Passthrough issues
Hi there!
So I’m using Kodi on my FireTV Stick, which is connected to my soundbar (Q930), which is connected to my TV (HDMI ARC)

I tried Kodi 20.2 and 21 (pre-release).

When setting passthrough output device to AudioTrack (RAW) I can also enable both DD and DD+ options in Kodi.
When pausing and unpausing a movie, the Audio stutters or is completely gone until I restart Kodi.

When setting the passthrough output device to Audio Track (IEC) I don’t have this issue and I can unpause a movie normally.
However I can’t enable the DD, DD+, DTS etc. options. If I do so, there is no audio at all.

My soundbar is capable to decode all of those options.

Any ideas what I could try?
You did not mention which FireTV stick you use. If you talk about the 4K stick, amazon killed the IEC passthrough in a firmware update roughly 1.5 years ago. It's still there but the firmware blocks it.
For RAW and seeking: Yes, that's a very nasty issue and very hard to workaround with the RAW API. While it stutters now for you - it works for others. RAW AddPause, the code which is responsible for properly handling pause / unpause was "workarounded" for 20.1 as plenty devices had issues with it. Seems your device liked it better.

Could you install 20.0 apk - does this work for you?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks for the prompt reply!

I installed Kodi 20.0 and now it works for me with the RAW audiotrack and both Dolby settings.
No stuttering/audio issues after pausing!
This solves it.

Yes, I use a FireTV Stick 4K Ultra HD (2021)

I guess I shouldn’t install the new Kodi versions in the foreseeable future?

I still don’t really get what Kodi 20.2/21 is giving me, when selecting IEC and unchecking the DD, DD+, DTS etc. options.
My soundbar was indicating DD+.
But surely it’s worse audio quality than I’d get when enabling the DD+ option and letting my soundbar do the decoding, right?
Kodi does not introduce a loss when decoding the data, but some soundbards cannot handle the decoded multi pcm stream properly.

Let me post you a test build later on to see if we can get your pause / resume working properly.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
One more question:
You have the pause / resume issue in both DD+ _and_ normal Dolby? Or only in DD+? with 20.2 and nightlies?
Yes, both DD and DD+.
When enabling the DD option, then there was no audio in DD files.
The same logic for the DD+ option.

I tested that in the 20.2 recommended version and the 21 Alpha 2 (prerelease).

I didn’t try DTS tough. But this option isn’t available when selecting the RAW output so it shouldn’t matter.
Could you please install 20.2 again and give me a Debug Log when you play Dolby, not DD+ to show the issue, please?
Reason: The only real relevant change that influences pause / resume was done to DD+ only, nothing changed for normal Dolby.

Thanks in advance.
Sure thing - will report back later (in around 1-2 hours)
You were right!
The issue was only with DD+ content.
I played a few files with AC3 content and pausing/unpausing works normally.
You will find an apk here: https://jenkins.kodi.tv/view/Android/job...cker/3376/ - based on 20.2 after it is finished. Please install it and tell me about your results.
Here: https://jenkins.kodi.tv/view/Android/job...bi-v7a.apk
Just tried the build: The audio works and I couldn’t reproduce any bigger issues after unpausing
@jogal What shall we do. Seems there is a machine, which does not like the faked pause being removed. Above build has: https://github.com/fritsch/xbmc/commit/3...5f65e7fd71 included, which reverts your idea of fixing RAW-Seek especially for the Shield.

Thanks very much for testing @Niko21
@Niko21: https://jenkins.kodi.tv/view/Android/job...bi-v7a.apk <- does this work for you, too okayish?
@jogal: https://jenkins.kodi.tv/view/Android/job...64-v8a.apk does it work on the Shield for seeking TrueHD? Atmos DD+?

Works okayish on my Firetv Cube 3rd Gen.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Passthrough issues0