playercorefactory, Add rules hdrtype="dolbyvision" ; hdrtype="hdr10"
hello,
I would like to choose an external player based on the HDR type rules, currently this does not work.
Would it be possible to add these rules.
thanks.

My playercorefactory.xml
xml:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="MPC-BE 1.6.10 (madVR)" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <filename>E:/Applications\MPC-BE.1.6.10.x64/mpc-be64.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
       <playcountminimumtime>1140</playcountminimumtime>
</player>    
<player name="MPV" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
    <filename>E:/Applications/mpv-0.37.0/mpv.exe</filename>
    <args>--fs=yes "{1}"</args>
    <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
    <playcountminimumtime>1140</playcountminimumtime>    
</player>    
</players>

<rules action="prepend">  
    <rule hdrtype="dolbyvision" player="MPV"/>
    <rule hdrtype="hdr10" player="MPC-BE 1.6.10 (madVR)"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>
This is kind of curious, since, from what I'm seeing from testing different versions of ffprobe, ffmpeg was already capable of identifying files with Dolby Vision video streams in release 5.1.2 (did not go further backwards, as there's no point, considering Kodi is using 6.0.1). So it should be possible to add what you are asking but I don't know if Kodi differentiates already between HDR10 and Dolby Vision through file analysis or if it's still at the file naming convention stage. If it's the former, your request would probably be easier to fulfill.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2024-04-07, 13:25)ashlar Wrote: between HDR10 and Dolby Vision through file analysis
The Aeon-Nox skin shows DV or HDR10 without any special file names.
Yeah the HDR media flags come from streamdetails which is populated by file analysis by ffmpeg.
(2024-04-07, 17:28)jjd-uk Wrote: Yeah the HDR media flags come from streamdetails which is populated by file analysis by ffmpeg.
Ok, so it is as I suspected. Would it be much work to add this info as an argument for playercorefactory rules?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
No idea, it's there in a database table so probably so maybe wouldn't be too much work to expose. But no one on the Team will likely have any interest as we all use Kodi as the player.
Hi,
I did some new tests:
I chose 3 files for my tests.
idfile 1: Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.09, BL+RPU

idfile 2: Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

idfile 3: SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

1) kodi 20.5 ignores Dolbyvision layer when scanning.

2) kodi 21 adds the Dolbyvision layer when scanning and ignores the HDR10 layer if both are present in the metadata

I confirm that these 2 rules do not work.
    <rule hdrtype="dolbyvision" player="MPV"/>
    <rule hdrtype="hdr10" player="MPC-BE 1.6.10 (madVR)"/>
Might depend on the container, ffmpeg 5 (as used in v20) only supported Dolby Vision in a mp4 container and those appear to be full disk backups so that would likely be correct, all other container formats was only added in ffmpeg 6 as used in v21.
Just applying Dolby Vision is more or less correct. Or am I missing some scenario where one would need both info? My idea is that if you have DV material in your library it's because you have a video chain capable of handling DV after all.

As far as playercorefactory.xml is concerned, this confirms that it would be "just" a matter for some developer to add those two parameters, as all the "ingredients" appear to be already available in current Kodi.
As such, the feature request is probably the best way to go, hoping an interested developer will spot it. :-)
To finish
the Rule
<rule hdrtype="hlg" player="mpv.net"/> 
doesn't work either in kodi 21 Omega.
in conclusion none of the "hdrtype" rules work.
It's an easy extension, I submitted a pull request for v22. Don't know if a backport to v21 is an option as it's a new feature.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/24978
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thank you for submitting a pull request, I would be happy if backporting will be possible to Kodi 21 Omega.
@CrystalP

I tested with Kodi (22.0-ALPHA1 (21.90.700)20240416-497beac1dd) on Windows 10 and the three rules hdr10, dolbyvision, hlg work correctly.
Could you tell me if this could be corrected in kodi 21.
Thank you for your time
This is not a bug fix so not sure it can be backported to v21. I'll ask.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
playercorefactory, Add rules hdrtype="dolbyvision" ; hdrtype="hdr10"0