• 1(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO easily get MCE Remote working flawlessly in XBMC with EventGhost
Thumbs Up 
As the stickied tutorial seems to be outdated and cumbersome I just want to share an alternate approach on this widespread problem with you.

To get your MCE remote working with XBMC and many more applications of your choice just take the following steps:
(no need for alternate drivers, .NET 3.5 etc)

1. Install the latest beta build of EventGhost (EG)
  2. After starting EG, load the MCE Remote Plugin (say yes when asked about disabling HID for the remote control device)
  3. Load the XBMC plugin
  4. Connect the XBMC actions with the events from your MCE remote

The described method should work for XP32/64 and Vista32/64, please also note that EG also supports many more remotes/other input devices.

Some additional information for Vista:
The current version of the MCE Remote Plugin in EventGhost stops working after suspend/resume.
However, I have fixed this bug and if needed you can download the fixed version of the dll from the EG support forums.

This fixed version of the dll is included in Eventghost v0.3.6.1483.
Latest version of the XBMC event client for Event Ghost available here:

http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtopi...6071#p6071
F3d0r Wrote:As the stickied tutorial seems to be outdated and cumbersome I just want to share an alternate approach on this widespread problem with you.

To get your MCE remote working with XBMC and many more applications of your choice just take the following steps:
(no need for alternate drivers, .NET 3.5 etc)

1. Install the latest beta build of EventGhost (EG)
  2. After starting EG, load the MCE Remote Plugin (say yes when asked about disabling HID for the remote control device)
  3. Load the XBMC plugin
  4. Connect the XBMC actions with the events from your MCE remote

The described method should work for XP32 and Vista32, please also note that EG also supports many more remotes/other input devices.

Some additional information for Vista (32 bit):
The current version of the MCE Remote Plugin in EventGhost stops working after suspend/resume.
However, I have fixed this bug and if needed you can download the fixed version of the dll from the EG support forums.

Until the xbmc mythtv frontend project is finished I need to use both XBMC and Windows MCE 2005. With the standard XBMC for windows install this is a bit of a nightmare as when your in XBMC if you hit the wrong button by mistake ( eg Live TV, Guide etc) it fires up Windows Media Center.
The perfect situation for me would be to have the remote only work with XBMC when in XBMC with perhaps one button ( say the green button) that started MCE and if possible one button when in MCE that would fire up XBMC.
Would this be possible with Event Ghost? What I really want to avoid is messing up the remote in MCE as the family still use this a great deal for line TV.
Does this work with other IR Receivers (USB-UIRT) and a Harmony programmed like an MCE remote?

What doe you mean... connect the action with the events? Can you elaborate?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Where can I find the xbmc plugin for event ghost?

I have the lastest beta but looking under program plugins I can not see it?
Broads Wrote:Where can I find the xbmc plugin for event ghost?

I have the lastest beta but looking under program plugins I can not see it?

A reasonable version of the XBMC plugin is part of beta 0.3.6.1479.
Context Menu Config Tree -> Add Plugin -> Program Control - XBMC

The latest version of the XBMC plugin is available at
http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtopi...6071#p6071

However, as most functions of XBMC are available via keyboard shortcuts the plugin is not even needed to control most aspects of XBMC if you map the remote control events to Emulate Keystroke actions.
Livin Wrote:Does this work with other IR Receivers (USB-UIRT) and a Harmony programmed like an MCE remote?

Yes, have a look at the supported IR-Receiver list.

Livin Wrote:What doe you mean... connect the action with the events? Can you elaborate?

After you have loaded the MCE and the XBMC plugin simply press a button on your remote.
After this, drag and drop the resulting event from the log window of EG to the corresponding XBMC macro on the right.

A tutorial with some more info on EG is available on the following page:
Controlling Your Living Room with EventGhost
F3d0r Wrote:Yes, have a look at the supported IR-Receiver list.

After you have loaded the MCE and the XBMC plugin simply press a button on your remote.
After this, drag and drop the resulting event from the log window of EG to the corresponding XBMC macro on the right.

A tutorial with some more info on EG is available on the following page:
Controlling Your Living Room with EventGhost

cool, thank you for the pointer!
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
MCE remote moves cursor up / down / left / right

But no events are trapped in VISTA.. do I need to apply a different mce driver?
Broads Wrote:MCE remote moves cursor up / down / left / right

But no events are trapped in VISTA.. do I need to apply a different mce driver?

When enabling the Microsoft MCE Remote plugin make sure to check the "Disable HID service for this remote" option.

With this option it works with the standard Vista drivers.
Followed the tutorial and got things working with my mce remote. Even got my harmony one to control xbmc now. But I have one problem left. When using directional buttons and ok button, one press registers as a double push rendering navigation almost impossible. I've tried to configure the mce plugin in eventghost, but increasing the value just makes it worse. I'm not able to lower the value enough to get rid of the problem. However, I can get the harmony to work correctly by adjusting the delays, but then navigation gets too slow. If I shutdown eventghost the ok button and directional buttons work just fine in xbmc.
Thanks F3edor.

I had the wrong beta, took the top item rather than reading the date (doh).
Any how I now have the correct beta, and have the options as stated.

However I run vista x64 with the VISTAMCE remote, I have tried checking and unchecking disable hid, but I can not see any events firing. Any Ideas?
Deepsearch Wrote:Followed the tutorial and got things working with my mce remote. Even got my harmony one to control xbmc now. But I have one problem left. When using directional buttons and ok button, one press registers as a double push rendering navigation almost impossible. I've tried to configure the mce plugin in eventghost, but increasing the value just makes it worse. I'm not able to lower the value enough to get rid of the problem. However, I can get the harmony to work correctly by adjusting the delays, but then navigation gets too slow. If I shutdown eventghost the ok button and directional buttons work just fine in xbmc.

The directional buttons, Ok and some more are already mapped to virtual keyboard presses in the Eventghost virtual keyboard section. If you also map those events to XBMC actions you will see this as double pushes.

Have a look at the EG log window to see what exactly happens when you press these remote buttons.
Broads Wrote:Thanks F3edor.

I had the wrong beta, took the top item rather than reading the date (doh).
Any how I now have the correct beta, and have the options as stated.

However I run vista x64 with the VISTAMCE remote, I have tried checking and unchecking disable hid, but I can not see any events firing. Any Ideas?

I don't think Vista64 is supported by the current EG MCE Remote plugin. If I get the time I will add the necessary code within the the next couple of days.
Thumbs Up 
Ha, so that may explain why I can't get it to do anything, but up down / left right. enter and back a page.

Heres hoping..

I have found this in the ubunto thread. but its in french.. But its my remote !

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=230550

I tried ir server suit as well but I dont understand that program, evet ghost is much more intuitive.

Chears
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO easily get MCE Remote working flawlessly in XBMC with EventGhost1