The Vero 'V'
Any thoughts on the new Vero ?  I'd particularly like to get any thoughts on how this compares to the Homatics 4K Plus CoreElec box? Thanks

https://osmc.tv/2023/11/vero-v-is-here/

Specs:
Quad Core 2Ghz ARM 64-bit processor (S905X4-O)
4GB DDR4 RAM and 32GB eMMC storage [1]
Built in 802.11 ac/n/g/b WiFi with Bluetooth 4.0
Built-in IR and RF receivers
2x USB 2.0 ports, 1x internal, 1x external
1x USB 3.0 port (0.9A output)
micro SD card slot
3.5mm analogue audio output
Optical (SPDIF) audio output
HDMI 2.1 with CEC (control your Vero V with your TV remote)
Dynamic Refresh Rate adjustment (with 23.976/24p support)
Gigabit Ethernet
4K, H265/VP9/AV1, HDR10, HDR10+ and HLG ready
Dimensions: 11.5cm x 11.5cm x 2cm
Weight: 178 grams
OSMC Vero 4K, Intel NUC Celeron 847, ODroid N2+, Raspberry Pi3 LibreELEC. Amazon Fire TV
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
Regarding your interest in comparing it to Homatics 4K Plus, I guess one big difference is that with Vero V there is no hope for direct Dolby Vision support. At the most they're going to introduce tonemapping allowing users to playback DV content without wrong colors. But that's it.
While I completely understand the reasoning behind the decision, it's still one sore point.

On the other hand, Vero's support probably ranks at the very, very top among all options. So it's something you can buy with confidence, if the specs meet your needs.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2023-11-06, 15:22)ashlar Wrote: Regarding your interest in comparing it to Homatics 4K Plus, I guess one big difference is that with Vero V there is no hope for direct Dolby Vision support. At the most they're going to introduce tonemapping allowing users to playback DV content without wrong colors. But that's it.
While I completely understand the reasoning behind the decision, it's still one sore point.

On the other hand, Vero's support probably ranks at the very, very top among all options. So it's something you can buy with confidence, if the specs meet your needs.

Thanks. I currently use an Odroid N2+ but have had a Vero 4K in the past. The support from Sam is very good. I just felt it was a bit underpowered for my needs.

With CoreElec on N2+ no longer supported, I'm in the market for something else. I probably only require Dolby Vision once every 3 or 4 months. But it seems to be becoming more and more popular so that looks likely to change. I could live with the tone mapping feature for now. I guess I have a decision to make.

The processors in the V and the Homatics look very similar to my untrained eye.
OSMC Vero 4K, Intel NUC Celeron 847, ODroid N2+, Raspberry Pi3 LibreELEC. Amazon Fire TV
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
(2023-11-06, 15:30)smallclone Wrote:
(2023-11-06, 15:22)ashlar Wrote: Regarding your interest in comparing it to Homatics 4K Plus, I guess one big difference is that with Vero V there is no hope for direct Dolby Vision support. At the most they're going to introduce tonemapping allowing users to playback DV content without wrong colors. But that's it.

Thanks. I currently use an Odroid N2+ but have had a Vero 4K in the past. The support from Sam is very good. I just felt it was a bit underpowered for my needs.

With CoreElec on N2+ no longer supported, I'm in the market for something else. I probably only require Dolby Vision once every 3 or 4 months. But it seems to be becoming more and more popular so that looks likely to change. I could live with the tone mapping feature for now. I guess I have a decision to make.

Corelec is dropping support for the odroid N2+? Thats sad to hear. Link to source? I think i'll just switch to Raspberry pi and make sure all my videos are x.265.
(2023-11-06, 21:38)calev Wrote:
(2023-11-06, 15:30)smallclone Wrote:

Corelec is dropping support for the odroid N2+? Thats sad to hear. Link to source? I think i'll just switch to Raspberry pi and make sure all my videos are x.265.
I haven't had an update in about a year now

https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/end-of-...c-20/20522
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
Huh I get regular nightly updates on my (older) N2, which is very happy running Kodi 21 beta1, which is the latest official Kodi nightly.
Why you say that CE team is dropping support for Odroid N2 is obvious, since it's a complete lie.
(2023-11-06, 23:58)Sholander Wrote: Huh I get regular nightly updates on my (older) N2, which is very happy running Kodi 21 beta1, which is the latest official Kodi nightly.
Why you say that CE team is dropping support for Odroid N2 is obvious, since it's a complete lie.

