Why not a portrait skin for smartphone?
Hi everyone
I was reading a lot about portrait skin and so far almost everyone say no!!. Well first I think that what need is a portrait GUI for smartphone, when playing videos of course must be landscape. In smartphone is difficult see the kodi interface and interact with it. So why not to get a portrait GUI like emby app for android do?. It'll be a great, at least I think so.
So I was trying to change the addon.xml but nothing happen...
Code:
<res width="1080" height="1920" aspect="9:16" default="true" folder="xml" />
Any suggestion, or explain the way kodi work for make it portrait. Thanks
Kodi skins are not easily changed on-the-fly into a different orientation. You will need to have/create a separate skin for specific phone use.

And so far, no one has felt the urge of doing a phone skin.
Ok, so any suggestion to do it please? I can't find docs to clarification about this. I'll like make some test but I can't change to portrait view. Like I said I change some parameters in the add-ons.xml but nothing's happen
@ksc1

make your desired resolution the only resolution in the skin, ive found kodi picks the resolution it wants from the available so if you only give 1 choice you can force it most usually

never done a portrait mode switch though, kodi may just decide to ignore it anyway
I was seeing some parámetros in the app manifest.xml but in android I can't modify this file, base.apk. any idea
that file is generated when kodi is compiled, if you want to change that file you need to compile your own version from source - https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...Android.md
(2023-03-19, 22:01)jepsizofye Wrote: @ksc1

make your desired resolution the only resolution in the skin, ive found kodi picks the resolution it wants from the available so if you only give 1 choice you can force it most usually

never done a portrait mode switch though, kodi may just decide to ignore it anyway

I left only one resolución but stretch the GUI and still remain vertical
I chance this line
<res width="1080" height="1920" aspect="9:16" default="true" folder="xml" />
Is this the right way to do it?
(2023-03-19, 22:45)ksc1 Wrote: I chance this line

As said, a Kodi skin will not rotate automagically. You will need to create your own version of a skin and change the various width and height values that are in the various xml files. Doing a global search on all .xml files of a skin will get you all width and/or height settings. And then there are the skin graphics, which are also made for 16:9 or 21:9 aspect ratio...

You'll need to dive into skinning a lot more than just editing one or two xml files.
Ok that won't be a problem thank for clarification. I will do it.
Thanks again
Start Here - https://kodi.wiki/view/Skinning
Thank u for the support, I had made so far changes to some skin for my taste, now is time by my own.
Well meanwhile I decide to use jellyfin in android client, and made some change to my taste, but may say that it's not even close to what kodi could do.

This is a screenshot of my jellyfin detail section, make it closer to netflix style.
https://ibb.co/zbpchD6
This still. WIP

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why not a portrait skin for smartphone?0