Copy profile from another PC
Hi All,
    i have purchased a new PC and want to copy the existing Kodi profile rather that setting everything up from scratch.

I copies the Kodi directory (%appdata% ... C:\Users\Tony\AppData\Roaming\Kodi) to a USB drive and overwrote the directory on the new computer.

I restarted the computer but the configuration from the old computer doesn't exist on the new computer. I can re-setup everything from scratch but wanted to try to avoid that given that everything says I don't need to by copying over the appdata directory.

Any suggestions on what I might be missing here?

Thanks,
Tony
Their are several backup/restore utilities and/or addons that automate some of what you are trying to accomplish which would probably be a better approach if you are not familiar with exactly how Kodi works. If you want to try a manual restore you need to do things in a particular sequence and some things you have to install first. At a minimum once you install from scratch you need to start Kodi for the first time, select a language, and create your user profile. Then you need to switch to that user profile, stop and restart Kodi and ensure you are using your user profile. Then stop again and copy your files. Note that not all the files from the Userdata/profiles/USER directory need to or should be copied.
kodi backup addon in the kodi repo works

which user profile are you referring to wags1? kodi or windows? it's unlikely the user has more than one on either

as far as telling someone over the internet how to locate files on their own computer, i don't have that skill
Since you are on Windows, an option is to run in portable mode.  Portable_mode (wiki)
After first run in portable mode, copy your profile into "portable_data" which will be created in your Kodi install folder tree. Note when copying, "addons" folder, "userdata" folder, etc should be directly under the "portable_data" folder. Your kodi.log file will also be created there.  You should overwrite any files/folders created in "portable_data" prior to copying, or just delete them all then copy.

Note that if your new Kodi install is a different version (like Omega Beta 2) after copying and then staring Kodi you might get a database migration.

This assumes all your sources and other file references are in identical paths as in the previous install; any path differences will cause problems.

scott s.
Hi izprtxqkft .
    Thank you very much about your post about the backup add on.

It worked perfectly and I had to do is change the Skin to make it useable again!

Much appreciated.

Tony

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Copy profile from another PC0