Upscaling...Revisted
(2023-12-14, 23:58)Sholander Wrote: Hehe, you don't really understand what your TV does to 1080p signal it receives; of course TV upscales it to 2160 Smile Otherwise you'd see video shown only on one quarter of your display like on this picture
With Whitelist deactivated, Kodi upscales 1080p resolution to 21650p, and then sends it as such to TV. If you have a decent TV, especially some top Sony model you'd surely prefer your tv do the upscaling, since no android box can do a better job than todays top notch TVs.
I understand that very well...My whitelist is deactivated, and Kodi does not scale it up to 2160p but sends it exactly 1:1 to the TV (TV input 1080p). I want the TV to do the upscaling, that's why I want to understand exactly how the WL works. But one says the WL must be activated, the other says no, it must be deactivated!
Code:
Whitelist
Settings level: Expert
Description: From the pop-up box, select the resolutions that Kodi is allowed to switch to when a resolution or refresh rate change is required by the content being played.
Whitelisted modes depend on the connected screen/monitor/TV and hardware in use.
When a whitelist is set Kodi will only switch if the exact resolution and refresh rate is matched to a selected entry in the whitelist, otherwise it will match the desktop resolution (and refresh rate).
Example-
Kodi or desktop is set to 3840x2160 at 60 Hz
Content is 1920x1080p at 24 Hz
If "1920x1080p at 24 Hz" is whitelisted, Kodi will switch to 1920x1080p at 24 Hz
If "1920x1080p at 24 Hz" is not whitelisted, Kodi will play at 3840x2160 at 60 Hz.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/D...hitelist_2
(2023-12-15, 10:52)Hitcher Wrote:
Code:
Whitelist
Settings level: Expert
Description: From the pop-up box, select the resolutions that Kodi is allowed to switch to when a resolution or refresh rate change is required by the content being played.
Whitelisted modes depend on the connected screen/monitor/TV and hardware in use.
When a whitelist is set Kodi will only switch if the exact resolution and refresh rate is matched to a selected entry in the whitelist, otherwise it will match the desktop resolution (and refresh rate).
Example-
Kodi or desktop is set to 3840x2160 at 60 Hz
Content is 1920x1080p at 24 Hz
If "1920x1080p at 24 Hz" is whitelisted, Kodi will switch to 1920x1080p at 24 Hz
If "1920x1080p at 24 Hz" is not whitelisted, Kodi will play at 3840x2160 at 60 Hz.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/D...hitelist_2
I have read this entry in Wiki 1000 times...but that doesn't change the fact that there are always contradictions here and in other forums.
I was told in the German forum that if I want the TV to do the scaling, then I should leave the WL empty. So this statement is wrong?

I quote DaVu (Team Kodi Member): "If I want the TV to scale...why should I set a resolution for it? If I set a resolution in the whitelist, the TV no longer scales and plays back the resolution I have set as long as it matches the content of the video material."
No matter what anybody says or writes here is my situation, and how Kodi 21_beta2 behaves on my Odroid N2s in CoreElec (sorry I don't use Kodi on Android so maybe it's OT) connected to my Sony and LG TVs. On both N2 boxes Kodi desktop resolution is set to 3840x2160 at 60 Hz:
With Whitelist empty, I run a 1080p at 24 Hz video -> my TVs receive 3840x2160 at 60 Hz signal. So, Kodi does the upscaling and changes the refresh rate.
With 1080p/24Hz in Whitelist, I run the same 1080p/24Hz video -> my TVs receive 1920x1080 at 24 Hz signal. So, naturally my TVs do the upscaling to completely fill the display area, and keep the original refresh. (I also set "Adjust display refresh rate" -> On start/stop) 
Sorry, but I cannot explain it more clearly than this...
(2023-12-15, 14:47)Sholander Wrote: Kodi desktop resolution is set to 3840x2160 at 60 Hz:
With Whitelist empty, I run a 1080p at 24 Hz video -> my TVs receive 3840x2160 at 60 Hz signal. So, Kodi does the upscaling and changes the refresh rate.
Thank you for your example, my Android box and Kodi GUI is set to 1080p/50Hz and here is my situation with an empty Whitelist:
E.g.#1 1080p/25Hz Video -> TV receive 1080p/50Hz (Display Info Kodi by pressing z on a keyboard shows 1080p->1080p --> that means no upscaling?)
E.g.#2 1080p/24Hz Video -> TV receive 2160p/24Hz (Display Info Kodi by pressing z on a keyboard shows 1080p->1080p --> that means no upscaling?)
E.g.#3 1080p/59.94Hz Video -> TV receive 2160p/60Hz (Display Info Kodi by pressing z on a keyboard shows 1080p->1080p --> that means no upscaling?)
Why does the TV in example #1 have 1080p and in #2&3 2160p if the whitelist is empty? And can't you see from the Display Info Kodi that Kodi is not upscaling?
I don't understand that Smile
@Hitcher the resolution of the Kodi GUI has no influence on the playback or am I wrong here?
Quote:there are always contradictions here and in other forums.

