Linux HP EliteDesk 800-Ubuntu 22.04-4K Live TV problem
Just installed Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on an HP EliteDesk 800 G3 Intel Core i5. This unit has the Intel HD 630 GPU and does support 4K hardware acceleration.

Installed Kodi Nexus and TVH client for Live TV. Problem starts trying to play any of the HEVC 4K demo channels. The spinning wheel and working appears and finally sound but no picture.

Once I turn off hardware acceleration those channels play fine . I recorded a short clip of one of the demo channels and enabled hardware acceleration and Kodi played back the clip no problem with hardware acceleration enabled as can be seen with the onscreen O option.

Vainfo clearly reports support for vaapi and in the Kodi Player hardware acceleration is offered for hevc as an option as hevc vaapi. No problem with hardware acceleration in VLC.

This one has me puzzled. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this.
might be more enlightening know what profile is trying to be played there could also be audio considerations

check your cpu usage when attempting to playback

verify firmware is up to date, use non-free where necessary
All done.

I can’t play the transport stream live with hardware acceleration yet it will play it recorded.

I’ll run debug when back at the computer and have a look at the logs.

I just thought someone might quickly spot this particular behaviour. The jury is out here on Nexus v Matrix. Still early days though.
While I’m waiting to run that debug log I was checking on the spec of the onboard GPU. According to this native HDCP 2.2 support, along with fixed function decode of H. 264 (AVC), HEVC Main and Main10/10-bit, and VP9 10-bit and 8-bit video.

This would indicate that VAAPI should be supported on this machine in HEVC 4K. All firmware is currently up to date
Here's the contents of vainfo

libva info: VA-API version 1.14.0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_14
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.14 (libva 2.12.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel iHD driver for Intel® Gen Graphics - 22.3.1 ()
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               :    VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileH264High               :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               :    VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           :    VAEntrypointEncPicture
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:    VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
      VAProfileVP8Version0_3          :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain               :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain10             :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP9Profile0            :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP9Profile2            :    VAEntrypointVLD
Here's a copy of the debug log. Hopefully it's created correctly https://paste.kodi.tv/osinopozet
that log is not debug enabled, see Debug Log

-----

what i did see is that hts only reports streaming profiles for h264 and vp8, not hevc

according to this https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/hd_graphics_630 max resolution for vp8 on intel hd 630 is 1080p

so, what is actually being played would be the question
(2023-04-29, 19:37)jepsizofye Wrote: that log is not debug enabled, see Debug Log

-----

what i did see is that hts only reports streaming profiles for h264 and vp8, not hevc

according to this https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/hd_graphics_630 max resolution for vp8 on intel hd 630 is 1080p

so, what is actually being played would be the question

I enabled logging at component level. Full debug logs are absolutely huge and can’t be uploaded.

All I’m trying to do is send a raw transport stream from the server to be decoded at the client end. The server just does as it’s told. It doesn’t worry what is in that stream. The fact that I can view the recorded stream in Kodi would indicate that.

As I’ve stated previously Kodi gives me the option in the Player>Processing>Render Method>Allow hardware acceleration-VAAPI to enable Use VP9 VAAPI and Use HEVC VAAPI.

Those options would not be available to select if the GPU didn’t support them
(2023-04-29, 20:15)petediscrete Wrote: I enabled logging at component level.

Why? Just try the normal debugging at first.
You can also try chopping up upload a log file into multiple parts.
(2023-04-29, 20:39)Klojum Wrote:
(2023-04-29, 20:15)petediscrete Wrote: I enabled logging at component level.

Why? Just try the normal debugging at first.
You can also try chopping up upload a log file into multiple parts.

You were a great help the last time I had issues with HP graphics https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=372085

Looking at the output from vainfo it looks like this time the GPU does support 4K unlike its predecessor which was supported in Windows by some form of hybrid driver not applicable in Linux.
This is a fix I did on an earlier Ubuntu version, 21.10 I think, when I had HEVC problems on a J5005 / UHD605 machine. Things were solved later so I imagine it was a Linux kernel hiccup.
export LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME="i965"

So, not a clue if it will help your problem.
Guarantees: none. Eek
(2023-04-29, 21:48)Klojum Wrote: This is a fix I did on an earlier Ubuntu version, 21.10 I think, when I had HEVC problems on a J5005 / UHD605 machine. Things were solved later so I imagine it was a Linux kernel hiccup.

No guarantees expected 😂

I’m thinking it is a driver issue and possibly resolved after kernel 5.19x which unfortunately is what Ubuntu 22.04 LTS uses by default.

I do remember yourself and @noggin shed enough light on the whole subject of HP graphics to convince me that Intel HD 530 wouldn’t do 4K but from what I’ve read so far there’s no reason why Intel HD 630 couldn’t. A quote from https://www.exxactcorp.com/blog/HPC/comp...processors

Unlike Skylake, which depends on software, Kaby Lake has hardware support for encoding and decoding 10-bit 4K HEVC video codecs and 4K VP9. This results in improved battery life and power consumption, compared to software encoding and decoding.

This appears to bear out the possibility of problems with incorrect Linux drivers in my case.

Obviously if anyone else has an opinion to add please do. Thanks to all so far.
(2023-04-29, 21:48)Klojum Wrote: This is a fix I did on an earlier Ubuntu version, 21.10 I think, when I had HEVC problems on a J5005 / UHD605 machine. Things were solved later so I imagine it was a Linux kernel hiccup.

Tried that suggestion. No luck. Also tried
LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME="iHD” just in case. No luck either.

All my searching on Kaby Lake and Intel HD 630 definitely point to hevc 4K support so this is truly a puzzle.
I have a dual boot on my UHD605 box, and I can tell that the Win 11 video drivers are more optimized for Intel graphics. Higher resolutions are simply handled smoother and faster. It is what it is.
(2023-05-01, 06:15)Klojum Wrote: I have a dual boot on my UHD605 box, and I can tell that the Win 11 video drivers are more optimized for Intel graphics. Higher resolutions are simply handled smoother and faster. It is what it is.

Well I came at this from a different direction. I forgot about NextPVR and its ability to run in Linux.

I completely disabled TVH and installed NPVR. Installed the NPVR PVR client in Kodi. I enabled VAAPI HEVC hardware acceleration in Kodi settings. I’ve now got a perfect HEVC picture on the Astra UHD demo channels. No stuttering or stalling or dropped frames either.

It now looks like the problem lies between Kodi, the Kodi pvr-hts and TVH.

I compiled the latest commit of TVH on this machine so it looks like my next port of call will be the TVH forum to see if anyone can shed any further light on this problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP EliteDesk 800-Ubuntu 22.04-4K Live TV problem0