Basic audio-amplification or "boost", (like in XBMP)
currently this is the only thing stopping me from using xbmc for every video that i watch, some videos (particularly those with an ac3 track) are way too quiet in xbmc and i have to use xbmp to watch them.
would it be possible to increase the audio volume in xbmc or implement a 'normalise' option? for some videos at the moment i have to turn up my hi-fi so loud that i can hear a buzzing sound on quiet parts. xbmp is louder anyway, but it also has the 'normalise' and 'amplify audio output' options which help to boost the sound if necessary.
btw, i'm using the analogue stereo output not the digital output.

thanks.
k, changed it. default volume is @ it loudest right now
frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
cool, thanks frodo. i'll go check it out.
Thumbs Up 
i wanted to request audio amplification like in xbmp, if its possible to add on or if your already working on it, the main reason i still have xbmp is because the amplification sounds great on my entertainment center. thanx
i'd like something like this too. some videos are way too quiet in xbmc. (frodo, i know you said you'd turned the volume up to maximum, but it doesn't seem to have made much difference.)
just a small follow up/report.

volume is still very low in mc compared to mp.

it's still at the point that my hifi has to almost at max while watching movies.

kids ears melt if i forget to turn the volume down when they want to watch childrens-tv. hehehe

-s
like i said the volume is at it loudest right now

only way to pump it up is using software volume amplification
however if your movies are encoded right that shouldnt be needed.
frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
i saw that you've set it at max. (more than once also).

does xbmp use volume adjustment software then? (since audio there is fine).
this low volume is especially noticeable when playing .iso dvd rips.  i am trying the 1-15-04 version.
I seem to remember some time way back when that you could set amplification of individual videos or on the video settings screen.

My audio library is much louder than my videos - whilst i can fix this for future rips (if necessary) by increasing the volume of the video during the encoding, it isn't ideal.

Is there a setting still in one of the config files (not the GUI, obviously) which will let me "boost" the gain of the soundtracks to my videos?

Thanks in advance,

J
Change audio gain in settings Wink Play one video and set your volume up then set it as default there for all your videos. Should take care of it.
Change audio gain in settings?

There is no such setting. There is volume (which is 0db), DRC, Delay and Stream etc but no gain.

As I said, I remember there used to be an "amplification" value but it doesn't seen to be anywhere any more. The volume setting would let me attenuate the volume but I need to boost it over the music level.

Thanks - if I've missed anything, please let me know! Smile
DRC is what you want.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

OK, redneck edumacation time... when you have a default of )db and you change that to a default of say +6db that then becomes a GAIN. Or even an increase... so sorry for not making that anymore transparent guys.

Jeez
Thanks jmarshall for a helpful post. :-)

I assumed that dynamic range compression would produce emphasis on the bass and treble attenuating the midrange to provide a more pleasing output derived from AC3. In my case, it doesn't seem to provide the increase in audio I require. Regardless of the encoding of my videos (most are 160kbps CBR MP3), the audio is always much quieter than the MP3s in my music library.

Now, HarshReality - if that's what you'd consider a good and informative post, you're much mistaken. You're clearly a rude, uninformed fool. Are you 15 or 16 by any chance? You'll find that when you mature, you'll think before making a post.

As a 36 year-old with a PhD in particle physics (which I'm quite good at), I do understand the dB scale, thank you. Congratulations on grasping the concept yourself. I assume the scale on xbmc is semi-accurate, this -3dB should equate to approximately half the amplitude of the 0dB setting. I say "semi-accurate" since obviously -3dB is actually 0.7071, not 0.5.

However, if you take the time to look at the xbmc volume control when playing a video, you'll note that the highest setting is 0dB (actual volume) and the setting attenuates from there.

Unless of course, you meant the DRC value in which case you should have said so - you originally said "audio gain" (a setting which doesn't even exist in xbmc). Perhaps you should get jmarshall to have a talk with you - he managed to convey more accurate information in just five words.

Oh and by the way, HarshReality, when trying to prove how much more educated you are than others, it helps not to make spelling mistakes and typos.

In the meantime, if you find a way of forcing the volume setting to +6dB, as you have suggested, it'd be very helpful, thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Basic audio-amplification or "boost", (like in XBMP)0