• 23(current)
XBMControl - a compact remote XBMC controller app for Windows (Open Source C# .NET)
Ran, XBMControl v0.4.2a Portable
First run works, 2nd run results in the app starting up but throwing the message:

---------------------------
XBMC web server disabled
The internal XBMC web server is disbaled.
Without it being enabled XBMControl can't function properly.

XBMControl will be closed now.
OK

Once you hit "OK" then you get the "XBMControl has stopped working" with the details as:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: xbmcontrol.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 4914744e
Problem Signature 04: System.Windows.Forms
Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4a275ebd
Problem Signature 07: 14d2
Problem Signature 08: 23
Problem Signature 09: System.ObjectDisposedException
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

-- Note that the webserver is running. When I ran the app the first time it didn't connect immediately but after 15? secs.

About where the config is store, I found it stored at"
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Bram_van_Oploo\XBMControl.exe_Url_*

It creats a folder based on where its installed (random text at the end), thus this is why when you move the .exe to another location it works for the first time.. because there is no config.

So for my install the absolute path for the config is:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Bram_van_Oploo\XBMControl.exe_Url_ojhjbclqhcedkc5ze12cx53jfndlfyzm\1.0.0.0\user.config

I tried toggling all sorts of different config options off but this doesnt help. It appears that the program has some sort of coding problem when it loads the config.

This app only requires the user to have the web server enabled. The options to allow other apps to control xbmc locally or remote can be turned off and it still works.
Just wanted to note for the developer --

The first time I ran the app the config wrote, renamed it and launched the app again but this time when it wrote the config this section was present:

Code:
<configSections>
        <sectionGroup name="userSettings" type="System.Configuration.UserSettingsGroup, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" >
            <section name="XBMControl.Properties.Settings" type="System.Configuration.ClientSettingsSection, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" allowExeDefinition="MachineToLocalUser" requirePermission="false" />
        </sectionGroup>
    </configSections>
First installed version 0.4.7 (Win XP on Asus notebook). If run for the first time, XBMControl shows message:

- The configuration form will allow you to configure XBMControl

Great. Acknowledged message by OK and filled form. After some investigation found the IP address field is not just for IP addres, but also for port number. So filled IP : port, username, password and submitted form. Next message was:

- Please make sure XBMC is running and the ip address is correct. Are you sure you want to proceed?

Why this message? Anything wrong with configuration? No. Just answer YES and wait - first pops up balloon saying "Cannot connect with XBMC" but in about 5 to 10 seconds it changes to "No media playing" or "Now playing" message and the same text appears in the main application window.

Ok, wondering what purpose is the timeout value in the config form for, but XBMControl seems to be working!

Hmmm, just very limited functionality. Shows playlist, allows select and play track, set volume. In the media browser I see only root dir and first level subdirs, everything more in deep is shown as "Not Folder".

But most unpleasant supprice comes after XBMControl closed and then run again. This time pops up the OS error message:

- XBMControl has encounterd a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the iconvenience.

======================

Next try is 0.4.2 Portable (portable should be more flexible, eh?)

Unpacked archive, doubleclicked XBMControl.exe and got message:

- The configuration form will allow you to configure XBMControl

Seems same as version 0.4.7, so acknowledged and submitted form. Again the same message and behaviour as for 0.4.7, but media browser seems working a bit better. I was able to open directories, find FLAC and MP3 files, enqueue selected files into playlist and start playing tracks from playlist. Directories containing video opened as well, but their content was invisible.

After closed and run again fails as 0.4.7, just in different way. App itself displays the message:

- The internal XBMC web server is disabled. Without it being enabled XBMControl can't fuction properly. XBMControl will be closed now.

and does what promised - closes.

Checking the address and port using FireFox showed the web server is working properly, just XBMControl failed to connect and lying.

Further investigation showed that there is a strange directory:

XBMControl.exe_Url_4inq4oyb2ymuqem2aitkbotf0ke4lwfe

in the D:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Bram_van_Oploo directory and if this directory is deleted, XBMControl starts with the empty configuration form again.

