Recommend a New PC build For 4K Video
@meridius

Just add a GTX 960 4GB video card to your existing Windows PC.  This is your most affordable option.  Online bidding sites routinely sell them for about $50.  It will handle all audio and all video except DV which is way overrated although you can still play DV on a Windows PC but it will layer back to HDR.  The O/S and everything else doesn't matter to render audio and video since the GPU hardware carries all of the heavy lifting.  As long as your choice of software players, like Kodi, comply with your O/S, that's all that matters.  Upgrading to W11 should be free of cost and it works as perfect as the previous builds should you prefer state-of-the-art.  Paid subscription streaming can also be a challenge if you're not in to owning your titles and you like to pay to watch something for a limited time only.  Every other aspect of playback will be handled perfectly unlike the multiple gadgets needed to make up for the deficiencies of the others.  Personally, I'd hate to have to pick and choose which devices for which title to playback.  I just like to press play.

A PC will still be needed for ripping and customizing your titles as will every other computing need before playback is ever considered be it from the same PC or an additional gadget.  A PC can eliminate most, if not all, extra gadgets too like a NAS for instance which in most cases is just another 2nd PC as if the 1st PC can't serve to clients just as well.  If a part in a PC fails for some reason (rare) or you simply want to upgrade something for some reason (a better GPU for gaming), you remove and replace that part instead of the entire gadget or adding yet another additional one.  Gadgets rely on firmware updates to keep up with the latest things.  Sooner than later, the hardware in them can't keep up with the software forcing the units to be trashed and replaced until the next round of the same thing occurs.

I hope my opines help you as might everyone else's.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
So basically I need a nvidia shield to

1 play Dolby vision / hdr / hd10+
2. Play Dolby atmos and other he audio formats as pass through
3 frame rate auto switching between 24p, 50 & 60
4. Handle windows smb shares

Or windows pc that plays everything above but Dolby vision.

There must be a reason why not everyone is jumping onto the Nvidia shield if it plays everything and Dolby vision.
(2023-07-11, 19:05)brazen1 Wrote: @meridius

Just add a GTX 960 4GB video card to your existing Windows PC.  This is your most affordable option.  Online bidding sites routinely sell them for about $50.  It will handle all audio and all video except DV which is way overrated although you can still play DV on a Windows PC but it will layer back to HDR.  The O/S and everything else doesn't matter to render audio and video since the GPU hardware carries all of the heavy lifting.  As long as your choice of software players, like Kodi, comply with your O/S, that's all that matters.  Upgrading to W11 should be free of cost and it works as perfect as the previous builds should you prefer state-of-the-art.  Paid subscription streaming can also be a challenge if you're not in to owning your titles and you like to pay to watch something for a limited time only.  Every other aspect of playback will be handled perfectly unlike the multiple gadgets needed to make up for the deficiencies of the others.  Personally, I'd hate to have to pick and choose which devices for which title to playback.  I just like to press play.

A PC will still be needed for ripping and customizing your titles as will every other computing need before playback is ever considered be it from the same PC or an additional gadget.  A PC can eliminate most, if not all, extra gadgets too like a NAS for instance which in most cases is just another 2nd PC as if the 1st PC can't serve to clients just as well.  If a part in a PC fails for some reason (rare) or you simply want to upgrade something for some reason (a better GPU for gaming), you remove and replace that part instead of the entire gadget or adding yet another additional one.  Gadgets rely on firmware updates to keep up with the latest things.  Sooner than later, the hardware in them can't keep up with the software forcing the units to be trashed and replaced until the next round of the same thing occurs.

I hope my opines help you as might everyone else's.

Thanks. I will keep it in mind. I did not relies how much a problem the 4k and hdr standard is a problem.
4k aka 2160p resolution and the HDR standard are not a problem at all.  Never has been.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2023-07-11, 19:05)brazen1 Wrote: except DV which is way overrated although

respectfully disagree, DV looks better than even HDR10+ on my screen - im sure this same opinion was had regarding other technology, "dvd is overrated, bluray is overrated, 4k is overrated, hdr is overrated" when the only one that actually disappeared is HDDVD

(2023-07-11, 19:05)brazen1 Wrote: A PC will still be needed for ripping and customizing your titles as will every other computing need before playback is ever considered be it from the same PC or an additional gadget.  A PC can eliminate most, if not all, extra gadgets too like a NAS for instance which in most cases is just another 2nd PC as if the 1st PC can't serve to clients just as well.

my nas is also my rip station with makemkv in an x11 docker i can load a disc and make my backups from any browser

(2023-07-11, 19:05)brazen1 Wrote: If a part in a PC fails for some reason (rare) or you simply want to upgrade something for some reason (a better GPU for gaming), you remove and replace that part instead of the entire gadget or adding yet another additional one.

a new gadget can in most cases be cheaper than a new part for an aging PC, personally i dont like how quickly a PC is out of date - the last htpc i did was out of date in 2 years despite paying over $1900 for it (could be i didnt consider everything though), it is now my nas

(2023-07-11, 19:05)brazen1 Wrote: Gadgets rely on firmware updates to keep up with the latest things.  Sooner than later, the hardware in them can't keep up with the software forcing the units to be trashed and replaced until the next round of the same thing occurs.

agree here, i have had a couple devices that the manufacturer stopped releasing updates for so they slowly fade into the "parts bin" (WDTV, Boxee Box to name a couple)

(2023-07-11, 19:05)brazen1 Wrote: I hope my opines help you as might everyone else's.

i love opinions and appreciate you sharing your point of view - all my posts here are opinion based on my experience as yours are based on yours, nobody has the same experience so it's good to compare
(2023-07-11, 21:38)jepsizofye Wrote: the last htpc i did was out of date in 2 years despite paying over $1900 for it (could be i didnt consider everything though)
With that kind of money you could have bought a PC that could have lasted 10 years for HTPC duties. I have a new machine now, for the past three years or so. The previous HTPC had been built in 2005 and it lasted till three years ago (I just changed GPU to handle H264 decoding but I kept using its case even in the new build).

