Information Dolby Vision and HDR10 + on Windows 10/11 ?
Hello guys,

I really thank you for your great Kodi builds until there.. You made a great work ! 

However, I am juste a fresh starter in the adventure and would like if it would be possible to decode and stream my ripped blueray disks (HDR10+ and DV) to my TV.
Is Widows version of Kodi capable of that or will it be in a near future with Kodi 21 Omega soon to be realeased ?

Many thanks in advance for your kind consideration and information,
Ben
Kodi on Windows will not do HDR10+ or Dolby Vision, just HDR.
(2024-02-19, 13:51)MatteN Wrote: Kodi on Windows will not do HDR10+ or Dolby Vision, just HDR.

I know that but what about Kodi 21 Omega features ? Can I expect it to do DV and HDR10+ playback/decoding ?
Many thanks in advance
Only progress regarding DV is with android.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=360018
(2024-02-19, 14:46)MatteN Wrote: Only progress regarding DV is with android.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=360018

Ok, many thanks for these informations !
Do you know if RPI4 or 5 will be DV compatible in the future with Kodi 21 ?

Many thanks ! :-)
Probably not in a near future.
Sam Nazarko over at OSMC is working on tonemapping for his flagship The Vero V.
And some android devices have working DV and tonemapping with CoreELEC.
And of course Nvidia Shield Pro.
(2024-02-19, 15:58)MatteN Wrote: And some android devices have working DV and tonemapping with CoreELEC.

I have made some (extensive) researchs) and ended up with the Nokia 8010 Android box.
It seems compatible with Dolby Vision, HDR10+ and major audio codecs (HDMA/X and Atmos/THD).

Have you heard some feedback about this box ?

Many thanks in advance,
Ben
(2024-02-19, 19:27)Bendoo Wrote: I have made some (extensive) researchs) and ended up with the Nokia 8010 Android box.
It seems compatible with Dolby Vision, HDR10+ and major audio codecs (HDMA/X and Atmos/THD).
Here's a review https://androidpctv.com/nokia-streaming-...10-review/ where the benchmarks suggest it's a standard/middle of the road streaming box.

This benchmark image really puts things into perspective https://androidpctv.com/wp-content/uploa...kBench.jpg

I wouldn't really consider the need for HDR10+ as any streaming service / Bluray will support Dolby Vision, and possibly HDR10+ (although not guaranteed). Unless of course you got mugged and bought a Samsung TV or other TV that doesn't support DV..

Can anyone name a single release that is HDR10+ that doesn't have a Dolby Vision equivalent from the same source? The HDR format war is already lost IMO. I wonder how long before Samsung capitulates.
I can't believe how many are buying into marketing hype, Anything that requires royalties (read money) to utilize their format isn't going to hold up for too long in an open market.

HDR allows compatible displays to receive a higher-quality image source. It does not improve a display's intrinsic properties (brightness, contrast, and color capabilities). Not all HDR displays have the same capabilities, and HDR content will look different depending on the display used, and the standards specify the required conversion depending on display capabilities. There are a number of different HDR formats, including HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, and HLG. HDR10 is the most common format, and is supported by all HDR-TVs.

Although DV or Dolby Vision offers some additional features, such as scene-by-scene mastering. HDR10+ is a newer format that is similar to Dolby Vision, but is royalty-free.
(2024-02-26, 01:41)ChocOranger Wrote: I wonder how long before Samsung capitulates.

probably going to be the Samsung fans giving in before Samsung does, i certainly did
and Samsung is barely Samsung any more now that they will be using LG OLEDs - https://advanced-television.com/2023/05/...led-panels
and the last Samsung i bought is just android with a Samsung home launcher so it's barely even TizenOS

not a whole lot of reasons to be a Samsung owner any longer
(2024-02-26, 03:08)PatK Wrote: Anything that requires royalties (read money) to utilize their format isn't going to hold up for too long in an open market.
It seems to me that Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Digital Plus, Atmos and DTS-X are holding up just fine (or have held up until the patent expired).

Am I missing something in your reasoning?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2024-02-26, 03:08)PatK Wrote: HDR10+ is a newer format that is similar to Dolby Vision, but is royalty-free.
No sure that is actually true.

HDR10 is royalty free and uses an open specifiication from the Consumer Technology Association.

However HDR10+ is NOT from the Consumer Technology Association, it comes from Samsung and Amazon and uses nothing from the static HDR10 specification, and the HDR10+ specification is neither open or freely avaiable.

The naming of HDR10+ by Samsung is a deliberate attempt to deceive by them to make it seem it's somehow connected to HDR10.
Quote:the HDR10+ specification is neither open or freely available.
Just echoing the wikipedia.org first paragraph; in depth I ran into "Since 2014, multiple HDR formats have emerged including HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, and HLG.[6][15] Some formats are royalty-free and others require a license. The formats vary in their capabilities." I stand corrected if what you attribute is correct. Note: The technology is standardized and defined in SMPTE ST 2094-40 HDR10+ is an open standard[disputed (for: "open" describing something not publicly available)  – discuss] and is royalty-free; certification and logo program for HDR10+ does have a yearly fee.

Dolby sure has the market bamboozled.  Open formats hold up longer than code that requires $per unit but in the case of hardware, the extra cost might be an acceptable market decision as long as there is demand.
(2024-02-27, 00:07)PatK Wrote: hold up longer than code that requires $per unit but in the case of hardware

not sure that's accurate, ask Microsoft about the per unit "strictly" enforced licenses (for closed source)
SMPTE spec are not "open" in the sense that you have to buy the spec from them or get a boot-leg.  I believe you also need to be a member of SMPTE to influence the spec-writing process.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby Vision and HDR10 + on Windows 10/11 ?0