[APPLE TV] ATV USB Creator software running on Microsoft Windows computer?
Question 
He really like the idea of XBMC. Confused as to what I need to dowload. I have Windows Vista PC and Apple TV. Do I have to download one for the PC and then a USB (mac os) one for apple tv? Not sure where to start. Thanks!
Creating an install image from Windows (or Linux) is currently not supported. Davilla has estimated that support for Linux and Windows will take another week or two. So, for the time being, you will need access to an Intel Mac to create the install image.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

luckyonion Wrote:He really like the idea of XBMC. Confused as to what I need to dowload. I have Windows Vista PC and Apple TV. Do I have to download one for the PC and then a USB (mac os) one for apple tv? Not sure where to start. Thanks!

The current atvusb-creator is for Intel OSX platform. Versions for Linux and Windows should get released with a week or so.
thanks. Will keep a look out for it!
I have created an ssh patch on Windows.

You need vmware workstation and an OS X 10.4.8 image
dafranca Wrote:I have created an ssh patch on Windows.

You need vmware workstation and an OS X 10.4.8 image

Is it possible to use ATV USB Creator under an OSX install within VMWARE? I have a VMWARE image of OSX Leapard but it doesn't see the USB memory stick when plugged in.

I'm desperate to get my ATV running with XBMC but I have no Mac, only windows and linux Sad

Any update as to when the windows/linux ATV USB Creator will be ready?

Thanks!
Actually forget that, i've managed to create a patchstick using an osx 10.4.10 vmware image.

Time to install XBMC on my AppleTV! Big Grin
no! please don't forget that :-)

just wanted to say that I got this working in ubuntu with a couple of minor tweaks on the latest svn checkout

1. make the directory /media/PATCHSTICK
2. blow away the partition table on your usb stick
3. create a new one with mkfs.hftplus -v patchstick /dev/USBDEVICE
4. install p7zip-full
5. build dmg2img as described here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=549938
6. copy dmg2img and vfdecrypt to /usr/bin/
7. do an svn checkout of the source tree (http://atvusb-creator.googlecode.com/svn...sb-creator)
8. ln -sf `which 7za` atvusb-creator/tools/linux/7za
9. run with it!

good luck and keep up the great work!
wyattearp Wrote:just wanted to say that I got this working in ubuntu with a couple of minor tweaks on the latest svn checkout

1. make the directory /media/PATCHSTICK
2. blow away the partition table on your usb stick
3. create a new one with mkfs.hftplus -v patchstick /dev/USBDEVICE
4. install p7zip-full
5. build dmg2img as described here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=549938
6. copy dmg2img and vfdecrypt to /usr/bin/
7. do an svn checkout of the source tree (http://atvusb-creator.googlecode.com/svn...sb-creator)
8. ln -sf `which 7za` atvusb-creator/tools/linux/7za
9. run with it!

Ha,ha, people are starting to catch on, svn is where the action is Wink
whoops, forgot 2 steps

9.1 dd if=atv_512MB.img of=/dev/sdb
9.2 mount the patch stick
9.3 cp -R /media/PATCHSTICK/* /media/PATCHSTICK-1/.

looks like the mkfs isn't needed either. sorry for the confusion, but it should be enough to get the hacks started ;-)
whoops, forgot 2 steps

9.1 dd if=atv_512MB.img of=/dev/sdb
9.2 mount the patch stick
9.3 cp -R /media/PATCHSTICK/* /media/PATCHSTICK-1/.

looks like the mkfs isn't needed either. sorry for the confusion, but it should be enough to get the hacks started ;-)
davilla Wrote:Ha,ha, people are starting to catch on, svn is where the action is Wink

I hope that doesn't mean that Windows/Linux applications aren't in the pipeline. Huh Fedex is slowly but surely carrying a shiny, refurb ATV towards my house, and I'm hoping that the Windows patchstick app will arrive at about the same time. Big Grin
pantherman007 Wrote:I hope that doesn't mean that Windows/Linux applications aren't in the pipeline. Huh Fedex is slowly but surely carrying a shiny, refurb ATV towards my house, and I'm hoping that the Windows patchstick app will arrive at about the same time. Big Grin

It's in the pipe, don't worry Wink
bumping this, I tried running ubuntu in vmware, but I don't know how to "blow apart the partition table" - a more detailed guide would be greatly appreciated.

Once that's done, wouldn't it be possible to create a disk image like m0n0wall or freenas?
davilla Wrote:It's in the pipe, don't worry Wink

I still have faith. The Fedex guy appeared on schedule yesterday and the aTV is all hooked up now. Just waiting for that elusive Windows or Ubuntu app. If I shipped you a case of beer would it make things move any faster? Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLE TV] ATV USB Creator software running on Microsoft Windows computer?0