Found another Android Media Player worth a second look.
I think reasonable people seeing streaming movies etc would expect that without a crystal ball. Even using URL's from github have been cautioned. In any case the moderators can remove all my posts from this thread as I simply wanted to move the discussion to Kodi and the hardware.
(2023-04-02, 18:53)emveepee Wrote: I think reasonable people seeing streaming movies etc would expect that without a crystal ball. Even using URL's from github have been cautioned. In any case the moderators can remove all my posts from this thread as I simply wanted to move the discussion to Kodi and the hardware.

I just cannot understand your objections, since you did not see any pirated software, and now you object to imaginary "streaming movies" again without any proof !!!
Since I stream all kind of movies completely legally on my official Kodi installation with official Kodi addons, I presume that you'll report me to some higher authority for braking Forum Rules, or whatnot... Huh
how did it do with VC1 playback?

VC1 and DolbyVision are the only things i currently cant get universally, curious to find out which boxes do them

did you try AV1 by chance?
(2023-04-02, 21:23)jepsizofye Wrote:
(2023-04-01, 17:35)clarkss12 Wrote: Post deleted.

seriously? youre going to let a bully decide what you can post?

-----

how did it do with VC1 playback?

VC1 and DolbyVision are the only things i currently cant get universally, curious to find out which boxes do them

did you try AV1 by chance?

VC-1 did NOT play under Android, but that was expected. Using Aida64, all of these Amlogic device show that codec listed, but I have never found an Amlogic SoC that will play that codec natively.   Strange, but the TOX3 (Amlogic S905X4) running under CoreELEC will not play that codec.  All of my other boxes running CoreELEC play that VC-1 perfectly, so it has to be something with this box.

The AV1 video plays using Android YouTube, but never tried with Kodi or CoreELEC.
@emveepee We do not have a 'privacy policy', we do have a piracy policy on this forum. And from what I can see in the original opening post (yes, moderators can see that), I think you jumped the gun a bit in thinking there were piracy-related links involved. I haven't seen any in the text or in the YT link.

@clarkss12 Please do not vandalize your opening post by deleting it and making this forum thread and its replies absolutely useless. If lots of people start doing this, then we might as well stop this whole support forum.
(2023-04-02, 21:43)Klojum Wrote: @emveepee We do not have a 'privacy policy', we do have a piracy policy on this forum. And from what I can see in the original opening post (yes, moderators can see that), I think you jumped the gun a bit in thinking there were piracy-related links involved. I haven't seen any in the text or in the YT link.

@clarkss12 Please do not vandalize your opening post by deleting it and making this forum thread and its replies absolutely useless. If lots of people start doing this, then we might as well stop this whole support forum.
If there was any hint of piracy in my post, I thought it best to remove it........  Sorry.
just add it to the list of boxes that dont do VC1 then, pretty sure its not really required for a future-forward device since its not even really used any longer

i think that the pertinent ones would be AV1/VP9/HEVC if we're talking about "current" 4k formats, other than youtube i havent seen AV1/VP9 in the wild though

(i think AV1 will be 8K and that's going to be interesting in the near future)
(2023-04-02, 21:47)clarkss12 Wrote: If there was any hint of piracy in my post, I thought it best to remove it........  Sorry.

I've reverted your post for now. If I overlooked something myself (it's a Sunday night..), another moderator can act upon that.
(2023-04-02, 21:59)jepsizofye Wrote: just add it to the list of boxes that dont do VC1 then, pretty sure its not really required for a future-forward device since its not even really used any longer

i think that the pertinent ones would be AV1/VP9/HEVC if we're talking about "current" 4k formats, other than youtube i havent seen AV1/VP9 in the wild though

(i think AV1 will be 8K and that's going to be interesting in the near future)

These "cheap" boxes have come a long way in the last 10 years that I have been purchasing them.  There was NO Dolby Digital at all, and rare if you could go an hour or two without crashing.  

Today, even the cheapest ones, can play most if not all of the newer video codecs, especially the HEVC video codec.  I have given up expectations on devices that can play the VC-1 codec natively (The shield and Zidoo boxes are the exception).  I even tried the newest Allwinner SoC box, but it could not play that pesky codec, either.  It did play other codecs without issue under Kodi, BUTT, it did NOT support any forms of Dolby Digital..
the specs on the S928X look promising, i would be interested in testing one when available

https://www.cnx-software.com/2023/02/28/...2-tops-npu
(2023-04-02, 22:40)jepsizofye Wrote: the specs on the S928X look promising, i would be interested in testing one when available

https://www.cnx-software.com/2023/02/28/...2-tops-npu

Yes, I am really looking forward to a device utilizing that SoC.
The Nexus Player, (first device to use production Android TV OS), used an Intel atom Z3560 SoC for it's processor. 

I cranked it up, just to **see** if it played the VC-1 video codec natively, but it doesn't.

For those new to the Android TV OS boxes, the Nexus Player was introduced around the end of 2014.  It supported Android 5, and only supported the 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi band, no Ethernet.  It only has 1GB of memory and 8GB of eMMC storage.  (That device sure is Slooooowww)
When I retired it, it was running Android 8.

As I recall, none of the Google Certified devices that use the Amlogic SoC, support the VC-1 video codec.  That includes, the TiVo Stream 4k, Onn, Ematic 4k, Dynalink, etc, all of which run the Amlogic SoC. 

Soooo, since none of those devices support that pesky VC-1 natively, KODI can not play them correctly.  Only way to play them is using Emby or Plex or another transcoding device.
ah i think this is why - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VC-1#Legal_status

Quote:As an SMPTE standard, VC-1 is open to implementation by anyone, although implementers may be required to pay licensing fees to the MPEG LA

i use jellyfin to transcode anyway, the few Blu-Rays i have that are/were VC-1 are being phased out with new copies from out-of-market sources

Example

https://www.blu-ray.com/1408/18903/#Releases

i replaced my German copy with VC-1 with an MPEG2 from Italy

typically the same thing can be applied to other releases, a lot more releases in Germany are AVC vs. other markets, just need to do your research
(2023-04-03, 01:32)jepsizofye Wrote: ah i think this is why - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VC-1#Legal_status

Quote:As an SMPTE standard, VC-1 is open to implementation by anyone, although implementers may be required to pay licensing fees to the MPEG LA

i use jellyfin to transcode anyway, the few Blu-Rays i have that are/were VC-1 are being phased out with new copies from out-of-market sources

Example

https://www.blu-ray.com/1408/18903/#Releases

i replaced my German copy with VC-1 with an MPEG2 from Italy

typically the same thing can be applied to other releases, a lot more releases in Germany are AVC vs. other markets, just need to do your research

I hate to pay for the same BlueRay disk again.  For instance, I have the Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy in BlueRay disks, don't want to purchase the same videos in 4k.  I also purchased them in VUDU, so I have already paid twice for the same videos... Smile

I tried several times to convert those VC-1 videos to different formats, but finally gave up, because I could not get a perfect copy.  I tried several different converters.

But in reality, it don't mean nuthin.  I have several ways to watch those videos, but it is just annoying that I can't get Kodi to play them on the device that I want to play them on.....  I spend more time tinkering than actually watching any videos.  I usually only turn on the TV, two hours before bedtime... Smile
same i spend more time copying, cataloging, organizing, fixing, testing than watching anything

re: back to the future trilogy

i did not want to replace my blu-ray either but im glad i did, they are nice high bitrate dolby vision remasters with atmos audio Smile

mediainfo for the trilogy: https://paste.kodi.tv/esurenanaz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Found another Android Media Player worth a second look.0