Subtitles on Kodi Matrix stop rendering
Hello all,

Hoping someone can help point me in the right direction as to whether this is something solvable.

In my setup I remove video advertisements via ffmpeg via these basic steps:

1) Export metadata, subtitles, thumbnail
2) Detect ad ranges via comskip or via scanning for advertisement-titled chapters
3) Export each segment with the subtitles, then pad each segment to ensure audio synchronization
4) Concat the segments
5) Re-embed metadata / thumbnail if needed

What I've noticed is that most of the time during segment transitions between those segments the subtitles stop rendering on my media box (Kodi 19.4 Matrix on a Raspberry Pi 4 on RPiOS Lite Bullseye 64-bit). The subtitle slider is still on, indicating that the feature is still enabled, but if I fast forward / rewind a bit or stop / resume the subtitles start rendering again. It's not a huge deal but somewhat annoying.

Not sure if this is known or not --- would love to collect diagnostics if it's not if someone can help me figure out what's going on. At first, I thought it might be related to keeping remnants of the chapters or using an older version of ffmpeg, but neither of those appears to have helped.

Because I was curious I reverted to an older SD image, running Kodi 18.7 Leia on the same RPi 4, but on top of RPiOS Lite Buster 32-bit, and these same files seem to work fine. So it appears specific to Matrix and/or the OS. I'm not really convinced that this is RPi specific but this still seems to be the most appropriate place for an inquiry like this --- if not I can move / repost.

Through reading it appears that the subtitle system was revamped for Kodi 20 Nexus, but doesn't appear to be install-able / supported via apt-get on Bullseye, so I'll have to wait until Bookworm stabilizes a bit before giving that a try and that might be awhile.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might be able to provide (and thanks for an amazing product team Kodi)!
(2023-10-06, 18:34)ParadoxGBB Wrote: so I'll have to wait until Bookworm stabilizes

1. bookworm has been 'stable' since july - https://www.debian.org/releases/bookworm
  2. debian maintains its own versions
  3. you made the correct assessment that you should compare to Nexus
  4. providing a Debug Log may or may not show anything but if it did then it would be back to 3. because matrix will not receive feature updates
(2023-10-06, 18:34)ParadoxGBB Wrote: I'm not really convinced that this is RPi specific but this still seems to be the most appropriate place for an inquiry like this --- if not I can move / repost.
Can you test this on another platform (e.g. windows or linux on a PC)?
(2023-10-06, 19:58)popcornmix Wrote:
(2023-10-06, 18:34)ParadoxGBB Wrote: I'm not really convinced that this is RPi specific but this still seems to be the most appropriate place for an inquiry like this --- if not I can move / repost.
Can you test this on another platform (e.g. windows or linux on a PC)?
Thanks for the help. Pretty sure at the moment we're not talking about a feature update.

A few things I forgot to include in my initial post:

1) I also tested via VNC on my Windows rig and it did not reproduce
2) I scanned for package updates on my Rpi4 to make sure everything was up to date. Full disclosure is that this is a customized RetroPie install on top of bullseye, but as far as kodi is concerned this should be a simple apt-get install. They might have a few atypical package versions thrown in there for things like SDL2 though.

Updates:

1) I installed 19.4 Matrix on my Windows machine and it does not reproduce. So this indicates maybe a problem with my OS dependencies or configuration maybe.
2) I enabled debug logging and video component logging and hit play when paused between transitions. The only thing that jumped out was:

2023-10-06 12:27:22.865 T:81310   DEBUG <general>: ffmpeg[0x55a21a60b0X]: [image2] Custom AVIOContext makes no sense and will be ignored with AVFMT_NOFILE format.
2023-10-06 12:27:22.873 T:81307   DEBUG <general>: ffmpeg[0x55a125cfc0X]: [swscaler] No accelerated colorspace conversion found from yuv420p to bgra.

Full log:

https://paste.kodi.tv/gupasoduvo.kodi

I cut / pasted my Kodi configuration from my Leia image so perhaps that's causing a problem? Besides that nothing else including add-ons should be too controversial I should think.

Regarding Bookworm, given the number of quirks I've been chasing down over Bullseye I won't be upgrading anytime soon --- probably not until there's another board revision of the Pi 5.

Thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles on Kodi Matrix stop rendering0