Playback issues I cant figure out, starting with 20.0, but not on prior releases
I have used Kodi for awhile and up until 19.5 i have had no issues (local media and streaming media .. the Plutotv addon in kodi repos mainly are the same source for all of this ... videos and audio files locally too) ... ever since 20.x I have had odd issues where playback just stops ... it doesn't crash ... Kodi is responsive .. and to be clear i use the official Aeon Nox: SiLVO skin in the repos, not the default one.

When this happens, the play/pause button in the corner of the screen seems to disappear if i recall. going to the "home" menu, then killing Kodi's process and then restarting it, playing the same file or stream, fixes it ... until the issue always comes up again. I am going to try to capture the log and upload it to kodi as a bug report (I wish i could keep 20.x/21.x RC install along side 19.5 which i have gone back to and HAD NO ISSUES with) .

This is not an anti-Kodi post.. I love it ... just curious if others have experienced the same sorts of issues, is all. I have the Backup/Restore addon installed and have my 19.x settings backed up that i can go back to, but this time I'd sort of like to try to help Kodi with a bug report. If i remember 20.0 20.1 and 20.2 all did it BUT .1 and .2 did it less often then 20.0 ... also I have looked for the CEC settings in Kodi (I remember where it used to be, but cant find it, where guides are saying it is ... only reason i want to find it is that SOME say .. that being enabled MAY cause the playback issues ... just wanted to test that theory out.

I did try what i saw somewhere and while i forgot the setting name ... its in System~>Audio ... if i recall and it is set to "optimized" ("audio profile" or "audio playback" maybe?) .. someone said changing that to "Fixed" fixed their issue but i still had the issue last night. I haven't looked at the HUGE Log yet but what drove me nuts is that when i had debug log ON (to hopefully catch something i could use to fix or provide a bug report) .. the issue didn't happen .. 20 minutes or so after i turned that off ... it happened again.

When this issue happens ... say i am in a local album (music) ... it acts like it cant read the files and just goes from track to track as if its trying to get to the next one it can read. If i do the "kill Kodi's process" and restart Kodi ... then try to play something from that album (this would be for all/any albums by the way) ... it plays a-ok until the issue comes up again.

Another thing i noticed is that some of my mp3 files are pretty large LENGTH wise BUT ... it happened (the issue) twice last night with small like 3 minute tracks too. Figured the size may have had something to do with it... even though (up to me trying to help fix this issue and figure this out) everything up to Kodi 19.5 DOESN'T ever have this sort of issue mentioned.

This is on a device with Android 10.x by the way
I totally know this is not from the debug log (which i will try to capture and provide) ... this is from the regular kodi log and i edited this down to about when the issue started tonight ... fanawigige.kodi (paste)    that repeating message seems when it just goes file by file through an album, not able to play it anymore   Files connected via sdcard or usb drive to Android box, NOT on a Network by the way (not on a NAS or something I mean)
(2024-03-17, 04:29)Xmetalfanx Wrote: Files connected via sdcard or usb drive to Android box
Are you sure about that because it sounds like this is from a streaming service to me:

Code:
2024-03-16 21:01:58.127 T:8887 error <general>: CActiveAE::FreeStream - failed
2024-03-16 21:01:58.253 T:26874 info <general>: CDVDAudioCodecAndroidMediaCodec::Open() Use default handling for non encrypted stream
And try not to edit the logs down, unless they don't fit.
Removing stuff like the header details takes out a lot of useful information.

If the log is being spammed by the same error message thousands of times then fair enough if it is too big otherwise, but beyond that try and keep as much in there as possible.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
sorry guys ... this issue keeps happening but when it happens changes ... was trying to produce the issue last night but by the time it happened (again if "debug log" is different from the normal one, i forgot to enable that) the kodi.log file was like 40MB at that point.

I will try to get a FULL Log to post later (with proof/evidence of what is happening).

What i basically use Kodi for is local media (audio and videos) , a LEGAL (i mean that ... many Plutotv channels where it works without needing the addon) IPTV list and ironically the PlutoTV addon  (I have a few others like the Kodi apk installer, where its easy to get new/different versions without hunting things down online) and the backup/restore profiles addon, but that is not relivant)

The playback issue happens when i am using local media but maybe one of those two (plutotv addon or iptv list) is having an effect on something?  (again for PROOF, i will try to get an actual log later).  I THOUGHT i found what was happening .... basically i listen to some music files and turn my TV off, i THOUGHT when i turned the TV back on, is what triggered it, but TRYING to trigger it that way to test my idea ... it wasn't having an issue.

