Passthrough issues
Ok, could you tell me which of the sample files found here exhibit the issue that you experience: https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/multichannel.html

Then I will try them out on my setup with my Denon AV receiver.
@MrMagic You mean I should try the test files after I have reset all audio settings in KODI back to 5.1 and activated all passthru options? In other words, after I have undone the settings with 2.0 sound and AC3/AC3 transcoding?

If so, how exactly should I test these audio files in KODI? They are not " movie files". Should I download the MP4 versions and, for example, rename them to some kind of film (like "Forrest Gump (1994)") so that KODI thinks it is a film and I can play it like a film? I only use KODI for movies.
@dajana.s Yes that's what I meant. Which test file exhibits the problem if you let Kodi convert it to PCM (so set speakers to 5.1 and disable transcoding)?

You can download the file and place it in a location where you normally put your movies. Then browse to the file through Kodi's file browser and selecting it to start playback.
@MrMagic I have now tried it out. I downloaded the files for "AAC Channel ID" (HE-AAC Bitstream), "Channel Identification" (AAC Bitstream) and HE-AAC Channel ID (HE-AAC Bitstream) and selected and played them using the file browser in KODI. So I skipped the part where I rename the files to any film name.

I have set the settings to 5.1 and activated all supported codecs in the passthru (everything there is activated). The first time I play it, it usually works: Front left sound, centre sound, right sound, rear right sound, rear left sound. At that moment, PCM is displayed on the AV receiver. I press pause, for example, and then the AV receiver flickers and displays DTS and Dolby Digital Plus (simultaneously), for example. But now I can only hear sound from the front left, centre and front right. No more sound from the rear speakers. I first have to select the file again in the browser and play it, then sometimes it plays correctly again. There are also times when PCM is displayed on the AV receiver, but still only front left, centre and front right sound is played.

It is only helpful if I set the speaker configuration to 2.0 (and only AC3 and AC3 transcoding) and then back to 5.1 (with all supported codecs) - then it plays correctly (sometimes), but as soon as I pause, only the front speakers play sound again.

This affects all three files.

With "Channel Identification", I have noticed that the sound is significantly quieter compared to AAC Channel ID and HE-AAC Channel ID.

Only the change to 2.0 and AC3 and AC3 Transcoding allows the sound to be permanently correct. Front left, centre, front right, rear right, rear left and subwoofer.
@dajana.s I tried all three AAC files on my Nvidia Shield and had no problems playing, pausing and resuming them. Both formats worked fine (i.e. 5.1 channels with PCM and 2.0 channels with transcoding). My Denon receiver kept displaying the correct input format even when pausing the playback.

So there must be something wrong with your device or the communication between your device and receiver. It was a Firestick I believe?

I don't remember exactly, but did you already post a debug log of a session where the issue occurs and post it here for @fritsch to take look at?

Btw, I'm using a recent Omega nightly at the moment (kodi-20240226).
@MrMagic I am using the Fire TV Stick 4K Max (2nd Gen) and latest Firmware. Yes, back then I plublished a Logfile and because I replaced a line with the name of my PC and IP address with XXXXXXXX, the log file were not looked into 🤷‍♂️

But if I understand you correctly, then I have practically no "disadvantage" if I set everything to AC3 and AC3 transcoding at 2.0, right?
(2024-03-05, 18:59)dajana.s Wrote: But if I understand you correctly, then I have practically no "disadvantage" if I set everything to AC3 and AC3 transcoding at 2.0, right?

@MrMagic Right?
(2024-03-05, 18:59)dajana.s Wrote: But if I understand you correctly, then I have practically no "disadvantage" if I set everything to AC3 and AC3 transcoding at 2.0, right?

Well, in your case the audio follows the path of AAC (lossy) to PCM (uncompressed) to AC3 (lossy again). So in theory you could loose some quality.

But since your sources are already compressed with the lossy AAC codec, you will probably not notice no.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Passthrough issues0