[APPLE TV] Existing NITO TV SMB mount issue
Hi,

I have been using NitoTV to mount a few of my windows network shares for quite some time now.

After installing XBMC and Boxee I immediately navigated to where my media is normally mounted and found that I can only see 2-3 files in each mounted location. Now if I add a source within XMCE/Boxee and browse to my network share and supply my userid/pswd they show up as new explicit mounts/sources within XBMC/Boxee with all my media available.

Anyone else see this issue?

Thanks!

-Paul
paul996 Wrote:Hi,

I have been using NitoTV to mount a few of my windows network shares for quite some time now.

After installing XBMC and Boxee I immediately navigated to where my media is normally mounted and found that I can only see 2-3 files in each mounted location. Now if I add a source within XMCE/Boxee and browse to my network share and supply my userid/pswd they show up as new explicit mounts/sources within XBMC/Boxee with all my media available.

Anyone else see this issue?

I sort of understand what you are asking but can't follow the context of the issue.

XBMC and Boxee each have their own built in SMB client that is independent of any SMB client on the AppleTV. Their setup and configurations are also handled internal to XBMC/Boxee.
Scott,

That is kind of the point. Since I already have the SMB mounts setup within NitoTV they show up right away as potential sources within XMBC and Boxee, however something is not right because I cannot see all of the files that should be contained and only the first 2-3 files. Seems like a bug.

I totally understand that I can go ahead and specific an smb mount via XMBC or Boxee and they work fine but then I end up with two SMB mounts for the same network drive. 1 that is from Nito that works fine in say ATVfiles but doesn't really work in XBMC/Boxee and 1 that is from Boxee that does work for Boxee.

Make more sense?

davilla Wrote:I sort of understand what you are asking but can't follow the context of the issue.

XBMC and Boxee each have their own built in SMB client that is independent of any SMB client on the AppleTV. Their setup and configurations are also handled internal to XBMC/Boxee.
I guess that for now to use an SMB mount you within XBMC/Boxee you need to set it up using the XBMC/Boxee SMB client.

Maybe in the future you can just take advantage of any pre-existing mounts already made.

-Paul

davilla Wrote:I sort of understand what you are asking but can't follow the context of the issue.

Much clear now. You have SMB mounts under NitoTV and XBMC does not see all the contents of the files under the mount point.

To XBMC, this looks like a folder with files in it. It has no knowledge that it's really a SMB mount point.

I have seen this happen where a file (bad symlink) in a folder of video content prevents the rest of the files from being seen in XBMC.

Do this, look in XBMC at the file list, compare this to a list of files in the SMB mount point, what's the name/type of the file right after the ones that XBMC can see?

Post this info back as this is most likely a bug that we need to understand in order to fix.
Scott,

BTW: Awesome product!
Here you go.

-bash-2.05b$ pwd
/Users/frontrow/movies/Kids-Movies
-bash-2.05b$ ls
A.Bugs.Life.1998
Africa the Serengeti
Arctic Tale
Baby Einstein
Bambi
Bambi 2

Each of those is a directory that contains an avi file and a jpg file for the cover art. There are few more then what is shown.

XBMC will only list whatever is contained within the 1st directory...

-bash-2.05b$ cd a.bugs.life.1998
-bash-2.05b$ ls
A.Bugs.Life.1998.avi A.Bugs.Life.1998.jpg

It is consistent on my other mounts always showing the contents of the whatever is in the first directory.

Let me know if I can help more.

davilla Wrote:Much clear now. You have SMB mounts under NitoTV and XBMC does not see all the contents of the files under the mount point.

To XBMC, this looks like a folder with files in it. It has no knowledge that it's really a SMB mount point.

I have seen this happen where a file (bad symlink) in a folder of video content prevents the rest of the files from being seen in XBMC.

Do this, look in XBMC at the file list, compare this to a list of files in the SMB mount point, what's the name/type of the file right after the ones that XBMC can see?

Post this info back as this is most likely a bug that we need to understand in order to fix.
slap a little -l on that ls so I can see more info Wink ie. "ls -l"
While you're at it, you might as well also pull the log file (~/Library/Logs/xbmc.log).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

Here ya go.

-bash-2.05b$ cd kids-movies
-bash-2.05b$ ls -l
total 1674696
drwxr-xr-x 1 frontrow admin 16384 Sep 6 16:44 A.Bugs.Life.1998
drwxr-xr-x 1 frontrow admin 16384 Sep 6 18:29 Africa the Serengeti
drwxr-xr-x 1 frontrow admin 16384 Sep 6 18:29 Arctic Tale
drwxr-xr-x 1 frontrow admin 16384 Sep 6 18:28 Baby Einstein
drwxr-xr-x 1 frontrow admin 16384 Sep 6 18:26 Bambi
drwxr-xr-x 1 frontrow admin 16384 Sep 6 18:26 Bambi 2

and

-bash-2.05b$ cd a.bugs.life.1998
-bash-2.05b$ ls -l
total 1434528
-rwxr-xr-x 1 frontrow admin 734369792 Feb 25 2003 A.Bugs.Life.1998.avi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 frontrow admin 105284 Aug 29 14:20 A.Bugs.Life.1998.jpg

davilla Wrote:slap a little -l on that ls so I can see more info Wink ie. "ls -l"
let me see what is inside "Africa the Serengeti"
-bash-2.05b$ ls -l
total 2049568
-rwxr-xr-x 1 frontrow admin 1049339904 Jan 12 2008 Africa the Serengeti.avi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 frontrow admin 24129 May 20 17:07 Africa the Serengeti.jpg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 frontrow admin 9728 May 20 16:56 Thumbs.db

davilla Wrote:let me see what is inside "Africa the Serengeti"
just for kicks, move "Thumbs.db" out the folder but not in the /Users/frontrow/movies/Kids-Movies path and see if you can see more titles
no apparent change by removing thumbs. Also tried renaming the 2nd directory no not have any spaces in another mount and no change.

Kids a watching a show now before dinner so I am offline until bed time.

davilla Wrote:just for kicks, move "Thumbs.db" out the folder but not in the /Users/frontrow/movies/Kids-Movies path and see if you can see more titles
ok, I understand Wink

What we want next is the xbmc.log but we only want to get the failure event in it. So Start XBMC, go to the movie source and should get the partial listing, then quit XBMC. ~/Libraries/Logs/xbmc.log is the log, paste to http://www.pastebin.com and post the URL here.
Scott,

Do you mind sharing the whole path to the xbmc.log? I poked around earlier today looking for it and never found it. Thxs!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLE TV] Existing NITO TV SMB mount issue0