Amlogic S928x or Rockchip RK3588 ?
https://en.t-firefly.com/product/industry/rocrk3588pc
https://www.cnx-software.com/2023/02/28/...-tops-npu/

Which one would you choose for Kodi and why?
They both are touting with 8K support, which nobody needs in the upcoming 5-6 years IMO. By then, these boards have become outdated.
Both have AV1 support, which is nice. But not every video provider has AV1 support yet, so that chicken & egg situation is still ongoing.
Both still have 1GB network ports, while 2.5GB and higher getting common on PC boards.
The S928x has a M.2 slot for PCIe3.0 NVMe SSD (not detailed as how it is wired), where the RK3588 has 1x PCIE 2.0 up to 5Gbps (multiplexed with USB 3.0).
Are there any boards that use the s928x yet? I see there are lots of boards that are using the rk3588 or rk3588s. I think the orange pi is the cheapest atm? There seems to be a decent community forming around the rk3588 and orange pi 5 due to the lack of raspberry pi inventory. There are linux and android builds.

I would consider the rk3588 just for the upgraded web browsing experience as compared to a rpi4. I have a rpi4 hooked up to a 1080p spare tv and sometimes want to watch videos in a web browser. rpi4 web browsing (while much better than rpi3) is still awfully slow and you are pretty much limited to 1080p 30 if you want a decent experience.
Both boards have been in the "announcement stage" for quite some time now, AFAIK. If they'll be interesting to Kodi users will largely depend on the price, of course.

I agree that 8k support is something that we'll have to see if their marketing departments can even generate enough interest for. It is directly connected to monitor size and in our dwindling economic situation I have a feeling that TV sizes will stagnate just because room won't be very affordable in the near future. The current generation watches almost everything on their mobile phones so the next logical step will probably be something like better monitors in glasses instead.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, the Rockchip chip might be faster in terms of raw power whereas the Amlogic chip might have slightly better connectivity. Then again, both are not boxes but boards primarily targeted for industry use where long time support is more important than 0-day-features. We'll have to see how the reference designs will be implemented in the real world.

The new Rockchip will probably be supported by LibreELEC, whereas the new Amlogic chip MIGHT be supported by CoreELEC - but that team does not always get the complete specs from the manufacturer and have to do quite a bit of reverse engineering by trial and error.
ive seen a number of reports on how rockchip overheats - it may be a small percentage and have nothing to do with the upcoming chip but it would cause me to lean away from rockchip in general if other options are available and at a comparable price with comparable features
To my knowledge, not many companies will be able to obtain S928x, at least not yet.
beyond chip type, imho, is important the software support

I prefer amlogic but software development is still underripe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amlogic S928x or Rockchip RK3588 ?0