Win v19- Where does KODI get music genres from
Question 
I am using KODI v19 (I think) on a Win 8.1 Acer desktop.  I decided to start organizing my music.

When I filtered for the genre "Other", Styx - Mr. Roboto (Classics Vol. 15) shows up.  (All other songs from that CD show "Rock" as genre in KODI & Win Explorer file properties)

Using Windows Explorer, when I look at the file properties for that song, the genre is "Rock"!!!  Why would KODI list "Other" for a genre...different from the one it is assigned?

PS:  another issue I am having is (more of a Windows issue, but if someone wants to chime in, I'll listen):
  • When working on my Win 8.1 desktop, I can not modify song file's properties (genre, title, artist, album, etc) in Windows Explorer...
  • ...but if I use my Win 10 HP Spectre (slate knockoff), I can modify song file properties on my desktop over the network.
  • GRRRR!!!
  • WTF!!!
  • FWIW, most of my music was transferred to my Win 8.1 desktop from an Android 5.1 (I think) Samsung Galaxy phone using AirDroid to transfer in batches over Wi-Fi.  Each batch would end up in a ZIP file I would extract.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

CTB
(2023-10-05, 02:11)CTBarbarin Wrote:
  • When working on my Win 8.1 desktop, I can not modify song file's properties (genre, title, artist, album, etc) in Windows Explorer...
Use MusicBrainz Picard which will correctly tag your music... https://picard.musicbrainz.org/
You certainly don't want to be using a manual process which opens you up to errors, plus Kodi works better with MusicBrainz tags.

(2023-10-05, 02:11)CTBarbarin Wrote: When I filtered for the genre "Other", Styx - Mr. Roboto (Classics Vol. 15) shows up.  (All other songs from that CD show "Rock" as genre in KODI & Win Explorer file properties)
The genre comes from the the embedded tags in the song file.
I think that if you also run the scraper, that is overwritten by the scraped genre.
Did you run the scraper - "Additional Information" - option?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Agree that using a proper tagging program is important for consistent results.

Kodi actually has 3 genre entries for music:  song, album, and artist

Song genre is pulled from metadata tags.

Album genre is scraped from metadata scraper or album.nfo file.  If no data from these sources, it is derived from song genre (not exactly sure the exact process).  Note that Kodi has an internal priority process to determine which songs belong to an album.  Tag issues can result in songs being misapplied.  Also Kodi has an internal process to determine if an album is a "compilation" -- that might affect album genre (not sure).

Artist genre is scraped from metadata scraper or artist.nfo file.  Has no relation to song or album genre.

There is a setting to be aware of in media/music -- prefer online information.  That setting can override tags (doesn't change the tag, just what is stored in Kodi library)  Not sure if that will override song genre (I don't ever use that setting).

In Kodi library nodes/smart playlist, music "genre" refers to song genre.  Artists/albums will be added to the node if any one song from the artist or album matches the genre rule.  TBH, I'm not sure if it is possible to create a virtual path rule (for custom node or smart playlist) for album or artist genre (my guess is no).

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
v19- Where does KODI get music genres from0