The Vero 'V'
I like when someone asks the question of what do they get over devices because it makes for an easy answer and a little self promotion never hurts. OSMC is obviously a popular media center distribution and some users alone prefer OSMC because it is an expansive system supporting apt-get and a full system environment. This allows users to fully utilise the capabilities of the device if they wish to or keep things simple and never touch the command line interface.

For those that like OSMC, Vero provides them with guaranteed support commitments. We introduced the Vero 4K platform based on S905X in early 2017. We promised a minimum of five years of updates, but we've extended this recently (link). CE deprecated the S905X platform some time ago and marked it end of life, no longer providing updates. They can do this because you didn't buy the hardware from them and no support guarantees were made. The Vero 4K and 4K + can still play 4K HEVC, output HDR10/10+, HLG and Frame Packed 3D. The six year old device will still serve many customers for many more years to come. We don't like obsoleting devices unnecessarily and moving on to the next shiny thing. Some open source projects like doing that and are easily enticed by free hardware samples from various manufacturers.

We make the hardware and software so they are fine tuned for the device. This leads to a number of advantages. We have a direct relationship with the SoC manufacturer (AMLogic) and can work with them to get issues fixed. We have engaged with their senior team in the past to get things done. This also allowed us to design a customised SoC for Vero (it is not an off the shelf AMLogic SoC) and was a huge step forward for us and we will be reaping the rewards of that from next year with Vero V. This allowed us to implement enhanced tonemapping with a special tonemapping engine running on secureOSMC's dedicated RISC-V core. We've also been able to implement features that other devices have struggled with, such as 3D MVC and we were the first to support multi-channel audio beyond a fixed layout (in the past 5.1 was output as 7.1 LPCM, which caused confusion for AV receivers). These changes were adapted by other projects later on.

The idea is to provide a device where everything you need is included that just works and is plug and play. Issues do come up though as they do with anything. But by paying us we have an obligation to help resolve your issues. Other open source projects do not have these same obligations. The Chinese company you buy that hardware from will provide limited support for the software they ship and little else. They are frequently chopping and changing parts (often second hand) in their devices using what they can get their hands on. This seems evidence in the CE forums where many people are buying what seems to be the same box on the outside but then having numerous compatibility issues with say WiFi and Bluetooth. Once you purchase an SBC for use with CE that uses genuine, high quality components, you will see that there is a significantly increased cost. 

So if you want something that is ready to run, has a hardware warranty (and doesn't use recycled parts), has guaranteed software update commitments, consistent quality in both hardware and software and a wealth of support channels and resources, then the Vero V might make sense. We answer every post and support request. We don’t pick the ones to reply to.

If you want a budget box to run CE and are happy not to have any guarantee of updates or support if the hardware is problematic, then go with CE. That’s not our target market. We also believe it's a false economy. If you purchased a Vero 4K on launch in February 2017, then your device will have cost you less than £1.65 a month. This is based on 60 months of ownership, with the device purchased at £99 where we promised 5 years of support, due to expire in February 2022. But the device is still supported and receiving updates today -- just like Vero V.
Sorry, it wasn't my intention to put your product or brand in a bad light (maybe I was too hasty in the previous post but only because I speak English badly I'll try Google Translate hoping I can make myself understood) In fact, I know, having frequented this forum for several years, that your products are very popular among Kodi users. my question was aimed at understanding why it is not possible to have a single product that satisfies all needs (Stream and Lan) This question arises because I myself own two hardwaew when I could have a single one - intel Nuc for libreeelec - firestick for stream apps.
knowing that your product's strong point is quality is an even greater reason for regret that your product is not suitable for my needs. I miss popcorn products with sigma chips precisely because of the good video quality. And the reason why I also stay away from Chinese boxes is the same as you indicated (poor software update like mecool etc)
(2023-11-08, 21:56)Roby77 Wrote: Sorry, it wasn't my intention to put your product or brand in a bad light (maybe I was too hasty in the previous post but only because I speak English badly I'll try Google Translate hoping I can make myself understood) In fact, I know, having frequented this forum for several years, that your products are very popular among Kodi users. my question was aimed at understanding why it is not possible to have a single product that satisfies all needs (Stream and Lan) This question arises because I myself own two garages when I could have a single one - intel Nuc for libreeelec - firestick for stream apps knowing that the product's strong point is quality is an even greater reason for regret that your product is not suitable for my needs. I miss popcorn products with sigma chips precisely because of the good video quality. And the reason why I also stay away from Chinese boxes is the same as you indicated
We are trying to change that (streaming).
We have Widevine L1 and HDCP2.2 licenses in Vero V and we have had some success with hardware accelerated Widevine L1 under Kodi on Linux. 

This would pave the way for accessing higher quality streams.
However Netflix also requires additional certifications and provisions an 'ESN' which is a special key for Netflix.

This can be spoofed and some users have done this before -- but how effective it is will remain to be seen

So the goal is to support a trusted video pathway (Widevine L1 and HDCP2.2) which can also be leveraged by add-ons that use InputStream.
We're careful with the development of this because we want something that is stable and doesn't break. It's not good to introduce something, the user buys on this premise and then we take that functionality away

These things don't happen overnight unfortunately.

Sam
Thank you Sam for your feedback
always great to see when Sam comes around, very good explanation

-----

for my own personal use, Vero is not my choice of device but has nothing to do with the product itself i am sure it is a fine product
it simply isn't currently suited to what i need at the present

no more reason than a Windows vs Mac vs Linux vs Android debate - all just a user preference and each have merit for what you use them for
Thanks Sam. That makes sense. I think for me i'm fine with the cheap Chinese box because I can test all the features when I get it and return it if the chip set is different. Corelec supports docker now so I don't need the full Debian install. I have a 45 $ box thats been running corelec for a year now playing 4k fine it's been great for my spare TV. I have had to reflash the emmc once. But if I build a kodi box for a gift this Christmas I think i'lll buy yours for the support.
Not a single YouTube video on the new Vero V 4k device??  Why?  I am interested.
The launch was on Monday. UK customers will be the first to get them, and those that ordered on Monday will be getting them today.

