Picture-Slideshow as Screensaver and/or Visualisation
71 views and no reply? ok last time i bump this and then ill just wait and hope for it to be implemented... Smile
Sad 
already suggested (but maybe not exacly the same as you cannot use cdg with any screensavers at all currently and that would be a complete new separate/different request):

http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....;t=4230
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....;t=1437
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
wow, so people have viewed topic and choosen not to reply, so weird no ?

and know this, just because you want something, doesnt make it happen :o
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

gamestar - i understand that u could not have cdg running over a screen saver - and so was hoping a slide show was made as a vis - which can be run in the bg of a cdg.

pike - i didnt expect something to be made because i posted it... it is/was a suggestion - i just thought that with so many views someone might have said something... similar to what gamester said...
i am happy that the developers added support for a slideshow as a screensaver, a feature i have wanted ever since i first started using xbmc. i'm referring to the 2005-9-27 version.

anyways, the problem is it will not start the screensaver when my startup_slideshow.py script is called from autoexec.py. this script just starts a slideshow upon bootup with xbmc.executebuiltin('xbmc.slideshow(f:\\pictures\\Wink') which i've been succesfully using for a while with previous versions of xbmc. this script is still working, but when i exit that script-started slideshow and do stuff, the screensaver slideshow will never come up.

however, if i remove my startup_slideshow from autoexec, the screensaver slideshow works fine. i can even manually run my startup_slideshow, exit it, and (after waiting) the slideshow screensaver works fine. so i added the screensaver call directly into autoexec.py (just pasted the line mentioned above) and now my problem is solved. it only seems to be a problem when called as a script from autoexec.py, not if its in autoexec.py or if i manually run the script. weird, but i've got around it so it's not really a problem anymore, but took a lot of time using trial/error to figure out how to make it work.

next issue. if i press back during an screensaver slideshow, it exits the slideshow. when i press back during a manually started slideshow, it shows a screen with the slideshow in the background, but no menu. i want the menu! what i want is the slideshow (screensaver or not) to show up in the background like movies/videos do when one presses the blue x button during playback. is this possible?
hey guys,

i have had a look around the forums and help files for a way to use images as a visualization. but no joy.

there might be a couple of ways to do this. let me know what you guys think is the best way.

what i need
i need to be able to randomly play .mov files and .mp3 files. currently i do this by using a playlist set to shuffle (what's the differance between shuffle and randomize?)

however, i would like it to display the videos when its their turn to play, but instead of displaying the defualt visualization when the music plays, i want it to display a slide show of images (like the slideshow option in my pictures).

if there is a way to set the visualization to just display a slideshow of images (prefference is randomly from a smb folder)?

thanks for the help,
bacon

i love the slideshow option for the screensaver in the latest xbmc builds (after 9/22 or so). would it be possible to add a randomize option to display the slides in random order? this feature is in already in the xbmc slideshow, and it would be nice for the screensaver option as well.
you cant. its not currently possible. there is no slideshow visualization.

and shuffle and randomize are similar but operate differently. shuffle reorders a playlist. shuffle can be undone to restore the playlist back to its original order. randomize plays the list in a random order (without repeating any songs.)

where this difference becomes apparent is when repeat is enabled. with randomize disabled, repeat will play the playlist in its listed order and start over when it gets to the bottom of the playlist. with randomize enabled, the list will play in a random order. and then when all songs have been played, it will start over, but should not play in the same exact order.
thanks kraqh3d,

how would i go about requesting this feature (i understand it would be low on a long list)?

thanks again,
bacon
(enigma9o7 @ sep. 28 2005,23:18 Wrote:next issue.  if i press back during an screensaver slideshow, it exits the slideshow.  when i press back during a manually started slideshow, it shows a screen with the slideshow in the background, but no menu.  i want the menu!  what i want is the slideshow (screensaver or not) to show up in the background like movies/videos do when one presses the blue x button during playback.  is this possible?
i see the following in changelog_pm.txt file with 03oct05 release:

2005-09-30 changed: new homescreen pictures incl slideshow

i think this is exactly what i want. i want the homescreen pictures to be a slideshow instead of the default picture that changes depending what button is highlighted (or visualization when music is playing). but i couldn't find anywhere to set these files! i looked through the settings menu (running xbmc) and looked in xboxmediacenter.xml and still can't figure it out. help!
(arfung @ sep. 30 2005,18:38 Wrote:i love the slideshow option for the screensaver in the latest xbmc builds (after 9/22 or so). would it be possible to add a randomize option to display the slides in random order? this feature is in already in the xbmc slideshow, and it would be nice for the screensaver option as well.
i would like to second the randomize screensaver slideshow feature.

the new screensaver slide show is a great feature! however since its not random if you've got a large number of photos then you'll see those which come first alphabtically more frequently than than those that come last. (i'm getting bored of the first few photos).

perhaps the screensaver slideshow could just use the same settings as specifiied for a maually launched slideshow. (you can specify randomize in there).

great feature anyway, keep up the good work.

:thumbsup:  :bowdown:  :kickass:
Acer Revo R3700, XBMC Darma on Windows 7 - Xbox with X3, X3CP & X3IR, XBMC as dash, Xbox v1.4, Vantec 80mm Stealth Fan Mod
a) allow multiple paths
ie:
smb://server/photos/diving/favorites
smb://server/photos/family/favorites
smb://server/slideshow

b) set paths in xboxmediacenter.xml

c) have setting for randomize pictures

thanks!
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
just wanted to bump this suggestion.
Acer Revo R3700, XBMC Darma on Windows 7 - Xbox with X3, X3CP & X3IR, XBMC as dash, Xbox v1.4, Vantec 80mm Stealth Fan Mod
i agree, this desperately needs a random feature, does anyone know if its been worked on yet ?

if it can be done, then some suggestions for various forms of random:

1) completly random pic from random folders.

2) random folder/sequential pics - (picks folder, shows all pics till none left, then pic another folder - and repeat ...)

3) sequential folder/random pics

personally i'd be happy with just completly random/random, but otherwise 'random folder/sequential pics' if i had the choice.

another suggestion:
what about if a music playlist is kept in a pictures folder, then that would be played if that folder is selected for a slideshow.

the idea being that you may have taken the time to pick a few tracks that fit best with that collection of pictures and always want them to play when viewing them as slideshow.

i know that can be done now by saving a seperate playlist but its clunky and i think associating playlist with pictures folder would make it a sealess feature ?
this "screensaver" isnt really a screensaver. it uses the same slideshow mechanism just as if you started it from my pictures. if you enable shuffle in my piictures, then the screensaver should show the images in random order.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Picture-Slideshow as Screensaver and/or Visualisation0