a few problems with XBMC
I love XBMC but i find a few problems that i wish could be fix or maybe i am doing something wrong.

1.could XBMC be made to use only 1 button like on the xbox the "B" button so it stops videos,goes updir,closes menus,cancles so on. Right now on XBMC i have the option of like 5 buttons that all do different things.

i setup as best as i could but i still couldn't make weather page and settings work on one button i think they use different buttons to go back to menu. Shouldn't this be more consistent through out the UI?

2. why not have it if your press context menu and u press it again why not have it close ? some things do it and some don't this should be more consistent as well. one example is OSD if u press it once it shows up and if you press it again it closes but right now i have to press another button to close the context menu.

3.This i don't know if its my fault or XBMC but i cant navigate the virtual keyboard that pops up ? i can do with only a mouse which makes it pointless when you have a remote.
EMK0 Wrote:I love XBMC but i find a few problems that i wish could be fix or maybe i am doing something wrong.

1.could XBMC be made to use only 1 button like on the xbox the "B" button so it stops videos,goes updir,closes menus,cancles so on. Right now on XBMC i have the option of like 5 buttons that all do different things.

i setup as best as i could but i still couldn't make weather page and settings work on one button i think they use different buttons to go back to menu. Shouldn't this be more consistent through out the UI?

2. why not have it if your press context menu and u press it again why not have it close ? some things do it and some don't this should be more consistent as well. one example is OSD if u press it once it shows up and if you press it again it closes but right now i have to press another button to close the context menu.

3.This i don't know if its my fault or XBMC but i cant navigate the virtual keyboard that pops up ? i can do with only a mouse which makes it pointless when you have a remote.

1. there are 3 buttons and everyone has it's own specific function
X - stop video/audio
Backspace - updir,...
ESC - cancel, back to main menu, ...
They are different... ex. if you would like to go to main menu but not stopping video you use ESC. this cannot be done with one button.
About this ESC I still don't know which button brings video back to FS. Only mouse click on small video in left bottom corner brings it back?

2. which one is context menu?

3. I also cannot navigate on virtual keyboart with remote control
So I'm wondering about this too.:confused2:
OK backspace works perfect for me BUT for weather and settings it doesn't go back to the main menu as it does with video,picture,music and so on. it would work perfect for me if i could make 1 button do all for my remote control just like it was able to do this on the xbox.

On a keyboard i see that it works fine for what they did but on a remote i have a limited number of buttons and its more user friendly to have one look at an ipod one button for going back a menu not 3.

for context menu i mean things lime movie info and other pop up menus
In regard to #3 your remote must be sending keyboard commands instead of remote codes (many do), AFAIK there is a ticket on trac already.
I believe spiff added a workaround for the virtual keyboard stuff already. I still have some work to do on that to improve it a bit though.

ESCAPE is _always_ back one screen. Perhaps you are referring to BACKSPACE, which may or may not go back one screen (it goes back one _level_ of the directory structure by default, and if at the root may go back one screen).

And TAB switches between fullscreen and UI at any time.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

thank you for the quick responses.

i installed event ghost and i manged to bind two xbmc buttons to 1 i cant remember what they are called but one behaves as just like keyboard button backspace and the other a close button for any pop up menus to close them like the movie info page and so on. the only problem i have is still with weather page and settings page they do not want to go back to the main xbmc menu. other menus like video i can browse my videos and can press the button and it will eventually get to the main xbmc menu.

Is there any way to make weather/settings to behave like the other menus? is this hardcoded or something i can change in a file?
if there is anyway to get it to work like this would be perfect i wont have to worry about mapping another button just so i can go back for weather and settings page.

thanks for the help
You mapped your remote to "Backspace" in that case.

You need to map it to "Escape", or modify your keymap.xml file so that Backspace does the same as Escape in those screens (weather, settings) in which it currently doesn't work.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

but doesn't escape bring u right back to the xbmc main menu? with backspace it goes back for example i could be in show/season1/ and if i press it once it would go to show/ but with escape it brings me right to the main menu.

i will go look at keymap.xml

thank you for your help
i had to get eventghost to emulate keyboard button backspace and add
<keyboard>
<backspace>PreviousMenu</backspace>
</keyboard>
to keymaps to weather and settings and now its working perfect Smile

thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
a few problems with XBMC0