I totally get not slimming down logs ... I was posting that until i get the full (hopefully not 40MB+ again ... much of it was from when there was no issue for a long period of time) log to post.

thanks for the responses
I admit i had to do this a few times (had a 2 addons disabled (made for Matrix) but they still had errors in the log so i completely removed them (the addon, not editing the posted log) and i still was able to reproduce the issue ... it doesn't happen all the time, but it always happens when the Android tv box is playing music, and i shut my TV off (no need for it on) and THEN i turn it back on again... THAT is when the issue happens.  Full log of the last time, moments ago https://paste.kodi.tv/puvikoraga.kodi

I saw somewhere that with a playback issue someone said it may have to do with Kodi CEC settings but while i remember seeing that in Kodi i dont see any CEC device listed in (I think i have this right)  System ~> Input ~~~> peripheral ... i keep seeing the game controllers though even though i dont use this setup for any gaming (have a Pi3 and Retropie for that)
The only thing I see in your log is a network issue. Means: even kodi's "online test" fails ... to connect to something. To fix it, you restart kodi, right?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
more info (just to not leave anything out) i do have Rethink from Fdroid installed (firewall) ... checking to see if i see anything different blocked (i do have kodi's process set to "allow" but i do use a number of block lists) ... NOT SURE why that wouldn't cause issues with any Kodi version 19.5 or prior with the same exact local media ... but hey ... I just want to be complete in the info i give
that unable to connect message in the log was probably due to Rethink.   One of the settings is "block new apps by default" and uninstalling Kodi and reinstalling it, had it set to block.    I DONT THINK that has anything to do with the issue, and dont want to send people down a rabbit hole, but I want to be honest/clear.  Again the issue always happens with local media ... the original snippet of an error message i posted may not have anything to do with this problem.
FINALLY got the issue to happen with Debug log on (everytime i tried before it'd go for hours (hence that 40MB log perhaps) without issue ... that was driving me nuts ... wanted to get it with debug logging on for awhile now

ecoziwacag.kodi (paste)
the online connection failing (that may have been before i got the debug log to be on WHILE the issue happens) was likely due to the firewall and a rabbit hole (nothing to do with what I posted about).

To be clear to "fix" the issue when it happens, I
use a program like background app and process list and kill the Kodi process (i go to "power~> exit" in Kodi first of course) ... then just restart Kodi and sound is back.

The firewall issue happened when i changed versions of kodi (say testing in the 21.x RC APK if the issue still happened) ... I guess my firewall "block apps by default" was blocking the new version it wasn't familiar with (Rethink from F-Droid again) ... I always allowed Kodi but i saw settings WERE set to block for some reason.   Again this has nothing to do with the issue... dont want to send people down the wrong path
One update ... I admit i haven't tried PlutoTV channels (all of these issues come up with local media i know... plugged into a hub, that is plugged into the device .. .no NAS or anything like that) ..... I tried to watch a video after the issue happened as a test ... the videos (tried 4 random videos) played fine but sound was gone.  Also i cant remember if this is default Kodi or not but going from menu to menu i still here "click ... click ... click" (that is normal i mean), navigating the menus (there is a setting to turn that off i know) ... but any local file that tries to play has no audio when the issue happens
Not sure if i was clear (just providing info) .. this Kodi install is on an android box with 4gb of ram, and its connected to a tv via HDMI ... it doesn't always happen but often ... it gets triggered when, there is audio playing, then i shut the TV off (listening to wired on Bluetooth devices .. and the issue DOES appear on both...THOUGH I'd have to test it more if it happens when say BT is not involved at all ... meaning shut the BT device off, and then sound would usually come out of my wired speakers... i have not tested it if wired speakers ~~> tv off .~> wait~> tv on ~~> sound via wired speakers works on not) ..

HERE (when issue happens) i still here the clicks from going from menu to menu, just no sound from any local file ... video displays fine too, but there is no audio with it, until i close and reopen kodi (killing the process closing it). 

I am looking into different forum posts where i think i saw somewhere some audio thing gets "reset" (when connected to something via hdmi?) when it detects a signal or something (aka the tv is coming back on).  

When the issue happens it just scrolls say through an album as if it cant find the files BUT it doesn't say "file can not be found" or anything like that
just upgraded (i have my stuff backed up) from 19.3 to the 21 RC2 apk and here is a log from that just moments ago batulahivi.kodi (paste)
Does this file work?
2024-03-20 17:01:58.770 T:24779   error <general>: Init: Error opening file /storage/75C0-6FC1/Music/Easy Listening/Dan Gibson/albums/(2013) Algonquin Suite/08- Dan Gibson's Solitudes - Eyes of the Night.mp3
2024-03-20 17:01:58.770 T:24779   error <general>: CAudioDecoder: Unable to Init Codec while loading file /storage/75C0-6FC1/Music/Easy Listening/Dan Gibson/albums/(2013) Algonquin Suite/08- Dan Gibson's Solitudes - Eyes of the Night.mp3
2024-03-20 17:01:58.770 T:24779 warning <general>: PAPlayer::QueueNextFileEx - Failed to create the decoder

Means: do you really have proper access to it from Android? Can you share this mp3 file? Your issue is mp3 only I assume.

One more point: Make sure you turn off (!) Component Logging again when you are finished providing logs, as this will spam the entire disk of yours.

There is definitely something with your file permissions or with the mp3 file itself. Even TAG-Readong does not work:
file /storage/75C0-6FC1/Music/Easy Listening/Dan Gibson/albums/(2013) Algonquin Suite/03- Dan Gibson's Solitudes - Paddle and Portage.mp3 could not be opened for tag reading
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback issues I cant figure out, starting with 20.0, but not on prior releases0