Hardware recommendation
I’m looking for a dedicated device to run Kodi. Price is not the most important thing, but I want a device that ‘just works’ and that can handle a lot, as I have big external hard drives with thousands of video files (in a lot of different formats), including large 4K files and blu-ray remux rips etc (that I will attach directly). Previously I’ve tried the Kodi app on a Macbook, but would prefer to boot directly into Kodi instead of running the app on a computer. I also tested Kodi on a RPi4 last year and if I remember correctly, that booted directly into Kodi. Can I boot straight into Kodi on a small PC as well, or do you need to run Windows or Linux on a PC and then run the app kodi? Booting straight into Kodi on a small PC seems like it wold be the ideal solution as the Rpi4 seemed a bit underpowered (if I remember correctly). I also would prefer a headphone jack. Thanks!
A raspberry pi 4 does have a head phone jack.And you can get a nicer one with a hat.  You can always install librelec on just about any pc and boot straight into kodi.
(2023-11-27, 16:27)calev Wrote: A raspberry pi 4 does have a head phone jack.And you can get a nicer one with a hat.  You can always install librelec on just about any pc and boot straight into kodi.

Thanks. I think that was what I did last year when I tested on the Rpi4. Is there any reason other than cost to use a RPi4 instead of a small PC if I go the computer route? I'm looking at a Beelink SER5 MAX or similar and then installing librelec. But what about the available 'TV boxes', do they have less 'maintenance' etc? Also, what's a good remote control if I go the PC route?
For raspberry pi? No, maybe power usage. Android devices like a nvidia shield can do more things though. Like take full advantage of newer audio formats and higher end hdr stuff from dolby. While I don't care about that stuff and prefer the google free experience of librelec rather than android you might so it might be worth considering.
(2023-11-27, 17:02)calev Wrote: While I don't care about that stuff and prefer the google free experience of librelec rather than android you might so it might be worth considering.

If I go for a small PC and librelec, once Kodi is on there, will I ever have to use a mouse and keyboard or can I do everything with the remote control? Also, do you have any recommendations for a remote control?
You will never have to use a mouse and keyboard ever. I recommend a cheap Rc6 mce remote and receiver from eBay. Should be less than 20$. It will work out of the box and last forever.

If you want to spend a little more a programmable flirc USB adapter is another good IR option. Then you can use almost any remote.
last time i used a remote with LibreELEC it was a logitech harmony elite but i am considering a SoftBaton X1 the next time i do a LibreELEC/CoreELEC setup

something to consider, if you have any amount of equipment then you may want a really nice universal

also a lot of already in use remotes can be used via CEC but i don't find it reliable or comfortable to use

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware recommendation0