How do I get updates on my N2+  ? Why have they stopped?
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
CoreElec is JeOS for running Kodi, you get CE update only when Kodi gets updated. Since Kodi 20 stoped development on present version 20.2 you cannot get any new CE update. It's the same for any device, not only for N2. Which of course does not mean that development of N2 is finished.
There are normal updates, beta updates and also nightly updates to CE 20 Nexus and 21 Omega.  I too have found the automatic don't work from me on all my CE device so I need to do manual pulls.  If you want support on that I suggest the CE forum as that is not Kodi functionality.

More on topic of Vero V vs the CE DV S9050X4-K SEI devices you also need to decide if you need Android support for apps and licensed Widevine L1.    I like the larger B25 style remote that I got with my Rocktek G2 since I use the number keys a lot with PVR but even the B21 remote has Android voice control.  For Americans the price of the Rocktek is much lower if you find it on sale for $110 with free shipping which happens often.   This S904X4 SoC is not particularly fast so if speed is a big factor, maybe neither box is for you.

Martin
(2023-11-07, 15:26)emveepee Wrote: There are normal updates, beta updates and also nightly updates to CE 20 Nexus and 21 Omega.  I too have found the automatic don't work from me on all my CE device so I need to do manual pulls.  If you want support on that I suggest the CE forum as that is not Kodi functionality.

Martin

Thank you for a reasoned response.

I had auto updates every 6 weeks or so, then they stopped about a year ago.
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
(2023-11-06, 15:17)smallclone Wrote: Any thoughts on the new Vero ?  I'd particularly like to get any thoughts on how this compares to the Homatics 4K Plus CoreElec box? Thanks

I replaced 3 of my Vero 4K+ unit with Vero Vs and am very happy with them.  Dolby Vision is not a thing for me.  I am not as enthused about paying licensing costs to them, as in the past.  IMHO they also broke the new OTA standard with moving the sound to AC-4, which also requires licensing. 

So, aside from lack of DV support, I am please with the device.  Here's a link to a previous message where I measured performance using my addon.  This test is a good general performance test of networking, CPU, memory and storage access.  I've also had no problem streaming John Wick 2 4K UHD over wireless and downscaling to 1080P using the Vero V.  That is a very stressful test.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Could someone tell me what the Vero V can do with it's S905X4 for 150$ that a Chinese S905X4 box with corelec for 65$ from amazon can't do? Seems to support most of the same things. Even comes with 64 gigs instead of 32 for memory.

I admit that the vero looks much cooler. But seems to do the same things.
(2023-11-07, 19:14)calev Wrote: Could someone tell me what the Vero V can do with it's S905X4 for 150$ that a Chinese S905X4 box with corelec for 65$ from amazon can't do? Seems to support most of the same things. Even comes with 64 gigs instead of 32 for memory.

I admit that the vero looks much cooler. But seems to do the same things.

Sam provides excellent support for his products and continues to develop OSMC, putting time into solving some of the more difficult issues. The Vero RF remote is also excellent, and I'm far happier that he'll have done some due diligence on safe power supplies etc. than a no-name Amazon device.  I've not come close to filling up 32GB of flash storage on my Kodi boxes.

Full disclosure - I have a Vero V - and it's a very nicely engineered box.
(2023-11-08, 01:03)noggin Wrote: Sam provides excellent support for his products and continues to develop OSMC, putting time into solving some of the more difficult issues.

https://discourse.coreelec.org/
(2023-11-08, 01:03)noggin Wrote: The Vero RF remote is also excellent

https://www.pishop.us/product/osmc-remote-control-new/
(2023-11-08, 01:03)noggin Wrote: and I'm far happier that he'll have done some due diligence on safe power supplies etc. than a no-name Amazon device.

never seen a power supply blow up personally, usually due to power surges though
(2023-11-08, 01:03)noggin Wrote:  I've not come close to filling up 32GB of flash storage on my Kodi boxes.

surely this isn't a reason to buy the Vero V since an sdcard can be purchased and installed in anything (and usually is with CoreELEC)

not trying to poke holes but the question was what does it have that CoreELEC does not
I had several devices ( from Xbox with xmbc to popcorn hour, dune, android box , Intel box with libreelec, firestick etc)

But in 2023 I don't get why to pay for a device that is limited in 1080p for stream service

If I want a pure Kodi box I can pay less for a libreeelc Corelec solution

Mid solution firestick new gen

Or Homatics cost egual and is netflix certified

(Yes software is still buggy but with android 12 Afr now works at least for netflix)

What are the pros of Vero devices ? Audio and video quality ? Post processing ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The Vero 'V'0