the TV needs to be on prior and after to Kodi launch for a proper handsake, failure here will invoke Kodi default. Load up Kodi last and Exit Kodi first.

Wow! That's news to me, so it means if I want a seamless experience where I turn my TV on and Kodi is there beautifully and ready to go, it's impossible? 
I will gladly add some sort of script or whichever option if possible to re-initiate the handshake to achieve this. I much rather not turn kodi off every time before I turn off my my TV and turn it back on when I want to watch something. 
With all that said it's a bit strange to me since when I was working with ARC (before it dropped dead on my TV's end) I never turned kodi off and on like that and everything worked fine  Huh
Thanks so much for your help!
(2023-01-02, 09:08)Nom1fan Wrote: gladly add some sort of script
You could do that.
(2023-01-02, 09:08)Nom1fan Wrote: working with ARC (before it dropped dead on my TV's end) I never turned kodi off and on
The default satisfies most.
(2023-01-02, 09:08)Nom1fan Wrote: TV on and Kodi is there beautifully and ready to go, it's impossible? 
No, it just means that you have a default Kodi setting.
On my setup (HTPC running Win 8.1) -- AVC  -- TV via HDMI I find it best to wake up computer first, then turn on AVC and TV, finally start Kodi.  That never fails.  Out of order seems like maybe 1 out of 20 I get no sound.  I'm using a mini keyboard wireless for the pc and harmony 670 remote for the others -- I'm not a smart phone control guy.

scott s.
(2023-01-02, 09:08)Nom1fan Wrote:
(2023-01-01, 19:02)PatK Wrote:
Wow! That's news to me, so it means if I want a seamless experience where I turn my TV on and Kodi is there beautifully and ready to go, it's impossible? 
In these types of cases you should investigate doing an EDID override, it stops the handshaking as the override makes the PC think the connected devices are always on.
See https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=251833 for an example of how to do an EDID overide.
This is the best thing I ever did for my HTPC's .  Solved 100% of the weird HDMI syncing issues, video resolutions and color spaces have never changed on their own since, and audio has never been lost again.

DR. HDMI...

[mod edit] No selling or promoting of services for money Official:Forum rules (wiki) https: google it.

Guaranteed it will solve your issues and be the best $79 you ever spent on your HTPC.

Cheers
TRJB

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Some video files fail to initialize WASAPI when played and then break all other sound0