One-time-runable programs are not very usefull, so I created a simple batch file to make XBMControl reusable:

Code:
cd "D:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Aplication Data
  rmdir /S /Q Bram_van_Oploo

Now I can use it repeatedly, but it is far from being comfortable, as batch file allways removes previously set configuration data so every time I run XBMControl, I have to start with IP, user and password setting.

Neverheless, I like this way to control my XBMC from notebook, so I hope the new, fully working version will arrive soon!!

By the way -- AFAIK, the JSON-RPC interface needn't be used from C# or similar programming languages; it can be interfaced directly from any DHTML page (using Javascript programming). If this is true, it would be by far the most flexible solution as anyone can tweak the control tool to meet his/her needs using just text editor.

There is XBMC JSON-RPC description, but no usage examples. Would somebody explain how to control XBMC this way?
This application is very much outdated. I started coding a Javascript library for JSON-RPC usage, but never came around to finishing it since I'm vary busy building a new international social media platform (http://www.whoopaa.com) together with about 7 other people.

Sorry for the lack of attention to this project. I'm pretty sure there are alternatives that DO work with Windows 7 Smile. If I ever get around to it... I'd still like to build a Java based remote controller for xbmc using the JSON-RPC library. But don't count on it any time soon!

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
You can use: http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-remote-control/ - This is done in .NET (C#) and uses the new JSON-RPC interface (So you will need to be using Dharama Beta or higher) - It's mostly complete in terms of functionality, could do with a little makeover though (Feel free to update it and submit the changes Wink).
XBMC Remote7 an XBMC library browser/remote for Windows Phone 7.
Xbmc-Json a .NET XBMC JSON API Library.
Xbmc-Remote-Control a .NET based XBMC library browser and remote for Windows, Linux and OS X.
Thans for replies.

To Bram 77: Is the program source public?

To dstructiv: tool you suggest unfortunately does not work for me. May be I have problems because not using official Dharma (waiting for Mandriva port). My environment is ASRock ION330HT + Mandriva 2010.1 + experimental XBMC 9.11 repack with dharma interface.
The source is available on google code. Just do a svn checkout Smile
http://code.google.com/p/xbmcontrol/source/checkout

Why use Mandriva and not just Ubutnu or XbmcLive? There's a great customised XbmcLive version for ION platforms. I'm using it on my Asrock ION330-HT. Stable, compete, up to date and lightning fast. Smile
A new version of XbmcFreaks LiveCD will arrive soon. I'm using this one (the latest) -> http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/en/xbmcfreak-liv...-beta2-t4/

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
... Why use Mandriva and not just Ubutnu or XbmcLive?

To be honest, I am using RPM environment (RedHat, Fedora, Mandriva) for years and like it more than Debian/Ubuntu. I prefer also using ASrock box as full Linux system, not just as XBMC station.
Ah, I was assuming you're using it as a dedicated Xbmc machine. Then there would be no advantage in using Mandriva Smile

Bram77 Wrote:The source is available on google code. Just do a svn checkout Smile
http://code.google.com/p/xbmcontrol/source/checkout
Thanks.

Bram77 Wrote:Why use Mandriva and not just Ubutnu or XbmcLive? There's a great customised XbmcLive version for ION platforms. I'm using it on my Asrock ION330-HT. Stable, compete, up to date and lightning fast. Smile

I started with the Ubuntu XBMCLive, but ... I am using the RPM environment for years, so I prefer it before DEB. Next, I prefer to use ASRock box as full system, not just as XBMC box. Problem with native remote just solved ( http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...iva+remote ). May be I will try the Dharma tarball, but currently is not available.

Sorry for mess, you were too fast Smile
Bram77 Wrote:Reserved for tips and tricks....

Ballooon tips not showing

If you're not getting any balloon tips and you do want the, this option is probably disabled in Windows. Follow the instructions below to enable them again.

* [Start] [Run] [Regedit]
* Registry Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
* Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
* Data Type: REG_DWORD [Dword Value] // Value Name: EnableBalloonTips
* Setting for Value Data: [0 = Balloon Tips Disabled / 1 = Balloon Tips Enabled]
* Exit Registry and Reboot

I'm not sure that you are aware of this, but this can be done in .Net. Search for some sample registry modification code on http://www.planetsourcecode.com and you'll see that it's not too hard. That would eliminate one issue and it's always nice to store your application settings in the registry... at least I prefer to do that most of the time.
OK, updated XBMC to latest mandriva package (xbmc-10.0-0.svn34597.dharma.pvr_testing2.1mdv2010.1)
and tested XBMC Remote v0.3, XBMControl v0.4.7, and XBMControl v0.4.2a Portable again.
Result: all programs behave as before. The XBMControl v0.4.2a Portable wins again, just problem with one-time usability remains.

