[APPLE TV] 1080p Full Screen (FullHD FullScreen)?
Hello!
I have updated my AppleTV1 to the latest OS and installed the latest launcher and the nightly build from xbmc.

In the xbmc-system menu, i am not able to change to any other resolution as to 1280x720. Why is that so?
I set my ATV to use 1920x1080, but when i press arrow up or arrow down in the settings menu in xbmc, nothing happens..

I have installed and activated my crystalhd card and now i wanted to watch some 1080p movies in 1080p and not 720p..

Altough my TV says, that the signal is 1080p even when i am in xbmc, what should be 720p (also in the logs file: INFO: GUI format 1280x720 1280x720 @ 60.00 - Full Screen).

So do i have 1080p already or not? And why i am not able to change the resolution to anything else (i also tried 10.0 dharma build - its the same in my case).

Best regards
thE_29 Wrote:Hello!

In the xbmc-system menu, i am not able to change to any other resolution as to 1280x720. Why is that so?

Known issue.

The only way around it is to use Linux as your OS instead of ATVOS.

If you just want to get your feet wet without diving in with Linux, you can run the Linux just fine off of a bootable USB stick. Pin87a's image works very well.

The XBMC and CHD versions on Pin87a's image are pretty far out of date, but it only takes 10 minutes to update both.
Then someone should change the wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Mac_on_Apple_TV

Because of that I bought the crystal hd chip and now I am not able to watch 1080p on ATV-OS.

The problem with the linux on the ATV is that I dont want to replace the standard OS with it and in dualboot solutions i have to press some buttons on bootup = not really nice usage...

Where is this image from Pin87a or where can I download it?
thE_29 Wrote:Then someone should change the wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Mac_on_Apple_TV

Because of that I bought the crystal hd chip and now I am not able to watch 1080p on ATV-OS.

The problem with the linux on the ATV is that I dont want to replace the standard OS with it and in dualboot solutions i have to press some buttons on bootup = not really nice usage...

With a usb stick you can -or plug it in, you get linux -or leave it out, starting macos. (some kind of dual boot, right?)

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=74992
So, i just create an image on an USB stick and plug it in?

Because at some wiki pages, i read that you have to press some buttons during bootup, to enable booting from USB and that would just be a pain in the ass...

See here: http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/...llingLinux

And always the last sentence in the HowTOs: You might have to force USB boot by holding the IR remote "menu" and "-" buttons down.

Sad Sad
No need for pushing buttons at my side.

i would suggest this thread to read Big Grin (atleast the first post)
, its THE way to tryout ubuntu.
reeady to use image, no need for unix-knowledge.

just restore the image to your usb-stick and youre ready to give it a test drive. If you dont like it (or just switch) you can remove the usb-stick and start-up macos.

Hope this give you a good start-up.

thE_29 Wrote:So, i just create an image on an USB stick and plug it in?

Because at some wiki pages, i read that you have to press some buttons during bootup, to enable booting from USB and that would just be a pain in the ass...

See here: http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/...llingLinux

And always the last sentence in the HowTOs: You might have to force USB boot by holding the IR remote "menu" and "-" buttons down.

Sad Sad
So, i watched some mp4 1080p trailers within xbmc in ATV-OS.

So far it worked perfectly and my TV says, the signal is 1080p, but in xbmc it is set to 720p.
So what is it now?

PS.: I am downloading the linux images, to test it too Wink
xbmc in macos appletv cant take advantage of appletv 1080p. so thats why only 720p output.

it will decode 1080p just outputs it as 720p (and probably upscaling to 1080p again, thats why i guess your display is saying a normal 1080p signal)

secondly you can have 1080p with linux

thirdly (is this a word?) can you see the difference 3 feet away between 720 and 1080?

fourthly (if thirdly wasnt a word then this must be wrong too Smile), the macos forum is standing full of this question about 720 and 1080 on atv, find it and you get your answers.

hope those images will work for you Smile
thE_29 Wrote:Then someone should change the wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Mac_on_Apple_TV

The wiki is perfectly correct, you can decode and play 1080p but the ATV will only display 720p upscaled to 1080p. This is an issue of both 1st and 2nd generation ATV

* Question: Will the Apple TV playback 1080p videos encoded with the H.264 codec (like Blu-ray rips)?
o Answer: Yes, the latest version of XBMC (version 10 'Dharma') allows Apple TV to play HD H.264 encoded videos however the original Apple TV hardware is only capable of decoding 720p videos. To watch 1080 HD videos the Broadcom Crystal HD card must be installed into Apple TV along with the corresponding driver.
Not really..
It says, that xbmc v10 allows you to watch 720p with original Apple hardware and you can watch 1080p with the Broadcom Crystal chip.

So adding the sentence: "But it is always 720p upscaled to 1080p" would be good to add there..
Sry for doublepost (but i need to push it Big Grin)

@Riderzz: Why is the linux thread with the images closed? Where can i ask sth?
Is this stil the way to update the pin87a image?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=571...tcount=668
Best regards..
thE_29 Wrote:Not really..
It says, that xbmc v10 allows you to watch 720p with original Apple hardware and you can watch 1080p with the Broadcom Crystal chip.

So adding the sentence: "But it is always 720p upscaled to 1080p" would be good to add there..

The sentence "But it is 1080p source material decoded and then downscaled to 720p for output" would be better!

But, seriously. The forums are full of this issue since Davilla announced crystalhd support in what, Dec 09? It's a limitation of the native ATV OS - I doubt anything will get around it now (And I think that pretty much everyone has given up on it now). Linux gets you round it. Simple!

Jim

PS the thread has everything you need to do any combination of things: install sam or pin's image to a usb drive, update their images via commandline, enable component output, install a dual boot system (where linux reside on your internal drive, but the usb stick causes it to boot - slightly faster and get's around disk full issue), full install to internal drive (wiping ATV OS completely). Any question you might conceivably have has already been asked and answered (several times in the case of some questions) in the course of that monster thread.

If you want my advice: I would read the whole thing start to finish and get a feel for the issues involved before you begin. Takes a while, but you'll cause yourself less frustration in the long run!
Jimmer Wrote:The sentence "But it is 1080p source material decoded and then downscaled to 720p for output" would be better!

But, seriously. The forums are full of this issue since Davilla announced crystalhd support in what, Dec 09? It's a limitation of the native ATV OS - I doubt anything will get around it now (And I think that pretty much everyone has given up on it now). Linux gets you round it. Simple!

The problem is, when xbmc has a wiki, why should I go to the forum and search there if the wiki is 100% correct or not?

Noone will do that and so me neither..

PS.: The thread is very old, so i hope everything is answered in it Smile
Wikis are never 100% correct
Pin87a image plays 1080p fine and though it has some minor issue you don't even need to update to play 1080p if you have a 70012 card
If instead you have a 70015 card you have to get at least until r156 or better r170 and dharma final
I have the 70015 card Wink

Currently i am writing the image via dd to my new 8GB USB stick (because, my old one was toooo slow).

I the pin87a linux image bootable in vmware or just appletv?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLE TV] 1080p Full Screen (FullHD FullScreen)?0