Kodi doesn't restrict Windows to turn on the screen saver and use the night light
Question 
Hello, I am using the latest Kodi version 20.2 and what is really annoying is that it doesn't restrict the system to use Windows screen saver and night light feature.

As Kodi has its own built-in screen saver (Dim) I would like it to use it instead of my Windows's one. Besides, I don't need a night light option to be used with Kodi just like with any other full screen program like a game. Windows usually eliminates night light with any game, or full screen app, but not with Kodi. When I use f.lux instead of Windows night light it recognizes Kodi as full screen app correctly and switches the blue filter off, but I would like to use a Windows built-in feature instead of f.lux.

Is there a way I may solve both of my problems? Any help is highly appreciated!
Your either going to have to disable those features on the system you run Kodi on, or alternatively create a script / batch command file (or files) to enable / disable these features upon kodi start (i.e: a triggered event in task scheduler) and then have an alternate script that re-enables those features on Kodi exit. However your probably going to want said script to run also upon system startup, especially if you use the Kodi scheduled shutdown feature, as there won't be enough time for task scheduler to re-enable the disabled features prior to kodi (and the host system) going to shutdown mode.

I don't have the time or inclination to post a detailed tutorial on how to go about setting this up. Somebody else might jump in here. If not, google is your friend in this regard.

Dan / Gib.
Never used the Windows night light feature but from what you wrote maybe it reacts to full screen exclusive mode, meaning turning the option "Use fullscreen windows" off in Kodi.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks for your response, guys! The thing is that I've been using night light since Windows 10 and it usually never applied to full screen apps like games, or if you watch YouTube in full screen, or some movie player also in full screen, so the colors are not changed for such media content. The same is for screen saver, usually all games disable the system's ability to turn on the screen saver and even go into sleep mode, that's why I thought the same should do Kodi (at least for screen saver as its got its own one, but going to sleep is a good thing I suppose and better should be enabled). So, I just thought if I am only one having these issues, or this is a normal Kodi's behavior? Thanks!
I guess it depends on whether your running 'True Fullscreen' or 'Fake FullScreen'.

If you use 'True FullScreen', Windows *should* defer screensaver activity to Kodi. If Your using 'Fake FullScreen' (i.e: Borderless fullscreen window), then it won't. The trouble with 'True FullScreen' is you won't be able to switch apps or invoke the start menu / taskbar without fully minimising Kodi or 'ALT-Tabbing' to the desktop / another background app, first. True FullScreen can also cause problems when used with Remote Control apps like AnyDesk, TeamViewer, and Microsoft's own Remote Desktop App, whereby all you see from the remote PC is a black screen.

In the modern era of LCD tech, screensavers are, essentially, obsolete. They were invented to prevent burn-in / afterimage effect on traditional CRT (and later, plasma) based displays. LCD / LED screens worth their salt, won't be affected by this, so like I said, If you want the simplest option, just disable the Windows screensaver, and set one in Kodi itself.

Dan / Gib.
I am using the screensaver (blank screen) not for saving my display, of course, but for saving some battery charge of my notebook. But frankly speaking, screensaver is the least that makes me inconvenience. The more is that night light doesn't switch to off, though as I've mentioned I've found a solution to using the third party "f.lux" app for night light (switched off the Windows built-in feature) that does recognize Kodi as a full screen app and disables night light when its working. Its really strange that Windows doesn't do the same thing whereas the third party app does even though Kodi uses as you call it 'Fake Full Screen'.
Hey, guys, I am just checking to clarify if I may expect the default Windows's Nigh Light to be disabled when running Kodi in future, or not? As I mentioned, I had to start using a third party app for night light but I wish to be able to switch back to Windows's default Night Light in Settings again and have no night light when running Kodi just like with any game...
I have this enabled on my laptop, which resides in my bedroom, sat on a small bedside-table, and pretty much only gets used for Kodi. I'm pretty sure Night-Light mode affects all video output, irrespective of the app that happens to be running at the time.

This is supposition on my part as I've not really looked into it, but I'd guess that Windows is making changes to the default colour profile to enable It's 'Night-Light' feature, which means it's applied globally, and not just to Windows (non-full-screen) desktop-apps.

Dan / Gib.
There is a WinRT API that probably disables the night light feature, but Kodi Windows is a Win32 application and I haven't found a Win32 API.
The UWP version could use that API but it has many restrictions compared with the Win32 version.

If you're aware of other open source applications that disable the night light it would be worth taking a look at their code. Or if you find the Win32 API.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2024-04-07, 00:12)CrystalP Wrote: There is a WinRT API that probably disables the night light feature, but Kodi Windows is a Win32 application and I haven't found a Win32 API.
The UWP version could use that API but it has many restrictions compared with the Win32 version.

If you're aware of other open source applications that disable the night light it would be worth taking a look at their code. Or if you find the Win32 API.

"f.lux" program disables the night light with Kodi as I mentioned above. Though it uses its own night light, so you need to disable the Windows's as they will interfere with each other. And f.lux is a free software, but I'm not sure if its open source, so I hope that will help you in finding the solution.
(2024-04-06, 21:57)gibxxi Wrote: I have this enabled on my laptop, which resides in my bedroom, sat on a small bedside-table, and pretty much only gets used for Kodi. I'm pretty sure Night-Light mode affects all video output, irrespective of the app that happens to be running at the time.

This is supposition on my part as I've not really looked into it, but I'd guess that Windows is making changes to the default colour profile to enable It's 'Night-Light' feature, which means it's applied globally, and not just to Windows (non-full-screen) desktop-apps.

Dan / Gib.
Sorry, Dan, but you are wrong as if you run any game from Steam, or stand alone it is running without night light even when the night light was on before launching a game. When you exit a game, the nigh light turns back on as it was before.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi doesn't restrict Windows to turn on the screen saver and use the night light0