Problems booting XBMC live from USB
Hi

As a long time XBMC on XBOX user, I have been following with interest the XBMC live development for use on a standalone PC. I downloaded the iso, and used it from CD no problems. I then installed it onto USB, and have had problems getting this to boot. My USB drive is listed as /dev/sdf, as I have a HD, DVD (on IDE) and a media card reader with 4 slots on it.

When booting from USB, I get the menu for booting with various graphics drivers, and I select the appropriate one. The screen then looks like it's about to boot, then goes blank. Using the 'safe' boot prompt, the source of this problem appears to be my media card reader, as it finds a removable device /dev/sdb1, but then is unable to boot from it, because it is empty - the error message is '/dev/sdb1 does not contain a rootfs'. When I disconnect the media reader, the system boots correctly, and works even better than with XBMC on XBOX!

So the problem seems to be when the system finds a media reader drive that is in front of the XBMC drive in the boot order which does not contain a card. Presumably, when the system finds not rootfs, it should look in the next /dev/sdX, but this does not currently happen.

I hope this helps diagnose problems others are having - it sounds similar to the problems some people are having in http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=37434
Good job, you have found not only one bug, but two! Smile

Tks for the detailed debug, I will have it fixed - hopefully - in next release!

Cheers

Luigi
I can confirm this bug, I have the same issue. My flash device is actually "/dev/sdb" and I get a boot loop with "/dev/sda1 does not contain a rootfs".

Booting the LiveCD works fine.
l.capriotti Wrote:Good job, you have found not only one bug, but two! Smile

Tks for the detailed debug, I will have it fixed - hopefully - in next release!

Cheers

Luigi

My solution to this is to us disk label or uuid to identify the disk. Unless an unique uuid is created for each partition, the end user should not and cannot have more than two xbmc usb drives plugged in.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems booting XBMC live from USB0