Boxes Supporting AV1 & VP9 @4K/60 + HD Audio + GigE LAN?
Believe a few S905X4 boxes (allowing CoreELEC install) fall in this category, but are there others that support h/w decoding of AV1 & VP9 @4K/60, support full HD Audio passthru, and have GigE LAN? Interested in all local network playback only.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
I have a Vontar X4 4GB/32GB S905X4 box that has Gigabit Ethernet and is working with CoreElec 'ne' builds that have just started being publicly posted.  (I had patchy network support with 'ng' builds - but 'ne' so far - less than a day - has been OK). Currently booting from uSD card - haven't tried installing to internal eMMC.  All my media is either stored locally on unRAID (a mix of MPEG2 DVD, h264 Blu-ray and h265 UHD Blu-ray stuff I own and ripped, off-air h264 DVB-T/T2/S/S2 recordings, and some h264 and h265 encodes I've made myself)

I haven't tested AV1 and VP9 4K/60 stuff on it yet - but other S905X4 boxes I've had (with 100Mbs Ethernet) have played UHD AV1 stuff OK (can't speak about 50/60fps stuff)

If you can point me to AV1 and VP9 test clips - I'll give them a go.
Thanks @noggin. Over at CE forum, @clarkss12 suggested it as well. I may order one, but considering FTV Cube 3 as well now that it supports HD audio passthru (except DTS-MA is broken).

Actually, he suggested the HK1 Rbox X4 box, which looks similar.
The HK1 X4 and Vontar X4 can be flashed with the same Android image (and user Android build images too) the only thing changed for CE is the splash.  The are all ah21* devices I have a couple of others and they same interchangeable.  One of my devices didn't have firmware for download, but I replaced it with CE booting from emmc anyway so it became a Vontar.

Martin
Great, thanks. Will pick one of them up.
(2022-12-28, 21:58)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks @noggin. Over at CE forum, @clarkss12 suggested it as well. I may order one, but considering FTV Cube 3 as well now that it supports HD audio passthru (except DTS-MA is broken).

Actually, he suggested the HK1 Rbox X4 box, which looks similar.

AFAIK all HD Audio codecs passthrough supported-AMLogic hardware fine under CoreElec - I don't touch Android on these boxes. There's no point.  There shouldn't be variation between boxes with the same SoC in them in terms of stuff like video codec support and HDMI audio and video output capabilities. (i.e. if CoreElec supports HD Audio and HDR video on one S905X4 box - it should do it on all boxes that can run CoreElec.) It's stuff like integrated Ethernet, WiFi and Bluetooth that is much more variable between boxes (sometimes even those that appear identical externally).  WiFi/Ethernet/Bluetooth DOES require box-by-box support in some cases - as these are vendor choices independent of the SoC...

As new SoCs appear it takes a bit of time for some of the stuff to be worked through - so things like the A311D2 in the Khadas Vim 4 etc. may not have full support for HD Audio in CoreElec yet - but AIUI the S905X4 is further along.

I think the S905X4 has DD/DD+/DTS/Dolby True HD (inc Atmos)/DTS HD MA/HRD and DTS:x - though I haven't checked all codecs yet myself.  I have got the IR receiver working with my own choice of remote (quite easy to do) - though I haven't looked at the IR power on and off function or flashing CoreElec to internal eMMC.  I haven't got the VFD add-on to work either - but I haven't looked hard at that either (to be honest a 4 character 7-segment display isn't that much use to me).
So it's better to go with s905x4 or amlogic ?

Which boxes do you suggest ? Which boxes permit dual os (Android and coreelec)

And last question on coreelec I can get widewine l1 ?
Just to clarify, S905x4 is Amlogic SoC.
No Widevine L1 on Coreelec; in fact on boxes that are L1 certified it's not possible to install Coreelec since they have locked bootloader. Although, there is mention of one box with L1 on Coreelec forum on which someone succeeded to install CE, but don't remember the make/model of that box, and if L1 was then available.
The Amlogic S905X4 is powerful enough for CoreELEC to play most, if not all "protected" streams in 1080p with correct frame rate and resolution.  SlyGuy's repository contains many, many different streaming apps.  To use the "protected" streaming apps, you DO have  to have a subscription, nothing pirated. I, myself, use HBOmax, Paramount+, Disney+, Netflix, and several of the "free" apps like Pluto (I did donate to SlyGuy).

