Need recommendation for 4k HDR10 box
Looking for a box with support for 4k HDR 10+, good upscaling, maybe android apps (not a requirement but positive), Atmos/dts master, frame switching from 24hz etc. Future proof for new codecs.
Vero V
https://osmc.tv/vero/
sure just name things... Intel PC intel.com Rolleyes

- or -

actually try to name features as to why something is a good option

dolby vision has to be android or an android box capable of running coreelec

out of android boxes i have tested
FireTV Cube Gen3 - everything works, audio passthrough DTS:X+Atmos, DV, HDR10+ but sucks at being an android box (with amazon's ads)
ShieldTV - passthrough apparently works for some but i haven't had it work, is very aged (2019) can be sluggish at times, had issues with Opus as well as AV1 (not even sure if it is supposed to work tbh) edit: pretty sure AFR is not available, never tested it
Rocktek G2 - sucks as an android device but works great as a coreelec device, everything passthrough works, DV, HDR10+, AFR as well as adaptive color and resolution, whatever those are called, my go to choice for being cheap and functional
Intel PC - works great for audio passthrough, limited HDR (and HDR10+) depending on setup+hardware, a newer PC will support most modern codecs but still some limitations around AV1

out of that, a PC might be the only one to be capable of 8K
Rocktek has other variants as it shares it's SEI internals with Homatics and Nokia

for the best playback device for the money, go with the rocktek or same internals with coreelec but be prepared to buy a remote as the one that came with mine sucks under coreelec
without android you might miss YouTube, hit or miss if the addon works and i have never had it work
wireless sucks on the Rocktek as well as most android devices so expect to go ethernet

as far as what i currently have running
i have the FireTV Gen3 up doing android things (streaming Disney+ and the like) as well as YouTube
Rocktek G2 doing native playback things from my home server, full 4K BluRay Remux up to 85Mbps video, Atmos+DTS:X audio
nvidia shield pro doing whatever it can on android until it annoys me or freezes up then i go back to the fire tv
everything controlled by a sofabaton x1
You could also save a few dollars and get a generic Amlogic S905X4 box from amazon and install corelec yourself. they are like 65$. I've done this and it works fine.
I have the 2019 Shield pro and it doesn't support HDR10+ (or AV1) so I would cross that one off the list.  It does the rest of your requirements though.
Kodi Omega (arm64) nightly, nVidia Shield Pro 2019 SE 9.1.1+Hotfix (Android 11), Samsung Q8FN, Synology DS1821+ DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 4
(2023-12-05, 20:16)calev Wrote: You could also save a few dollars and get a generic Amlogic S905X4 box from amazon and install corelec yourself. they are like 65$. I've done this and it works fine.

indeed thanks for reminding me, i also have here an HK1 Rbox ( B07FP4Z3FG ) from amazon which does run coreelec very well
i don't recall the specifics as it's been a couple months since i tested it but it is functional and super cheap
(2023-12-05, 20:16)calev Wrote: You could also save a few dollars and get a generic Amlogic S905X4 box from amazon and install corelec yourself. they are like 65$. I've done this and it works fine.

Know one with good cooling? I read it's a common issue.
(2023-12-05, 21:53)snyft Wrote:

it's only a common issue on Rockchip (RK*) CPU devices ... not amlogic

https://www.google.com/search?q=rockchip+overheating
(2023-12-05, 21:53)snyft Wrote:

The TOX3 is the only Amlogic S905X4 box that I have found with decent cooling.
That one looks pretty good too. The rest of them are all like fake gold plated and are pretty much as ugly as you could get.
(2023-12-06, 00:28)calev Wrote: That one looks pretty good too. The rest of them are all like fake gold plated and are pretty much as ugly as you could get.

For a Kodi ONLY solution withOUT Dolby Vision, and for the price it can't be beat, when using CoreELEC internally.  Of course it can be dual booted also.  Slimbox has some great ROMs for that box also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUbVbF-6-NQ
Yeah they really are a great deal. Especially during the pandemic when you couldn't get a rpi. People were spending 250$ for a used rpi 4 when you could get a amlogic device that would perform better for 60$.

I do prefer rpi's though overall when you have msrp. Just for the re usability, support and how long they've last. I've never had one die. av1 would be nice but realistically all my content is h.264/5 anyways
(2023-12-05, 19:07)Temujin Wrote: Vero V

(2023-12-05, 19:36)izprtxqkft Wrote: sure just name things... Intel PC intel.com Rolleyes

- or -

Or sometimes a name is all you need. And that should tell you something.
(2023-12-10, 03:50)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:

(2023-12-05, 19:36)izprtxqkft Wrote: sure just name things... Intel PC intel.com Rolleyes

- or -

right, like Rumpelstiltskin where the name gives you power, i get it Wink

usually though i like to know "why" something is better, like a cpu has more cores so it's better, ddr5 is better than 4 because it has a faster clock, 4k is better than 1080p because you get more detail, HDR is better than SDR because you get better color range
... etc.

i also don't think starbucks makes better coffee just because people with a stylish beard that wear red doc martens with flannel say it is, so to be clear it's nothing to do with the subject matter
(2023-12-10, 04:14)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2023-12-10, 03:50)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:

- or -

right, like Rumpelstiltskin where the name gives you power, i get it Wink

usually though i like to know "why" something is better, like a cpu has more cores so it's better, ddr5 is better than 4 because it has a faster clock, 4k is better than 1080p because you get more detail, HDR is better than SDR because you get better color range
... etc.

i also don't think starbucks makes better coffee just because people with a stylish beard that wear red doc martens with flannel say it is, so to be clear it's nothing to do with the subject matter

I don't disagree -- but the product page should make that clear and the user did provide that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need recommendation for 4k HDR10 box0