The unfortunate case of one particular Meedios skin
Something was brought to my attention recently (on Christmas Eve, sadly) which has upset me quite a bit. It's probably quite trivial in the grand scheme of things but I feel strongly about the principles of the matter. I'm only making a public thing of it because, as I've had no prior contact with the person in question, it's already been public for quite some time.

So I get an email asking why Aeon Stark is "copying" a skin called Chrome for Meedios. Obviously I'm a bit miffed by this given the hundreds - it might even be pushing 1,000, frighteningly enough - of hours I've spent making Aeon as unique as possible. The mailer generously supplies a link which I follow to find this:

This, then, is a skin for Meedios that, from what I can see, offers no indication to the user that it's a derivative work. Clearly, because it's being made for an entirely different app, this has caused some confusion and, in one case, a bit of anger. At no point was I asked about this, or even made aware of it until yesterday.

Thinking about it, though, I remember a similar occasion before of someone mailing me and asking if I'd consented to something a wee bit similar, in that case involving Aeon's old menu appearing in another Meedios skin, Vintage. It seems that both that Chrome are by the same author.

Having looked in a bit more detail at the history of these two skins, I have to say that it pains me to make an issue of this. The author is clearly a man of talent and inspiration, as evidenced by his previous work. What's happened, though, is that his inspiration has been increasingly replaced by mine to the point where it's now affecting me directly.

In short (bit late for that, heh), I am not happy about this situation. I hate speaking ill of talented people and have no intention of making this personal. However, I also place huge value on the rights of an artist to keep their work unique. I haven't sweated blood over Aeon to have it debuted elsewhere before I'm even done, under a different name without any prior discussion. I've requested that the overt similarities between Chrome and Aeon be removed immediately - ironically, I note that the author in question once requested that Vintage not be ported to XBMC - but also feel it necessary to make a statement here.

I don't want this matter to persist. I don't want emails accusing me of theft. I will not release screens of Aeon if this is the result. Hopefully you understand my feelings on the matter. If not, please tell me I'm an idiot and I'll try to see your point.
I totally agree with everything you just said.
i feel ya .. thats some bullshit on the part of that skinner
I am surprised you are takeing it as well as you are?
If the bloke in question is so talented why the hell can't he develope
his own skins it's completely wrong, and to be honest you will not be the only one.
I recently installed an application called Media portal and many skins for that looked like they had been copied from many XBMC skins i actually started looking for some of the names i know well but did not find any mention of the likes of mike beecham jezz x.

Funny thing is the software is not a patch on xbmc.
In the long run it will only put people like yourself from releasing any more of your work
Which i feel would be a real shameBlush
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
Well, before any pitchforks get flung in the wrong direction, I should mention that the Aeon ports for Media Portal were all cleared with me before any work was done. So credit to those guys. This is a different matter.
o.k. i see the point. but i also see a lot of difference between yours and the other skin.
@ djh I know exactly how you feel. I also think the guy is very talented as a skin designer (and to that effect, a coder) but that this time around its just a blatant rip off of your skin. I could understand him "borrowing" your menu for his skin the last time around because he felt that it added to his skin nicely (and it did) but in that case he asked your permission and most of the other screens were different enough to distinguish itself from Aeon. I don't understand what he was thinking this time. He basically just ported your skin over to the Meedio platform (and without even asking).

I hope this doesn't effect your feelings on trying to get this skin done soon. Perhaps your only failure was that you made this skin just too damn awesome not to want to copy it. lol. Keep up the good work and hopefully everyone on their forum will soon realize that he copied you not the other way around
so are you asking him to remove all "cloned" pages from his skin all together or just asking for credit?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
Incredibly rude of the one guy to call you out. It's quite obvious you made the original designs.
It looks like a pretty cheap knock off.
Not pretty cheap extremely cheap knock off.
So what are you gonna do about it DJH or is there nothing you can do.

I suppose you could hack into there site and write over the picture stolen property.
will be interesting to see the reply... http://www.meedios.com/forum/viewtopic.p...6893#56893
ads_german Wrote:will be interesting to see the reply... http://www.meedios.com/forum/viewtopic.p...6893#56893

Nice one though they will probably gas you for thatLaugh
you the man ! DJH. nothing is gonna change that.

You history here on the board is clear and present. It show the real founder of your skin-style!
XBMC on HTPC with Ubuntu 12.04 connected to Amahi Home Server 750GB+1TB storage.
XBMC is probably the best thing that ever happened to me...!!! You people Rock!!!

HTPC: MB: Asus P5N7A-VM DDR: 2 x 1 GB Kingston CPU: Intel Core2DUO E8400 @ 3,0 GHz Coller: Scythe Shuriken
agree, thats 100% a clone job.. shame on him..

djh made a thread at meedios,
http://www.meedios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4166

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The unfortunate case of one particular Meedios skin0