Beta Automatic A.I Translation of Subtiles
Hi,

Often we find quality contents which have integrated subtitles or subtitles downloaded using addons but their subtitles are only available in english or another language which is not suitable for some of us. With the raise of A.I it is now possible to translate efficiently subtitles in languages where they are not available.

It could be an interesting feature to add kodi ability for automatic translation of the played subtitles whatever their source (included in the video, local to video's folder, or downloaded by a subtitle addon) using one of the many A.I services available now. Like ChatGPT, Gemini, Bing, Claude....or at least Google Translate through a simple API call to these services.

A Very useful feature imo
would be simpler to just buy a movie that is actually in the right language and copy the subs off the disc when backing up

you have to consider most subtitles are graphic based so would have to use OCR first just to convert them to text based and then you could use one of your auto-translations

but OCR already has problems recognizing characters and computer translations are often grammatically incorrect
I am not talking about subtitles graphically inserted in videos, of course these ones cannot be translated without OCR. I am talking about the embedded subtitles in an mkv track, local srt files or even subtitles downloaded automatically by subtitle addons. These are simple txt subtitles that can be pushed to a translation service or an A.I through a.simple call. Of course the translated result need to keep original timecodes of source subtitle.
(2024-02-28, 02:37)NeOHM Wrote: I am not talking about subtitles graphically inserted in videos, of course these ones cannot be translated without OCR.
neither am i, PGS subtitles are graphical, ASS subtitles are graphical

(2024-02-28, 02:37)NeOHM Wrote: I am talking about the embedded subtitles in an mkv track
mkv is just a container, those subs are PGS, ASS or SRT

(2024-02-28, 02:37)NeOHM Wrote: local srt files or even subtitles downloaded automatically by subtitle addons.

sure, or just paste the plain text subs into https://translate.google.com 1 time instead of every time a video is played

what you're talking about only really benefits downloaded subs, retail discs only have PGS or DVDSub which are graphics, basically an overlay jpg in simple terms
I still haven't seen any AI make a decent translation, they are pretty much garbage all of them.
A non-starter as you have to pay to use the API's.
I was talking mostly about TXT SRT files downloaded by addons like OpenSubtitles, A4ksubtitles,.... when watching my ripped DVDs and Blueray movies and TV Shows which don't have French subs ;-)
Of course other ASS graphical Subs couldn't be translated. I don't use the embedded subtitles.
I have a ChatGPT Plus account, this is not an issue for me.

Also the feature could also support local A.I translation through a localhsot API call, as some A.I projects provide trained A.I software to install locally.
Quote:Please note that the ChatGPT API is not included in the ChatGPT Plus subscription
from https://help.openai.com/en/articles/7039...hatgpt-api and as far as I can tell it's the developer who has to pay.
(2024-02-28, 16:04)jjd-uk Wrote: A non-starter as you have to pay to use the API's.

you can host the model locally and generate and translate subtitles without needing to pay  but it's like 7-8GB and the translations are not good

https://github.com/McCloudS/subgen for a project that does exactly this - a docker image with the openAI whisper model and python scripts to generate subtitles based on the media sent to it. Does a pretty great job with transcribing media actually; I have it on my server for exactly that purpose and it has replaced pulling subs from opensubtitles and the like. but every time i've tried it for translation of foreign media it results in a jilted difficult to understand mess because it doesn't do any kind of localization whatsoever. 0 understanding of colloquial language, slang, etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Automatic A.I Translation of Subtiles0