TV Show Scrapers not working
Hi all
I have just installed xbmc for the first time on the apple tv and then updated to the latest version.
When I put tv shows on the apple tv (via fugu) I created a separate folder in the 'frontrow' folder called 'tvshows'. And I added this folder as a source in the tvshows section of xbmc. When I go to files view they are all there but as soon as I go to library there are no files scanned. I have tried every scraper website in the context menu but no luck - does anyone else have this problem?
I have no problem with Movies - I have them in a separate folder called movies and set the scraper to imdb and they come up perfectly, but as soon as I start updating the tvshows and scanning for new info, the little screen comes up to say that it is scanning but nothing ever happens. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Thanks
Hi there, and welcome to the forums.

If you could be a little more specific on the exact filesystem setup you are using (i.e. what is under the frontrow/tvshows folder?) that would be most useful.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks, it's great a forum like this exists to help us all out!
I am just dropping all the tv shows i have into the 'tvshows' folder i have set up. There are no folders separating the individual tv shows into folders of their own, is this the problem?
Yes. You have to have separate folders to identify each show. XBMC uses the foldernames to identify shows. The episodes are used to get season + episode id's only.

There's quite a bit on this in the online manual - link is in my sig Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Thanks so much for that, probably should have flicked through the manual first Smile
i have another weird problem. i am using thetvdb.com as my scraper for tv shows. It works, but on two shows it wont pick up any info at all...

They are Scooby Doo, Where Are You? and Knight Rider. I even spelled them exactly like how they were on the site. I tried twice to update the library and nothing. Not sure what is wrong. All my other shows are fine though.
I had the same problem with Entourage, I just changed the scraper site and kept rescanning with different sites until one worked.

My new problem is that I can get the folders to identify tv show data but when I switch to Library view, none of the actual episodes are within the folder. The naming conventions have been followed (eg: "family.guy.702.pdtv.xvid-sys.avi") and I have tried checking and unchecking the "contains one tv show in folder" option in the set content menu - does that mean it contains one single episode in the folder OR a set of episodes of one TV show (I don't think the manual is clear on that). Still no luck, there must be something obvious I am doing wrong as the files view can play the videos no problem.
The way I have my folders set up is that each tv show has a different folder set up with in the 'TVShows' folder so it looks like this: /frontrow/TVShows/Family Guy etc etc
Hey Blutackey,

Not sure, but can you try renaming one of your episodes so that the season and episode are more distinguished? IE - change"family.guy.702.pdtv.xvid-sys.avi" to "family.guy.S07E02.avi".

Hope that helps...
mud
I agree with Mudiroc, I find that the S01E01 naming works much better. Try renaming it to:

family.guy.S07E02.avi

Also, your folder structure should look like this:

TV Shows
-- Family Guy
---- Season 1
------ <season 1 avi files>
---- Season 2
------ <season 2 avi files>

etc

If you do this, then you should be able to "set content" on your TV Shows source, tell it to "run an automated scan" and it should pick up ALL the content. The only time you should click the "folder contains a single TV show" button is if you do "set content" on a single TV show folder, but you shouldn't need to do this if you get the naming right and then "scan for new content" or "run automated scan" on the TV Shows source.
Great! Thanks for clearing that up, that is exactly what I wanted, a clear example. Does the online manual have a good example of the folder structure?
I have switched over from sapphire and with that, you just throw everything into the one folder and it picks out movies from tvshows and also specific seasons & episodes, I made a wrong assumption that this would do the same.
actually the season folders are not needed, XBMC does not care about the folder structure below the showname folder.

The only must is that you that you need to have a separate folder for each of your shows
(and yes, that should be documented)
If you have suggestions on improvements to the docs, please post them here and I will take them into consideration:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=TV_Shows_(Video_Library)
Ok so I set the file structure up exactly as stated:

TVShows (no space - doesn't matter does it?)
-- Family Guy (spaces in these though)
---- Season 1 (and spaces in these too)
------ <season 1 avi files>
---- Season 7
------ <season 7 avi files> (eg Family.Guy.S0702.avi - no crap at the end to make it a clean-looking file)

And even though you don't need separate folders for each season, I did this anyway. I then set content to an IMDb tv Show scraper and ran an automated scan. When browsing in Library, all the TV Shows come up with the tv artwork, plot etc but it says 0 episodes and when i go into a specific tv show's folder (eg family guy) no episodes show up. In files mode all the episodes are there, but obviously I would like to run from library mode.
I tried to scan for new content on each of the tv shows folders in library mode and file mode but no luck either. Can someone please help - this is driving me nuts!! And as I have said before, the movies section works flawlessly - it's just the tv shows!

Oh and just so the process is completely clear - the 'TV Shows' folder is under the 'frontrow' folder, so the full structure (when looking in fugu for example) is: /mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow/TVShows/Family Guy/Season 7
I also cleared all content and re added the TVShows folder to sources and set content again, so I know that set content is only applied to the root 'TVShows' folder and not all the separate shows within the 'TVShows' folder (as suggested above).

Any ideas?
i have absolutely NO idea what the state of the imdb tvshow scraper is. use the tvdb one.
in any case, you want help you need to atleast provide version and logs
Try again with thetvdb.com scraper - it is by far the most up to date. The others may well be out of date. A Debug Log may reveal the problems.

EDIT: spiff agrees Smile

How do i get a debug log?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV Show Scrapers not working0