I have multiple Android boxes and most of the Google Certified boxes, but I have been primarily using my HK1 Rbox X4 running CoreELEC internally on the eMMC.  It plays everything that I watch, and perfectly.

I use Tvheadend client for my live and recorded OTA TV, with 14 days of guide data, on this device.

As others have mentioned, beware that you never know what components the manufacture will install in the box.  Fortunately, the gurus at CoreELEC  always seem to get those inexpensive boxes to work.
I guess I should clarify the last post.  I included Netflix in the same sentence about SlyGuy's repository, it should have been in a different sentence and acknowledge that Netflix app is installed from the "repository.castagnait-2.0.0".

I am unable to edit the previous post. 
Also, IF I use any of those apps for a length of time, I am more that happy to donate.  I appreciate all of the work those guys put into their work.
(2022-12-29, 13:54)Roby77 Wrote: So it's better to go with s905x4 or amlogic ?
S905X4 is an AMLogic SoC - so S905X4 is one of the many varied AMLogic chips that you can get boxes with. The S905X4 is the most recent SoC with decent support - and has AV1 decoding.

Quote:Which boxes do you suggest ? Which boxes permit dual os (Android and coreelec)

I don't dual boot into Android as I have no wish to use Android DRM apps (the experience is usually dismal in terms of frame rate switching compared with my Apple TV 4K - which is my main DRM viewing solution)

Most boxes that run CoreElec won't be Netflix approved in Android do you're stuck with 1080p SDR max anyway.
Thank all (as always) for the suggestions

Really appreciate it
(2022-12-29, 00:21)hdmkv Wrote: Great, thanks. Will pick one of them up.

Beware the ever-changing Ethernet and WiFi situation with these boxes though.  My Vontar X4 is working OK with GigE at the moment with a CoreElec 'ne' image - others with cosmetically similar boxes have differing results.
Apparently the Ugoos X4Q S905x4 is Widevine L1 and Google Certified but there haven't been reports that it runs CE like their original X4.  Fingers crossed. The Ugoos boxes are also DDR4 unlike the other generic X4 S905x4 DDR3 so "maybe" they are not build using used emmc and RAM.

Some Mecool L1 boxes do run CE but again nothing with AV1 is reported.

I also have the Beelink GT King II with the more advanced Amlogic A311D2 (think VIM4 with a crappy L2 Android with very limited software) and for the money it isn't ready and even CE team need more from the vendor and Amlogic to get it working.  Fortunately it is new so we might see them in months and years ahead.  You can get 3 or 4 of the generic boxes for their price so there is your warranty just use a vendor like Amazon in cast you get 100Mb networking.

Martin
(2022-12-30, 23:25)emveepee Wrote: Apparently the Ugoos X4Q S905x4 is Widevine L1 and Google Certified but there haven't been reports that it runs CE like their original X4.  Fingers crossed. The Ugoos boxes are also DDR4 unlike the other generic X4 S905x4 DDR3 so "maybe" they are not build using used emmc and RAM.

Some Mecool L1 boxes do run CE but again nothing with AV1 is reported.

I also have the Beelink GT King II with the more advanced Amlogic A311D2 (think VIM4 with a crappy L2 Android with very limited software) and for the money it isn't ready and even CE team need more from the vendor and Amlogic to get it working.  Fortunately it is new so we might see them in months and years ahead.  You can get 3 or 4 of the generic boxes for their price so there is your warranty just use a vendor like Amazon in cast you get 100Mb networking.

Martin
I almost pulled the trigger on the Ugoos X4Q S905x4 this morning, because of the Aliexpress email that I received.  The Widevine L1 really got my attention, but the more I thought about it, I could not figure out to implement it.  In other words, will it play a lot of the streamers in 4k or even 1080p (not including Netflix), like Vudu, HBOMax, etc.  

Also, will the boot loader, as you suggested, be locked, so no dual booting?  As I recall some of the earlier Mecool boxes (perhaps an other brand), before they were google certified, had Widevine level 1.  Been a long time, and I have literally purchased dozens of these boxes/sticks in the last 10 years.  These devices have come a very long way, originally they were "good" if they ran an hour without crashing.  Also, Dolby Digital was only a dream.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Boxes Supporting AV1 & VP9 @4K/60 + HD Audio + GigE LAN?0