Not very useful for me
1) There seems no way of creating a library from my directory structure of mp3 files. And also, they are on a different disk, and it is impossible to navigate to a disk in many of the menus. I hate iTunes. Why should I have to use it to import a library rather than dirctly import mp3 files?

2) I set the hardware for digital and to use the internal digital out. And the other boxes are checked. But the sound comes from my MacPro internal speaker.

3) I am unable to select the ripping output directory on a different disk. That is where I store my huge mp3 collection.

No
I put a CD in the drive, and could figure out no way to rip it. It started playing through my internal speaker. The interface is way too cutsey for real use.
Did you bother to even look into these "problems" before drawing your conclusions?

1a. Open context menu on folder "Scan to Library". Complex, right?
1b. Did you try adding a new source to said "different disk"?
2. Gonna have to wait for davilla on that probably.
3. Assuming you do 1b you should be able to choose that dir to rip to.
4. music > add source > browse. choose cdrom. open context menu on said new source, "Rip Tracks".
5. Try one of the MANY third party skins then.

Since we have clearly offended you with our FIRST BETA release of this atrocious application, I'm going to offer you a refund for the full retail price XBMC.
Maybe it is easy for you. The GUI baffles me. I can find no folder menu, nor can I figure out how to access "context." There is no help. The Apple menus have essentially no entries at all.

You have a beta. I am testing it and trying my best to give you my impressions. Are you using this on a Mac?
It crashed too.
jarome: Press "C" on the keyboard to get the context menu, or right click on the mouse (ctrl click I guess if you only have a single mouse button?) This holds all the goodies as far as scanning information in to the library.

The "Add Source" item in the menus allows you to add a source (to anywhere via smb, xbms, upnp etc.)

Also: Please give details of how it crashed - "It crashed" isn't particularly useful.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hi Jarome,

jarome Wrote:1) There seems no way of creating a library from my directory structure of mp3 files. And also, they are on a different disk, and it is impossible to navigate to a disk in many of the menus. I hate iTunes. Why should I have to use it to import a library rather than dirctly import mp3 files?
It is possible to import your entire directory tree (and multiple directory trees) into the XBMC Library. Also, it is not required to use iTunes at all. The iTunes option is merely a way for people who have already been using iTunes for organizing their music to access it inside XBMC.

To access your different disks in XBMC look under the /Volumes entry. You should see all your disks there and you should be able to access you mp3 collection from there.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

Still stuck. Pressing "C" does nothing at all. I got into the mediastream skin, and in it the mouse does not work, and I cannot get out of it. Only the arrow keys seem to work.
Progress. I got the HD skin back, and got the "C" to work after I did /Volumes and navigated to my music folder. But I still cannopt get any sound out the digital outpur on my MacPro, so it is all for naught.
What audio options do you have in audio hardware settings? Have you tried the various ones? Unfortunately I don't have an optical cable so I can't try myself atm.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

It keeps crashing scanning my music files.
Then please produce a debug log so we can see what the issue is. I highly recommend scanning with the "grab info for artists and albums" options turned off. You can always query the additional info from the web at a later date.

Cheers
Jonathan

althekiller Wrote:Did you bother to even look into these "problems" before drawing your conclusions?

1a. Open context menu on folder "Scan to Library". Complex, right?
1b. Did you try adding a new source to said "different disk"?
2. Gonna have to wait for davilla on that probably.
3. Assuming you do 1b you should be able to choose that dir to rip to.
4. music > add source > browse. choose cdrom. open context menu on said new source, "Rip Tracks".
5. Try one of the MANY third party skins then.

Since we have clearly offended you with our FIRST BETA release of this atrocious application, I'm going to offer you a refund for the full retail price XBMC.

LOL...another classic althekiller comment.
Wink 
@jarome, the reason why exactly being helped in a helpful and friendly 'tone' is because of your way of reporting these 'issues', and also your choice of topic summery "Not very useful for me" which does at least to me come out as a bit rude, ...althekiller might take it 'a little' overboard with the sarcasm as a reply to that rudeness (and might deserve a slap on the wrist for that) but you have to understand that it does help to be nice when you are asking for something for free, here are some helpful tips on that by the way:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Forum_F...art_way.3F
Quote:How do I ask a question in a smart way?

If you are asked to ask a question in a smart way then you should refer to the article on the web called How To Ask Questions The Smart Way, it contains some very wise words to follow in online community forums if you would not like to ignored or treated as a stupid person. This article on "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way" covers areas like:

* When You Ask
o Use meaningful, specific subject headers
o Make it easy to reply
o Write in clear, grammatical, correctly-spelled language
o Send questions in accessible, standard formats
o Be precise and informative about your problem
o Don't claim that you have found a bug
o Grovelling is not a substitute for doing your homework
o Describe the problem's symptoms, not your guesses
o Describe your problem's symptoms in chronological order
o Describe the goal, not the step
o Don't ask people to reply by private e-mail
o Be explicit about your question
o Don't flag your question as "Urgent", even if it is for you
o Courtesy never hurts, and sometimes helps
o Follow up with a brief note on the solution
* How To Interpret Answers
o RTFM and STFW: How To Tell You've Seriously Screwed Up
o If you don't understand...
o Dealing with rudeness
* On Not Reacting Like A Loser
* Questions Not To Ask
o Q: Where can I find program or resource X?
o Q: How can I use X to do Y?
o Q: How can I configure my shell prompt?
o Q: Can I convert an AcmeCorp document into a TeX file using the Bass-o-matic file converter?
o Q: My {program, configuration, SQL statement} doesn't work
o Q: My program doesn't work. I think system facility X is broken.
o Q: I'm having problems installing Linux or X. Can you help?
* Good and Bad Questions
* If You Can't Get An Answer
* How To Answer Questions in a Helpful Way

Think about it, how are we suppose to help you when you are not helping yourself by providing very poor descriptions of your problems like "It crashed too" "It keeps crashing scanning my music files", comments like those does not help us at all in narrowing down you problems.

Now, please start by providing a debug log from XBMC (enable debugging in XBMC settings, replicate your problem so that it will show up in the log, then upload the log to pastebin.com and post the URL here) http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Bug_Report

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Not very useful for me0