PCs are still the fastest Kodi experience around. Except for Dolby Vision they can play everything. And as far as picture quality is concerned... still have to see upscalers on par from Android/Pi/Shield/Fire machines.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2023-07-11, 22:37)ashlar Wrote: With that kind of money you could have bought a PC that could have lasted 10 years for HTPC duties. I have a new machine now, for the past three years or so. The previous HTPC had been built in 2005 and it lasted till three years ago (I just changed GPU to handle H264 decoding but I kept using its case even in the new build).

right on

i could probably put libreelec back on it and it would be *acceptable* but my firetv cube does more so its relegated to nas duties
have to admit i have never had problems with picture quality on my pioneer 5090 with my pc that  i have been running a pc for about 12 years. I have been reading a lot today and it seems even the nvidia shield has its own problems and its not 100% as its stil has some problems. there does not seem to be anything that does not have there problems using the smaller cheaper systems.

its seems pc still is the better option that plays all but without Dolby vision, but i have read its possible with a windows system but you need to buy a surface pro as these are Dolby vision certified but the question is will the new kodi let you use it or is it designed to use it on that system. 

another question for windows can kodi  automatically switch between SDR and HDR in windows 11 ? i know not dolby vision but normal HDR, HDR10 Or Plus

thanks
(2023-07-12, 00:07)meridius Wrote: can kodi  automatically switch between SDR and HDR in windows 11
Absolutely and every other important and non-important function as well.  Set everything up accordingly once... and just press play. 

Fwiw, Pure Dolby Vision titles stripped of the HDR layer can be played in Windows using it's included built-in app - Movies & TV.  You will need to install a couple of free plug-ins from the Windows Store.  Afaik, the only pure DV titles that do not adhere to the HDR standard are those that have been manipulated and are not found retail anywhere... again, afaik.  That said, streaming services offer higher more expensive tiers that might offer a title in DV for their customers to stream provided they also have special DV compliant hardware.

But let's be real.  All UHD titles are required to have the HDR layer.  This means if you don't have a complete Dolby Vision chain, the title will still comply to the HDR standard and will be playable on every HDR chain - in HDR but not DV.  As you've probably gathered, the HDR standard is not a problem.  Dolby vision is.  Not only is it proprietary... which is the first dominoe in the cascade of problems, it's too specialized and that specialization costs extra as well.  Is the return worth it?  Take some blind sample tests.  Lastly, I don't see HDR, HDR10, or HDR10+ charging or requiring anything extra or special.  

Spend the $50 on a GTX 960 4GB because it's the least expensive GPU proven to play anything I know of.  Plug it into your existing PC provided it has a PCIe lane, set things up - all of it free, rip some titles and enjoy 4k HDR.

(2023-07-12, 02:49)brazen1 Wrote: streaming services offer higher more expensive tiers that might offer a title in DV for their customers to stream provided they also have special DV compliant hardware.

Disney+, Paramount+ and Peacock/Sky all deliver DolbyVision on their normal tier plans

probably netflix asks for more money for it, im not a customer of theirs just the others so i cant say
add prime video to the list of dolby vision services - https://www.dolby.com/en-gb/experience/h...rime-video
Thanks so Kodi can do this auto switch between sdr and hdr formats using a pc. Because your on about built in apps which I don’t relay want to do just boot
Kodi and be done as I have now.

Anyone know if Kodi supports will pc devices that have the Dolby Vision licence like a surface pro

Thanks
(2023-07-12, 07:42)meridius Wrote: Anyone know if Kodi supports will pc devices that have the Dolby Vision licence like a surface pro

no, kodi for windows is not compiled to support Dolby Vision and the response i received indicates it is not possible to do

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3145679

you might get the movies and tv app from the windows store to support it and perhaps get it configured as an external player for kodi at best

fact is for the foreseeable future, android boxes dominate dolby vision

you aren't concerned with dolby vision streaming offers so that is off the table so you can enjoy the HDR+ fallback on windows from commercial blu-ray like brazen1 pointed out

-----

it is coming across that you really just want windows but you want everyone to tell you it's a good choice before you make it, so, go for it
It’s not that it’s just every android box or other devices seem to fail at certain points. So even though they support Dolby vision they have their own problems which pc does not. Am just trying to make the right choice
(2023-07-11, 22:37)ashlar Wrote: And as far as picture quality is concerned... still have to see upscalers on par from Android/Pi/Shield/Fire machines.

If you use Kodi on all those machines, then that is  not a big concern. Simply on all of them just "whitelist" all resolutions and then the upscaling task is done by your TV. My TV certainly does better upscaling than any mentioned machine...
Since you are concerned with picture quality I presume that you also have a top class TV  Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommend a New PC build For 4K Video0