Tweaked Vista MCE blows away XBMC's video playback quality... :(
Question 
I was so bummed to test both Vista MCE + tweaks (see: http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/187109.aspx) against XBMC on Vista. MCE is WAY better in terms of quality... The frame rate and basic overall frame quality is night and day on my 1080p plasma.

I would rather have the XBMC functionality but if the quality isn't up to par, then I have no options. Are there any tweaks I'm missing on XBMC?

Help! Thanks!
trying to advertise? linking to media center fanpage.

nice try
You can use, to great effect, the externalplayer option http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40136

That way you'll be able to use XBMC and at the same time have access to the more mature playback options on Windows (CoreACV, ffdshow, etc.). Use either MPC-HC or Zoom Player and you are good to go.
nekrosoft13 Wrote:trying to advertise? linking to media center fanpage.

nice try

Dude, I'm an XBMC fan through and through. I linked to that page so you could see the config instead of me copying and pasting. Sorry.

Take er easy!
ashlar Wrote:You can use, to great effect, the externalplayer option http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40136

That way you'll be able to use XBMC and at the same time have access to the more mature playback options on Windows (CoreACV, ffdshow, etc.). Use either MPC-HC or Zoom Player and you are good to go.

Awesome! This worked like a charm! I ended up finding http://ocs.nl/xbmc/ for the compiled patch btw.

Thank you so much! Now I just use the c:\windows\ehome\ehshell.exe for my videos! Perfect!
splitsecond Wrote:Awesome! This worked like a charm! I ended up finding http://ocs.nl/xbmc/ for the compiled patch btw.

Thank you so much! Now I just use the c:\windows\ehome\ehshell.exe for my videos! Perfect!

and now go and change that thread title and wash out your mouth with soap Tongue
Jester Wrote:and now go and change that thread title and wash out your mouth with soap Tongue

How do I do that? Huh
splitsecond Wrote:How do I do that? Huh

not sure if you can, but try and edit the first post
the 'adjust frame rate' option and a decent cpu does the trick for me...
you should really consider something like media player classic home cinema if you're going to be launching an external player

using xbmc to launch mce is a pretty ass-about way to play movies using system codecs imo Smile
fanclub Wrote:you should really consider something like media player classic home cinema if you're going to be launching an external player

using xbmc to launch mce is a pretty ass-about way to play movies using system codecs imo Smile

But I like XBMC as my main interface... Whats wrong with that?
I think the comment is more geared to the fact that you are using XBMC interface to launch MCE interface. Why not bypass the MCE interface and just go directly to a player (that uses system codecs) which was the goal.

splitsecond Wrote:But I like XBMC as my main interface... Whats wrong with that?
no no, what i mean is using xbmc (a media center application) to launch windows media center (another media center application) is an ass-about way to launch a player using system codecs

what i was meaning is rather than load windows media center as your external application, launch a light-weight player such as media player classic home cinema

you still get all the advantages such as quality, as you mentioned previously, of system codecs but in a much more versatile and resource-friendly player (not saying that WMC is a resource hog, but it requires more guts to run that MPC-HC).
fanclub Wrote:no no, what i mean is using xbmc (a media center application) to launch windows media center (another media center application) is an ass-about way to launch a player using system codecs

what i was meaning is rather than load windows media center as your external application, launch a light-weight player such as media player classic home cinema

you still get all the advantages such as quality, as you mentioned previously, of system codecs but in a much more versatile and resource-friendly player (not saying that WMC is a resource hog, but it requires more guts to run that MPC-HC).

hehe.. i guess he already meant that he want to use media player and not the whole media center Wink

on the other hand: using another player will render my remote config useless, doesn't it?

since another app gets focus, i will have to switch remote control interpretation scripts before i can use another player's controls - and an osd that is half as cool as the one from xbmc Sad
cheers,azido :;):
azido Wrote:hehe.. i guess he already meant that he want to use media player and not the whole media center Wink

on the other hand: using another player will render my remote config useless, doesn't it?

since another app gets focus, i will have to switch remote control interpretation scripts before i can use another player's controls - and an osd that is half as cool as the one from xbmc Sad

i imagine it would yeah, maybe you could configure something like IRSS to map xbmc functions to the same codes as your external player's functions

probably a lot more time and effort require than most would want to put in, but if you configure it for one key and can confirm that it is actually achievable then at least it'd be worth the effort to map more keys Smile

you'd probably also want to use a player that quits automatically once a file has finished playing... would save you having to press a key to exit the program and return to xbmc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tweaked Vista MCE blows away XBMC's video playback quality... :(0