Yes you are right in that statement. It's always helpful to understand Kodi as a library management program and it's interface (at whatever resolution set or using the o/s parameters) is a separate entity from the built in video player (One of the benefits of this method, external players of your choice). The player resolution is dependant on the media, and what is reflected back from the handshaking Edid, verses if you're just passing along the signal via local manipulation by your gfx engine. EDID is the introductory greeting and handshake between two devices. EDID stands for “Extended Display Identification Data.” Upon the “handshake” connection, the source device (the PC etc) communicates with the display (the video source) and transfers essential data for a successful link. In short explanation, 2 screens, one for the Kodi interface and one for the player and at the time of invocation of the player the software will do this interrogation of the video capabilities.

If you local device uses hdmi wasapi handshaking, and the capabilities of the gfx engine allow for it; the EDID table is reported 'what your hardware display is capable' (a debug log will show what res is reported back) then you can specify what res choices are available to use in the whitelist; left with no whitelist, the media will be passed along and your display will chose the format and do any upscale etc. A whitelist should lock down the res as reported sent to the display; but the display hardware may overrule and manipulate (all those TV enhancements. depends on chips, brand, routines etc.). Suggest no whitelist (especially if you move from one display to another) unless you have odd-ball monitors or TV to lock down res.
(2023-12-15, 16:50)-locha- Wrote:
(2023-12-15, 14:47)Sholander Wrote: Kodi desktop resolution is set to 3840x2160 at 60 Hz:
Thank you for your example, my Android box and Kodi GUI is set to 1080p/50Hz and here is my situation with an empty Whitelist:
E.g.#1 1080p/25Hz Video -> TV receive 1080p/50Hz (Display Info Kodi by pressing z on a keyboard shows 1080p->1080p --> that means no upscaling?)
E.g.#2 1080p/24Hz Video -> TV receive 2160p/24Hz (Display Info Kodi by pressing z on a keyboard shows 1080p->1080p --> that means no upscaling?)
E.g.#3 1080p/59.94Hz Video -> TV receive 2160p/60Hz (Display Info Kodi by pressing z on a keyboard shows 1080p->1080p --> that means no upscaling?)
Why does the TV in example #1 have 1080p and in #2&3 2160p if the whitelist is empty? And can't you see from the Display Info Kodi that Kodi is not upscaling?
I don't understand that Smile

Cannot give you any relevant answer to that, since I don't know which underlying OS and which version of Kodi and which TV you are using, and they all can influence your viewing experience.
But since you say "... my Android box and Kodi GUI is set to 1080p/50Hz and here is my situation with an empty Whitelist", 1080p is the only resolution you can see pressing "z"
I suggest you also  look closely at all 3 options in "The Player Process Info" (pressing "o" on a keyboard when video is playing)
And if you use "z", then show all 3 lines listed there, View mode, Sizing, and Screen resolution
Thanks a lot for the info.
I use Kodi 20.2 on a Xiaomi MiBox S - Android 9 and this is connected to an LG OLEDC17LB. The problem with the Xiaomi box is that the whitelist only shows 1080p resolutions, which is probably due to a faulty firmware from Xiaomi. What I want is that the box or Kodi only passes the video material (passthrough) and the TV takes over the upscaling. It is still not clear to me which settings influence this.
As I understand it so far in this thread, everything has to be activated in Whitelist for passthrough of the video material.
Does it matter what resolution the Kodi GUI is set to?
And what about the resolution of the Android box? If this is set to 1080p, does Kodi still upscale to 2160p or only to 1080p?
Where can I see how kodi scales? In the log (what exactly) or also on the player process info?
(2023-12-15, 20:57)PatK Wrote:
Quote:there are always contradictions here and in other forums.