So I think it will be a while before reviews pop-up.

I tend not to send units to reviewers because I don’t want to influence public opinion. I do send them to reputable websites like AVForums if they request a unit.

You can read the review of a paying customer here: https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/osmc-vero-v-review/95494. This customer placed an order during the soft launch period.

I’m sure more will follow soon

Cheers

Sam
(2023-11-09, 00:21)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: The launch was on Monday. UK customers will be the first to get them, and those that ordered on Monday will be getting them today.

I tend not to send units to reviewers because I don’t want to influence public opinion. I do send them to reputable websites like AVForums if they request a unit.

You can read the review of a paying customer here: https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/osmc-vero-v-review/95494. This customer placed an order during the soft launch period.

Cheers

Sam

Thank you for the link.  The review was OK, but I would like to see the interface. Is it JUST a Kodi interface??  I can't seem to find a YouTube video on any of your products that covers all of the software and visuals..  Perhaps you can show me another link with a video of the operation of your boxes.
thanks.
I have an addiction to these boxes.
(2023-11-09, 00:46)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2023-11-09, 00:21)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: The launch was on Monday. UK customers will be the first to get them, and those that ordered on Monday will be getting them today.

Cheers

Sam

Thank you for the link.  The review was OK, but I would like to see the interface. Is it JUST a Kodi interface??  I can't seem to find a YouTube video on any of your products that covers all of the software and visuals..  Perhaps you can show me another link with a video of the operation of your boxes.
thanks.

There's the OSMC skin which you can see on our website at https://osmc.tv/wiki/general/the-osmc-skin/

This can be installed on any Kodi device from https://github.com/osmc/skin.osmc.

On first boot of an OSMC system you are prompted whether you want to use the OSMC skin or Kodi's default skin which is Estuary. You can of course switch to any compatible Kodi skin (we currently ship Kodi v20 Nexus). 

There are many videos showing OSMC on YouTube on Vero 4K / 4K + and Raspberry Pi. Just make sure you watch a recent one as the interface has been refreshed over time. The latest significant changes were documented here: https://osmc.tv/2021/08/the-osmc-skin-redesign-2/

Features like My OSMC (App Store; Network Settings; Updater etc) are also visible in these videos and at https://osmc.tv.
(2023-11-09, 01:58)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:
(2023-11-09, 00:46)clarkss12 Wrote:

Cheers

Sam

thanks.

There's the OSMC skin which you can see on our website at https://osmc.tv/wiki/general/the-osmc-skin/

This can be installed on any Kodi device from https://github.com/osmc/skin.osmc.

On first boot of an OSMC system you are prompted whether you want to use the OSMC skin or Kodi's default skin which is Estuary. You can of course switch to any compatible Kodi skin (we currently ship Kodi v20 Nexus). 

There are many videos showing OSMC on YouTube on Vero 4K / 4K + and Raspberry Pi. Just make sure you watch a recent one as the interface has been refreshed over time. The latest significant changes were documented here: https://osmc.tv/2021/08/the-osmc-skin-redesign-2/

Features like My OSMC (App Store; Network Settings; Updater etc) are also visible in these videos and at https://osmc.tv.

Thank you, that was what I was looking for.
Glad I could help. Any questions, give us a shout.
I just installed your OSMC onto my dune hd homatics box r 4k, just for a look see. Very impressive. I am thinking about purchasing one, just for testing purposes.

I have two or three dozen of these Android boxes, each one has a strong point and each one has a weak point.

I know there is no such thing as a holy Grail of these media players, but I enjoy the search.

Your website uses the European prices, and is not convert to the US dollar, but no big deal.

I will make my decision in a day or two whether to purchase one. Excited to see how it performs as a media player for my own media.

I have a lot of TV recordings and a lot of the old DVD rips, plus Blu-ray and now I'm acquiring a lot of the UHD Blu-ray rips.

I am aware that your box does not support the Dolby Vision, but my eyes really can't tell any difference anyway.
(2023-11-09, 02:46)clarkss12 Wrote: I just installed your OSMC onto my dune hd homatics box r 4k, just for a look see. Very impressive. I am thinking about purchasing one, just for testing purposes.

I have two or three dozen of these Android boxes, each one has a strong point and each one has a weak point.

I know there is no such thing as a holy Grail of these media players, but I enjoy the search.

Your website uses the European prices, and is not convert to the US dollar, but no big deal.

I will make my decision in a day or two whether to purchase one. Excited to see how it performs as a media player for my own media.

I have a lot of TV recordings and a lot of the old DVD rips, plus Blu-ray and now I'm acquiring a lot of the UHD Blu-ray rips.

I am aware that your box does not support the Dolby Vision, but my eyes really can't tell any difference anyway.

Our device is priced in British Pounds (GBP). 

But you can purchase from a US reseller such as https://www.pishop.us/product/vero-v/ if you prefer to shop locally. They are an official reseller and you won't pay a premium from ordering locally and may benefit from slightly faster delivery.
(2023-11-09, 02:46)clarkss12 Wrote: I just installed your OSMC onto my dune hd homatics box r 4k, just for a look see. Very impressive. I am thinking about purchasing one, just for testing purposes.
I know it works on RPi's but are you saying the Vero 5 image with their dtb.img worked?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The Vero 'V'0