[Apple TV] Logitech Harmony Remote support with XBMC for AppleTV?
Question 
So I'm preparing to load XBMC onto my new Apple TV, but I am concerned about the tiny remote Apple supplies. With so few buttons and controls available, it seems to me that I would be happier with a more 'normal' remote. I have been using a Harmony remote programed for my old Xbox with XBMC for well over a year and have had no issues. There is an Apple TV remote profile for the Harmony remote on Logitech's site, but I'm curious if it's possible to map the other buttons from the remote within XBMC. For example the 'Guide' button or the 'Display' button. These obviously do not exist within the Apple TV remote. In order to use those features you need to hold down certain button combinations.

So in short, can XBMC map IR signals (Button presses from any remote) that are not part of the normal Apple TV remote? Or is it limited to those few buttons and their combinations?
Bump.

So I successfully installed and updated XBMC to Atlantis Beta 2 on my Apple TV. All works as expected, and it seems to perform as well as it does on my old Xbox. My only concern is the button mapping. I am using a Harmony 550 universal remote with the remote codes downloaded from the Logitech database. Unfortunately it does not work as I had hoped. For instance, if I push the Pause button while a full-screen video is playing, it brings up the OSD Menu. Then I have to press Pause again to actually pause the video. At no time can I press the 'Stop' button and stop the video. I do know how to edit the Keymap.xml, but don't know what the remote codes would be for the functions on my Harmony that do not have similar buttons one the Apple Remote.

Can I use the 'Apple Remote' settings somehow to allow me to map the other buttons? Is there a ShowRemoteCodes setting for the XBMC for Apple TV?
Im wondering this too, as that tiny remote would get lost pretty easily in my room, lol.
CASHMON3Y Wrote:Im wondering this too, as that tiny remote would get lost pretty easily in my room, lol.

You're telling me! I spent 15 mins looking for the damn thing today. I hate how it feels too. It just seems like apple took a shortcut when they made this item. Mine squeaks when you press the - on it. It would be nice if there was a way to get full remote functionality. I think Divilla said something about it one responds to certain IR commands.
Well I did a little searching but didn't come up with anything. Was hoping Divilla would have a more definitive answer. Glad to know I'm not the only one curious though! Hopefuly someone with more knowledge of the backend of the Apple TV notices this thread.
I think currently only AppleRemotes remote codes are supported, that is: Play, Play_hold, (Back,Fwd,Up,Down)(all with push and release events), Menu and Menu_hold. Harmony can be programmed to send exactly those
events.

There is a so called "Universal Mode" which is not yet implemented on AppleTV. IIRC it basically uses "Menu_Hold" as a start token, so that following button presses are collected and send as one event. This will allow users of universal remotes to program their remotes to do more stuff, e.g. go directly to video menu etc.

About loosing the small remote:
Probably worth a try would be to tie something like a big book to the small remote. That should help finding or prevent loosing it Smile

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Im just surprised that this isnt implemented yet, as theres a pretty generous amount of Atv users, and I dont know how they are satisified with the remote. Plus isnt it all just software thats limiting the remotes? Or does hardware block them?
CASHMON3Y Wrote:Im just surprised that this isnt implemented yet, as theres a pretty generous amount of Atv users, and I dont know how they are satisified with the remote. Plus isnt it all just software thats limiting the remotes? Or does hardware block them?

It's only software that needs to be done. Most of the code is already there (XBMCHelper), but not ported to Launcher yet. Feel free to port code and create a ticket with patches. Otherwise this needs to wait until other Launcher issues are sorted out.

Personally I'm pretty fine with the apple remote, nevertheless I'll implement universal mode when time allows.
Thanks for your feedback.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
Yes I would love to see harmony support.... I just installed XBMC on my atv last night and I`m already frustrated... How do you fast forward again ?

Now to look for a SMB answers Smile
Running since XBMP
MaestroDD Wrote:It's only software that needs to be done. Most of the code is already there (XBMCHelper), but not ported to Launcher yet. Feel free to port code and create a ticket with patches. Otherwise this needs to wait until other Launcher issues are sorted out.

Awesome, so I am not going insane. The feature is there just not active yet. Any idea what time frame we are looking at before it's functioning? A few weeks? A month?

Basically I just want to figure if I should try to port it myself or wait for someone more skilled to do it.

Thanks for your help!
Tim, did you or anyone else ever end up porting this? I've just bought an apple tv myself and i'm keen to get my harmony fully working with it also.
Hey guys,

here's something to play with:
http://code.google.com/p/atv-xbmc-launch...versalMode

As this is currently only a testing version there is some manual configuration needed. Please report problems or success stories here.

cheers,
MDD

Alternate remotes would be neat and useful under current conditions.
My preference might be a Logitech diNovo Mini .. if that day ever comes.
But for now, I have just bought an extra Apple remote in case I lose it, step on it or one of the cats bats it under the fridge at night ... d'oh. Better to be safe than sorry ... and I don't want any XBMC withdrawal. But if anyone has any feedback on the diNovo Mini, please chime in and share. Nod
So has anyone had any success with using Universal Mode to get ATV XBMC working much more like Xbox XBMC? I am in the same boat as Tim, an Xbox XBMC user extremely frustrated by the 6-button interface of ATV XBMC.
darklordjames3 Wrote:So has anyone had any success with using Universal Mode to get ATV XBMC working much more like Xbox XBMC? I am in the same boat as Tim, and Xbox XBMC user extremely frustrated by the 6-button interface of ATV XBMC.

I'm not sure if anyone tested this. Please feel free to do so and report back!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV] Logitech Harmony Remote support with XBMC for AppleTV?0