...left with no whitelist, the media will be passed along and your display will chose the format and do any upscale etc. A whitelist should lock down the res as reported sent to the display; but the display hardware may overrule and manipulate (all those TV enhancements. depends on chips, brand, routines etc.). Suggest no whitelist (especially if you move from one display to another) unless you have odd-ball monitors or TV to lock down res.
Wait a minute. So no whitelist after all? So kodi doesn't have to upscale anything and does passthrough and the tv does everything?
The easiest way I've found to know who is doing the scaling is to play something low res. (eg 720p) and bring up the UI. If it looks a bit rough then Kodi is outputting at 720p and the TV is then upscaling the UI which is why it looks rough. On the other hand if it looks nice and sharp then Kodi is outputting at the TV res. so the UI is scaled perfectly by Kodi.
(2023-12-16, 10:50)Hitcher Wrote: The easiest way I've found to know who is doing the scaling is to play something low res. (eg 720p) and bring up the UI. If it looks a bit rough then Kodi is outputting at 720p and the TV is then upscaling the UI which is why it looks rough. On the other hand if it looks nice and sharp then Kodi is outputting at the TV res. so the UI is scaled perfectly by Kodi.
Unfortunately, I cannot activate 720 in my whitelist. But I don't understand your statement either, everyone says that the TV upscales it much better than Kodi. You are saying exactly the opposite
(2023-12-16, 08:57)-locha- Wrote: Thanks a lot for the info.
I use Kodi 20.2 on a Xiaomi MiBox S - Android 9 and this is connected to an LG OLEDC17LB. The problem with the Xiaomi box is that the whitelist only shows 1080p resolutions, which is probably due to a faulty firmware from Xiaomi. What I want is that the box or Kodi only passes the video material (passthrough) and the TV takes over the upscaling. It is still not clear to me which settings influence this.
As I understand it so far in this thread, everything has to be activated in Whitelist for passthrough of the video material.
And what about the resolution of the Android box? If this is set to 1080p, does Kodi still upscale to 2160p or only to 1080p?
Where can I see how kodi scales? In the log (what exactly) or also on the player process info?
If you want to tell exactly what resolution and framerate your LG TV is receiving go to all settings/General/Programs highlight program tuning and settings but don't open it,
press 1 on the remote 5 times and you will get a diagnostic screen, in the bottom right side of the screen will be the info you want.
That sequence works on both my LG oled's so hopefully it will for you and helps you determine whether your box or TV is handling the scaling.
(2023-12-16, 11:10)-locha- Wrote:
(2023-12-16, 10:50)Hitcher Wrote: The easiest way I've found to know who is doing the scaling is to play something low res. (eg 720p) and bring up the UI. If it looks a bit rough then Kodi is outputting at 720p and the TV is then upscaling the UI which is why it looks rough. On the other hand if it looks nice and sharp then Kodi is outputting at the TV res. so the UI is scaled perfectly by Kodi.
Unfortunately, I cannot activate 720 in my whitelist. But I don't understand your statement either, everyone says that the TV upscales it much better than Kodi. You are saying exactly the opposite

Isn't that going to also depend on the quality of the upscaler of your TV/Kodi box.  I'm not sure you could make a blanket statement like that and have it be true in every case.  At some point the user has to decide what looks better to them.
Kodi Omega (arm64) nightly, nVidia Shield Pro 2019 SE 9.1.1+Hotfix (Android 11), Samsung Q8FN, Synology DS1821+ DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 4
(2023-12-16, 08:57)-locha- Wrote: Thanks a lot for the info.
OK, now the things are a lot clearer to me. If your box/Android resolution is set to 1080p, Kodi can't do anything to change that. ALL video you play is output to TV in 1080p/xHz (x depending on Android setting). This way your TV is always doing necessary upscaling. The downside of this setting is that when Kodi plays an UHD video your Android first converts it to 1080p, then sends that format to TV which again converts it to 2160p to fill the display area. 
Not sure about possibilities of your Android version on your Xiaomi box, but if it can switch resolutions and refresh rate, like many boxes can, then I'd suggest you set Android resolution to 2160p/60Hz. Then in Kodi select "Adjust display refresh rate" -> On start/stop"; starting any video in Kodi will the set the video output to any native file resolution/refresh rate and pass it through to TV. If your box cannot do that (change resolution/refresh rate in Android) get one that can for complete experience.

To check what video format your TV receives from the box follow instructions @stammie wrote in post #28. (Although this might depend on the firmware version on your LG TV. On my LG with firmware 7.xxx it's enough to bring up the Info overlay)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upscaling...Revisted0