Tested also new native XBMC web control (JSONRPC based). It's a nightmare, not remote control! Much better is XBMControl_Web_v1_37.zip, but unfortunately does not see subdirs on my disk.

Bram77 Wrote:This application is very much outdated ....... Sorry for the lack of attention to this project. I'm pretty sure there are alternatives that DO work with Windows 7 Smile. If I ever get around to it... I'd still like to build a Java based remote controller for xbmc using the JSON-RPC library. But don't count on it any time soon!
Outdated but still best I have found.

Q to Bram77: I decided to play a bit with XBMControl but I'm not too familiary with today's programming tools (out for more than 20 years; now retaired so it's time to get back Wink Would you be so kind and explain (just briefly) how one can dig out the latest 0.4.2a Portable source from svn and what is necessary to compile it on Windows XP? (I would prefer Dev-Cpp, as allready using it)
Discovered interesting behaviour of the 0.4.2 Portable, which allows me to run 0.4.2 again without deleting configuration file!

The trick was in suspending ASRock box before running XBMControl again. If I did that, Instead of the error mesage "The internal XBMC web server is disabled ... XBMControl will be closed now" I got just the warning "Please make sure XBMC is running and the ip address is correct". Now I waked up box using infra remote and clicked the OK button. Program replied with the correctly filled configuration window. After confirmation, program showed the warning "Please make sure XBMC is running ..." again, so I clicked OK button again and voila - XBMC was back, XBMControl working!

Strange. May be just some networking problem in the initial part of program? Let's try.

I switched my notebook's wifi OFF before running XBMControl and immediately after program showed the first warning message, switched wifi back ON. Result was exactly the same.

May be this will help? If not, I can record communication using Wireshark to see details. If yes, return back to version 0.4.2, please - this seems to be the only XBMC control program which has no problems with nested directories/files in the Dharma XBMC !!!
Quote:Outdated but still best I have found.

Q to Bram77: I decided to play a bit with XBMControl but I'm not too familiary with today's programming tools (out for more than 20 years; now retaired so it's time to get back Wink Would you be so kind and explain (just briefly) how one can dig out the latest 0.4.2a Portable source from svn and what is necessary to compile it on Windows XP? (I would prefer Dev-Cpp, as allready using it)
Cool that you like it Smile. If you've been away from programming for 20 years and you're used to C++ you'll probably like C# a lot. Forget about memory management and building your own libraries, apart from very specific functionality Smile.

All you'll need to start coding is the latest version of Visual C# Express

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloa...-Visual-CS

I'm a linux/oss supporter and full-time user, but still... Visual Studio is the best RAD environment I've ever worked with.

Don't bother trying to checkout version 0.4.2a. The source is not versioned that way in the subversion repository. I wasn't using tags or branches at that time. It's probably much easier to try and get the latest source working for you. Be aware that the HTTP api will be removed from XBMC Dharma final! Only the JSON-RPC api will be available then (which is waaaaaaaaaaaay better, but wasn't available when I started coding XbmControl)

Thans for your advices. I do not expect I will get into details too fast but hope I will manage it. Actually I programmed in Pascal OOP (and assembler, for long years before).
Bram77 Wrote:Don't bother trying to checkout version 0.4.2a. The source is not versioned that way in the subversion repository. I wasn't using tags or branches at that time
It's quite a pitty as among 5 candidates I checked the XBMControl 0.4.2 is the only one which allows me full acces to subdirs and files on my disk. All other programs do not see disk at all, or show nested subdirs as "Not Folder" (incl. XBMControl 0.4.7). May be you still remember what changes you have made between 0.4.2 and 0.4.7?
The problem with 'program fails if run second time' does not seem too serious (described in previous post).
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMControl - a compact remote XBMC controller app for Windows (Open Source C# .NET)3