Anyone using MySQL with a router (usb connected) SMB Share?
Bit of a Luddite when it comes to this so bear with me with the following questions:

1) Is as the title asks even feasible? I have read different things that it is troublesome to not even doable? Can MySQL work with a router-based Windows SMB share (hard drive connected via usb of router). SMB is where my Kodi library is stored (Kodi sources linked). The SMB share is not mapped.

2) Followed everything here: MySQL - Official Kodi Wiki. I understand the Advanced Settings part no problem. Issues is using MySql Workbench trying to establish remote connection. Do I need to tick the (bind IP) box in the networking options settings for remote connection? If so, I am having trouble with Workbench making that change to config file

3) I am also confused about the config file, does that need to be on the SMB share drive also? All I have read it seems it (config file) needs to be letter drive addressed when it is on a legitimate NAS. 

4) Found this video (MySQL Workbench: Connection Creation and Trouble Shooting (for beginners) (youtube.com) where some of it is familiar and I get lost on other parts. Is there any part of the video that would help?

If there is hope in doing this I will post the specific areas that I need addressed

Thanks
Sorry, but don't understand what you are trying to do.  Where exactly have you installed MySQL?  What Kodi clients will be accessing MySQL?  Is there a specific client that will be handling database updates?

The database only stores the paths to media.  The Kodi clients need to be able to resolve those paths and reach the actual files.  All clients do need write access to MySQL for storing resume / bookmarks / user ratings and the like.

scott s.
MySQL is installed on a Windows 10 HTPC which runs Kodi v20.5. MySQL is set up and running a localhost. I am trying to add a remote connection through MySQL Workbench to the SMB Share. I assume this would handle the database updates.

The other clients devices would be various Android devices all with the same Kodi version. I assume they would follow the path set in the Advanced Settings added per this: https://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Setting_up_Kodi

As per the MySQL Wiki I am trying to accomplish this:

Introduction
If you have more than one Kodi device on your local network then you might want to synchronize them by sharing the Kodi library databases via the MySQL protocol. Using shared library databases allows you to store information for either your video or music library in a central database, so that multiple devices can access the same information at the same time.
This gives you the ability to do things like:
Share watched and unwatched status for your media on all devices
Stop watching a movie or TV show in one room then finish watching it in another room automatically
Only one library to maintain for all devices
So if I understand, you have MySQL on a windows machine, and also Kodi on the same machine, and that Kodi is able to create/update your libraries on MySQL by using loopback tcp/ip interface.

Separately all Kodi installs need to be able to access your media storage location via smb or other access method.  You should verify all your Kodi installs can reach all your media.  You don't really need a library database to do this, but it wouldn't hurt just to test using the default local sqlite database created in each client.  Once the client is able to access all your media locations you can switch it over to the mysql library via advanced settings file.

scott s.
This maybe the wrong forum for this post but my eventual goal is to have MySql handle my Kodi library to share watched and unwatched status for media on all devices.  My issue is not the Kodi part right now - yes all clients see SMB sources. My issue is MySql trying to connect to SMB database. I assume this would be the first step is to have MySql see the database before Kodi could give it watched status updates.  Like my first post said not sure this can be done with my cheap man's NAS (Router based SMB Share). When I attempt to connect to SMB database at 192.168.0.1 I get various WMI conflicts /popups which I am trying to "Google" troubleshoot my way out of.  Sorry for any confusion but I have really no idea how MySql works so trying to figure it out. My main goal in posting here was to see if anyone else has a similar set up and is working? I really didn't want to post on a server or MySql forums because I am sure their responses will be Greek to me.

Thanks
This thread ( https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=363594 ) probably answers it for me. Probably go with Pi or Trakt

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone using MySQL with a router (usb connected) SMB Share?0