Req How do folks sort their local (NAS) media? / Is their a way 'archive' shows?
How do folks sort/organize their local media?

I am new to Kodi (running a Dell Optiplex 7020 with W11 / Kodi 20.2 w/Estuary MOD v2 Nexus skin), and got it going relatively quick . It's amazing, and was able to phase out my Windows 7 based Media Center (w/Ceton tuner and cable card and liveTC) in just a few days till the family accepted the PBS and Pluto and Plex livestreams.

WMC basically does not show any meta data, and you effectively browse the filesystem for anything what you would like to see. Move that out of the way, and it's gone from WMC as well

Kodi offers the amazing 'Movies' and 'TV Shows' views, which is great! I've been looking for a way to partition my media though, and have now laid it out in many sources. e.g. c\shows, c\showskids, c\movies, c\movieskids.

Since I don't want the kids to see the adult stuff, the easiest way I found is to just create a new profile. I have a kids profile and that only has the kids stuff. But even in the kids section, I'd like to be able to filter out stuff. E.g, they are now watching many Xmas related contents. Come January though, I'd like to 'disable' those shows till next year. I suppose I can move it on the filesystem and then clean the library, and then reimport it next year, but that seems tedious.

I guess I'd like to have a few more top level 'TV Shows' entries, if anything just 2: 'Active TV shows' and 'Archived TV shows'. Moving into the Active TV Shows would only show those shows and not the archived ones.

I messed with Library node editor to create filters and that works till some extend, but hitting the main TV Shows or Movies will show the complete list and I don't want to see archived stuff.

Anyone have any suggestions to try?

TL;DR How do you partition your meda? Looking for a way to only see 'Active' Movies and Shows, while having 'Archived' Movies and Show available with a click.
use multi path sources

put your shows in 2 folders, tvshows and archivedtvshows, add 1 source to kodi with both paths, when you want to remove archived just remove the path and clean library, when you want it back just add it and scrape
(2023-12-18, 03:58)izprtxqkft Wrote: put your shows in 2 folders, tvshows and archivedtvshows, add 1 source to kodi with both paths, when you want to remove archived just remove the path and clean library, when you want it back just add it and scrape
Yep, aware of this route, it seems cumbersome. I'd still like to keep everything in my library but not 'clutter' my main TV Shows and Movie sections.

I have been reading through posts, and it seems like a lot of people struggle with media partition. As soon as something is added as a Movie, it will automatically show up in the list. If you have 5 sources, with 1 movie each, then Kodi will effectively mush them together into that one menu item called Movies. Ideally looking for a way to have another menu item with a subsection of the media with the same look and feel.
Since you are using nodes I use this condition to make my Christmas Node available from Nov 1 to Dec 31 each year.
visible="System.Date(11-01,12-31)"
(2023-12-18, 04:05)napster Wrote: Yep, aware of this route, it seems cumbersome
Handling it this way is pretty quick if you have exported to separate files. Removing from the library is just a matter of changing content, no media, no scraper, no scanning. 

You're going with a stock set-up which is geared for a simple installation against micro managing. Using a 'custom' front end skin set-up based on nodes & sources; you could eliminate all global calls and choose nodes by path (specify no scanning/scraper/nothing in the source), favourite or sub menu xmas source folder links. Another work-round would be this add-on which would allow for selection of named-folders to be added to the interface via favourites. The issue then becomes global features like recently added, it is still going to mush these together unless you alter these .xml files (hint).

I've quite a selection of old videos (TV shows, misc videos etc), I keep external storage for these and access as sources only with no scanning or scrape and as long as there is art this listing shows up, I can access via file mode inside nodes although they are no longer in the library, at any given time I can change the attributes and scan them back in.

ImageTop image of nodes, sources at the bottom

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do folks sort their local (NAS) media? / Is their a way 'archive' shows?0