Information Dolby Vision and HDR10 + on Windows 10/11 ?
(2024-02-27, 00:07)PatK Wrote: Open formats hold up longer than code that requires $per unit but in the case of hardware, the extra cost might be an acceptable market decision as long as there is demand.

Dolby Vision content will be produced by professional individuals and studios. Software licence frees are peanuts in comparison to the overall budgets. Studios also know they'll be able to call on support from Dolby. Open standards don't generally have any support.
Per TV it's less than $3.
Per unit for any distribution (eg Bluray) is always going to be paid. 

It's naive to think Dolby Vision will not survive as long as HDR10+.  (You state: Open formats hold up longer than code that requires $per unit)

Dolby knows what it's doing and has been licensing other products for years that content providers are obviously still using.
(2024-02-19, 13:56)Bendoo Wrote:
(2024-02-19, 13:51)MatteN Wrote: Kodi on Windows will not do HDR10+ or Dolby Vision, just HDR.

I know that but what about Kodi 21 Omega features ? Can I expect it to do DV and HDR10+ playback/decoding ?
Many thanks in advance
DV and HDR10+ require certification of the display chip and have protected hardware path from decoding from gpu to display. So it will never happen on Windows platform.
It works on Android because it is a ARM CPU + Mali GPU based SOC (such as tegra, amlogic or mediatek) and they get certified, so outside of arm soc based devices and game consoles, do not expect DV/HDR10+ support

When 21 is released possibly XBox One X and Series X may get DV support as the hardware is certified
Kodi 21 Windows 10 and 11 | 21 Xbox One X | 21 Linux Mint Virginia XFCE | CoreELEC NO 21 nightly S905X4 aarch64
Hi everyone, I'm new here. For DV, I usually follow this spreadsheet for which devices to buy, which led me to owning a Sony BD player as my FEL player, then the C1 for streaming, then an 8th gen i3 nuc for everything else. I don't know since when, but an option for windows was added, Energy Player + Dolby Vision Extensions from the microsoft store.

Not sure if this has been asked before. Is it possible for Kodi to integrate the use of the windows DV extension for playback? I can see that Kodi is also available in the Microsoft Store.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby Vision and HDR10 + on Windows 10/11 ?0