Recommend a New PC build For 4K Video
Looking at the Panasonic or Sony oleds this year

But I have found this and these look very very promising the zidoo uhd5000 it’s android based and looks the business I have not read it all yet but brand new chipsets for 2023 and av1 support and Dolby vision. Not sure if you can put Kodi on these and get the Dolby vision.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/zidoo-z...w.2456497/
It takes a bit of time, but I suggest viewing these review videos https://www.avsforum.com/threads/picture...456/page-6

Spoiler: The Shield's video looks best.
(2023-07-12, 14:51)Sholander Wrote: My TV certainly does better upscaling than any mentioned machine...
Since you are concerned with picture quality I presume that you also have a top class TV
I use a LG 77C1. Upscaling is better through madVR than on my TV (outputting 1080p material in 1080p in Kodi and letting the TV upscale to screen resolution) and could be better in Kodi if better upscaling algorithm were implemented. They recently added Super Video Resolution in Kodi Omega (for Nvidia and Intel GPUs) but that's power hungry to a level not justified by performance, IMO. There's other algorithms that could be implemented for people with reasonably powerful GPUs. Sadly I am no developer, so more than respectfully ask I cannot do. :-)
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
The new Dune HD Premier 4K Pro seems promising but I think it’s that new know ones had it yet. Seems to do all the streaming service and local movies with all supported formats.
(2023-07-12, 02:49)brazen1 Wrote: ...

Spend the $50 on a GTX 960 4GB because it's the least expensive GPU proven to play anything I know of.  Plug it into your existing PC provided it has a PCIe lane, set things up - all of it free, rip some titles and enjoy 4k HDR.
Hi all...
@meridius... Please forgive me hijacking your post just a bit, but I've similar needs and could use some advices...

@brazen1 and others...

I'm in a similar position as OP... got a (Then...) nice HTPC assembled back in 2014, with a MoBo/CPU Combo, and integrated GPU that cannot play 4K@60 Hz on HDMI and, since getting a new Philips OLED Android TV, the HTPC is gathering dust because of lack of 4K.

Just want to revive it a bit and have it able to play 4K Files mostly from my NAS, without rebuild it completely, because I'll probably go the Android Box/Rpi way at some point soon.

IF I want to give a try to just a new GPU, to be used in the MoBo PCI-e 3.0 x16 free slot I have, what kind of (Cheap) GPU should I be looking for?

I've seen the suggestion for GTX 960 4GB but i'm afraid that it wouldn't fit my Grandia 04 Silverstone Case, as it has some size limitations.

Both a good used one or even a (CHEAP!) new-ish one would do...
Had my eyes on some kind of RX550 4Gb but I'd like to know beforehand if it is a reasonable choice.

Will keep using latest Libreelec+Kodi, for sake of simplicity...

I know the machine will have some limitations in some areas but, as I said, it'll be acceptable to me as far as I can play the 4K files from the NAS, through a current Denon AV or directly to TV when I have no need for loud volumes...

Thanks in advance, everyone
Joe
If all you want is HEVC decoding, then an Nvidia GT1030 is enough. If you want AV1 decoding for futureproofing, then you need a more modern card like Nvidia 30-series or Intel discrete card. Alder Lake CPUs also have hardware AV1 decoding. I'm using the integrated graphics on a 12100 and it works great as an HTPC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommend a New PC build For 4K Video0