Recommend a New PC build For 4K Video
Hi All

Been looking to build a new HDR 4K System as i have a 10 year old pc that needs some new parts.  I am looking just for a video system at the moment and then gamming in the future.

So the parts i am looking at are
MD Ryzen™ 7 7700 as this has built in GFX to tide me over
Gigabyte B650M AORUS ELITE AX motherboard
Windows 11 For HDR

So, would this be ok to play all file types of videos even the most demanding bitrates and All HDR types With All HD Audios,  

What GFX Card Should I go for in a few months when i need to game would there be a GFX card that i would need to play better video picture quality like Intel/Nvidia Super Video Resolution ? is there any hardware acceleration that would be built into the GFX over the onboard GFX of the CPU Chip that i might need. what is the best most compatible GFX card for kodi for all codecs or is all manufactures just the same apart from this Super Video Resolution which is only supported by 2.

Thanks for any help on the new upgrade for my future 4k tv 

thanks for any input you might have.
If you skip the gaming part for now and settle for playing video hevc 4k HDR maybe a Raspberry Pi 4 with LibreELEC might be a cheaper solution.
Not To realy interested in a pi4 as like I say want to be able to support all formats and the pi4 can not do that. Plus it would cost £100 for the pi4 which I would put agents pc parts a lot of cash just for a stop gap
I'm using this Ryzen 7 5800H miniPC & have been happy with it. Solid 4K HDR (w/full HD/object audio passthru) + decent PC gaming performer. Was only $325 when I bought it a couple weeks ago.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
like MatteN, i too cannot recommend a PC and suggest you consider alternatives
As others have stated - a dedicated device will likely provide better picture quality, be less expensive, and be less complicated to maintain (monkeying around with finicky NVIDIA card drivers and madVR is no fun.)

Nearly any of the currently available ARM-based SoCs running at least Android 8.0 or CoreELEC will give you HDR10 and some higher-end ARM SoCs will properly play HLG HDR, HDR10Plus, and (with a Dolby Vision licensed BLOB in Android) DV HDR profile 8.1 and profile 5.

I use the NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 model) and since Shield Experience Upgrade 9.0.2 finally fixed the red push, it provides an exceptionally good video quality on a compliant display.

Plenty of folks use x86/NVIDIA/Windows boxes for HDR10 through Kodi but it seems a less mature path and one that may have a less clear future for other flavors of HDR. Your mileage, as they say, will vary; but personally I don't think its worth investing in that platform for Kodi. It was fine in the past with SDR/BT.709 because that's all there was before the Pivos XIOS DS at the end of 2012 (although it was never able to do proper 23.976 fps.) but I think it makes more sense to have a dedicated Kodi box and a separate gaming device.

update: NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 model) is now $169.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YP9FBMM still a bit "spendy" but a rare price drop for this device.
(2023-07-09, 17:07)meridius Wrote: Not To realy interested in a pi4 as like I say want to be able to support all formats and the pi4 can not do that. Plus it would cost £100 for the pi4 which I would put agents pc parts a lot of cash just for a stop gap
A Pi4 2GB costs about £45 and an official power supply less than 10.
(2023-07-09, 17:07)meridius Wrote: Not To realy interested in a pi4 as like I say want to be able to support all formats and the pi4 can not do that. Plus it would cost £100 for the pi4 which I would put agents pc parts a lot of cash just for a stop gap

£100?  2GB Pi 4B in stock at Pimoroni as I type for £44.88. Official case £5.40. Official PSU £9. That's nearer £60.  uSD card will add another fiver or so.

If you want you can buy a 4GB Pi4B bundle including PSU, uSD card, Case and HDMI cable (Pi4B is micro HDMI) for £83.70 - which is also currently in stock (though you really only need a 2GB Pi 4B for Kodi AIUI)

It's silent - gets a lot of development effort thrown at it - and supports HDR10 UHD replay.

If you want DolbyVision then something like a Homatics R4K Plus with CoreElec will cost you around £150 I think - boxed and with a PSU - though you'll need to boot from a USB stick.

I used to be a big x86 Kodi user and build my own HTPCs or use Chromeboxes etc. - but since UHD HDR content kicked in I've just switched to ARM.  I don't have a huge library and use Estuary rather than a CPU heavy, eye-candy, skin.
(2023-07-09, 20:31)jepsizofye Wrote: like MatteN, i too cannot recommend a PC and suggest you consider alternatives

Why not recommend a pc ? What alternatives
The NVIDIA Shield TV Pro is there any disadvantages or any limitations of the device to play
Play 4k, 1080p. 1080i. 480i, 576p. All HDR formats and HD audio passthrough

I am sure I read the shield can not auto switch frame rate to the source eg 24p from 60

What about av1 codec support and SMB shares from a windows pc as I have a windows server

Just trying to think what others problems smaller arm boxes seem to come
With. I do like nice skin that has all the eye candy as well though
(2023-07-11, 08:05)meridius Wrote:
(2023-07-09, 20:31)jepsizofye Wrote: like MatteN, i too cannot recommend a PC and suggest you consider alternatives

Why not recommend a pc ? What alternatives

there are so many dedicated offers which have more features and work 'maintenance free' vs a pc which is limited and needs constant updates

if you look at the general support section post count as any indicator, pc post count is far higher than android and pi - windows has 252,000+ posts and linux 230,000+

conversely android at 107,000 and pi 83,000 seems to indicate they need less attention at minimum but could indicate they encounter less issues

could be popularity i suppose but i would suggest linux is less popular than android

then considering pc costs more initially plus the maintenance

at minimum, there is no dolby vision on anything but android and that's my biggest thing right now

looking at future forward devices i think pc is being phased out as the younger generations take hold
(2023-07-11, 15:22)jepsizofye Wrote: plus the maintenance

You mean like an oil change or new screen wipers? Tongue

I think you can have as much (or little) maintenance on an RPi or a PC running LibreELEC or something similar.
(2023-07-11, 15:31)Klojum Wrote: You mean like an oil change or new screen wipers? Tongue

sort of, more like the maintenance difference between a 2001 corolla vs a 2020+ corolla from my viewpoint

(2023-07-11, 15:31)Klojum Wrote: I think you can have as much (or little) maintenance on an RPi or a PC running LibreELEC or something similar.

true, libreelec would put a pc/pi more into the dedicated category vs windows and linux

-----

dedicated vs desktop os i suppose is the more appropriate comparison
So windows 11 and a pc can not do Dolby vision like an android box ?

What about the nvidia shields are these any good any problems or unsupported problems like frame rate switching I have herd is not supported by nvidia shields. ?
(2023-07-11, 16:15)meridius Wrote: So windows 11 and a pc can not do Dolby vision like an android box ?

no, a device has to be licensed by dolby to be able to play dolby vision - windows, linux, pi are not licensed - coreelec is working on dolby vision for licensed android devices but it's still early in development

(2023-07-11, 16:15)meridius Wrote: What about the nvidia shields are these any good any problems or unsupported problems like frame rate switching I have herd is not supported by nvidia shields. ?

hopefully one of the resident shield users can chime in on this question, i do not use shield or frame rate switching

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommend a New PC build For 4K Video0